Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 14:51   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Two Raw Water Intakes?

I just aquired a 1979 Spirit 28 sailboat. The previous owner had begun a rehab on the galley plumbing, and am trying to finish the job. I have noticed that there are two (2) thru hull raw water intakes for the yanmar diesel located under the galley sink. They are connected by a head scratching configuration of PVC and rubber hoses. Certainly not "original equipment". Woul it be safe to assume that one of those thru hulls is for the galley sink drain?
NickChickamauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 14:54   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Two Raw Water Intakes?

Perhaps, but it could be redundancy.

One blocks up - immediately use the other one ????
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 16:25   #3

Number one rule when dealing with Ships engineering never put assume & safe in the same sentence. Trace it out make a positive id.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 16:27   #4

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

We have 2, some previous owner added the second. Also have an upsized heat exchanger, so I'm guessing the 2nd through hull was an attempt to cure an overheating issue. We never open the second one, no problems.

I think 2 intakes is unusual, it's probably safe to assume 1 was intended for the sink.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:14   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nick.

What Doug said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:50   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChickamauga View Post
I just aquired a 1979 Spirit 28 sailboat. The previous owner had begun a rehab on the galley plumbing, and am trying to finish the job. I have noticed that there are two (2) thru hull raw water intakes for the yanmar diesel located under the galley sink. They are connected by a head scratching configuration of PVC and rubber hoses. Certainly not "original equipment". Woul it be safe to assume that one of those thru hulls is for the galley sink drain?
Are both thruhulls the spec'ed diameter for the Yanmar intake?

Is there no other thruhull that's obviously for the galley sink?

I think it's a bit fruitless to ask us here without the benefit of more information, not to mention pictures.

Personally, I believe that raw water intakes for engines should be designed so you can unclog them from inside the boat; a long enough hose that you can lift above the waterline so you can ream it out, and no strainer grate on the exterior. That obviates the "let's drill another hole in the boat for a back up" approach.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:40   #7

Boat: Spirit 28

I own a 1981 Spirit 28. Yes one thru hull is for the engine and the other is a sink drain. I have owned my Spirit for 10yrs. It was featured last summer in Good Old Boat magazine. I cruise and race my boat and have done many mods. I love it and wont trade it. Please call or email if you want more info about your Spirit 28.
Jim McCraw
417-848-3773 cell
mgman@ipa.net
Old 09-05-2018, 08:53   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

I have a spare intake from an old water cooled refrigeration system so I plumbed it to the engine water intake. It it within six inches of the engine intake. Since it was there I thought why not increase the engine flow capability.

I did use proper hoses and fittings, not PVC.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:28   #9

Boat: 41' yawl

Rawwater intakes generally have a coarse strainer on the exterior of the boat, sink drains obviously do not.

It'd be ironic if the "redundancy" of plumbing in an additional intake actually allowed some hunk of shmutz into the piping and clogged it up whereas a single, proper rawwater intake would have prevented it.

....But if you are dying to do something clever, I've seen this setup and really like it:

(cap, above waterline)
|
|
|---- (inboard strainer, then to engine)
|
|
(rawwater intake seacock)

Now, if you pick up something that clogs you from the outside of the boat, you can take off that cap, poke a coathanger or something down there, and free your clog without going for a swim. Maybe.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:52   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Rawwater intakes generally have a coarse strainer on the exterior of the boat, sink drains obviously do not.

It'd be ironic if the "redundancy" of plumbing in an additional intake actually allowed some hunk of shmutz into the piping and clogged it up whereas a single, proper rawwater intake would have prevented it.

....But if you are dying to do something clever, I've seen this setup and really like it:

(cap, above waterline)
|
|
|---- (inboard strainer, then to engine)
|
|
(rawwater intake seacock)

Now, if you pick up something that clogs you from the outside of the boat, you can take off that cap, poke a coathanger or something down there, and free your clog without going for a swim. Maybe.
Both of my redundant intakes have external strainers. It one were to be clogged, lets say by a plastic bag (it has happened) I probably wouldn't even notice.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 20:34   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Why is the Yanmar engine located under the galley sink?

Is there a watermaker on board? Could engine raw water intake supply a watermaker with the other seacock for reject brine exaust?
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:57   #12

My Catalina 30 has Three ( 3 ) sea water intakes.
1. Engine cooling
2. Sink Drain
3. Feed for a foot pump to pump sea water to the sink spiggot.
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water