Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2024, 12:08   #1

Boat: 10m Catamaran
Twin Disk SP60 Sail Drive Clutch Problems

OK, Starting a new thread so as not to hijack.

We have 2 x Twin Disk/Technodrive SP60 sail drives mated to Beta 20's on our catamaran. The port drive has just started to slip when going into forward. reverse is fine. I've had various marine engineers look at it and most will not entertain a fix. The suggestion is that I get the unit pulled and fit a new one as it will be uneconomic to fix and any such fix will not be guaranteed to work! So I thought I would check with Twin Disk themselves and they concur. "The unit must be shipped back to us, stripped down and rebuilt".

Now this drive has done around 200 hours and is 2.5 years old. So basically Beta/Twin Disk are saying that the life expectancy of this drive is possibly < 3 years. Moreover, the clutch is not serviceable in-situ and the unit must be pulled and rebuilt.

It took me a while to process but this just seems ridiculous to me. If the serviceability / build quality of these drives is so bad then why would I fit another one?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Have you successfully serviced your drive in-situ? Should I just buy a Volvo instead?

I'm confused!
JonnyDotNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:24   #2

Boat: None
Re: Twin Disk SP60 Sail Drive Clutch Problems

There is a clutch/shift adjustment that can be made in situ. It may or may not solve the problem.

If the mechanics you are using don't know about this adjustment, you need to get better mechanics. You can also try type-F ATF. This ATF is a bit less slippery than Dexron or Mercon and may make the cones take up quicker.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
There is a clutch/shift adjustment that can be made in situ. It may or may not solve the problem.

If the mechanics you are using don't know about this adjustment, you need to get better mechanics. You can also try type-F ATF. This ATF is a bit less slippery than Dexron or Mercon and may make the cones take up quicker.
Thanks, Yes I discovered this thanks to one of your earlier posts. When I mentioned it to the engineers they said it "might" solve the problem for a short while but is "not recommended" as the damage has been done...
Old 01-02-2024, 14:32   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

Ours had to be warranteed after only 200 hours. Lost forward completely. Ultimately they decided to replace the drive rather than fix. Took a few months of back and forth and having a tech drive 200 miles to look at it.
Old 02-02-2024, 02:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
Ours had to be warranteed after only 200 hours. Lost forward completely. Ultimately they decided to replace the drive rather than fix. Took a few months of back and forth and having a tech drive 200 miles to look at it.
I'm surprised you managed to get warranty. In the UK it's up to two years or less than 200 hours whichever is less. Can I ask what propeller you were using?
Old 02-02-2024, 04:41   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 419

What's the cost to rebuild?

or replace
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:50   #7

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDotNet View Post
I'm surprised you managed to get warranty. In the UK it's up to two years or less than 200 hours whichever is less. Can I ask what propeller you were using?
It may have actually been less than 200 hours. It was our first year with the drive. And we have Maxprops.

I don't remember the exact issue, but there was a gear that was press fit into something else, and it just popped out. They couldn't identify the cause.

We had an approved Beta installer (who was actually a nightmare, but that's another story), so they didn't try to blame it on me, which is nice.

Beta has been very nice to work with through the process in fact.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:14   #8

Our boat has them since 2013, 800 ish hours and they seem good. Hope they stay that way.
Eric Jan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 04:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Jan View Post
Our boat has them since 2013, 800 ish hours and they seem good. Hope they stay that way.
Me too . What props are you using?
Old 03-02-2024, 04:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
It may have actually been less than 200 hours. It was our first year with the drive. And we have Maxprops.
I only ask as there has been a suggestion that auto-adjusting propellers such as Brunton Autoprops put a lot of strain on the clutch when they are changing direction. Not sure if this is true or just another way for manufacturers to wriggle out of warranty. Before I buy another Seaprop 60 I will need it in writing that the warranty is good for any style of propeller I use.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
What's the cost to rebuild?

or replace
I couldn't get an exact quote to rebuild as "it depends" but the advice I've had from Beta approved installers is that it would be almost as expensive as replacement. The clutch itself is £500 and a set of seals £500. Add in labour costs and you are looking at £2500 total I reckon. A new SP60 is around £3000 + VAT. You can see why many choose to replace.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:15   #12

Quote:
Me too . What props are you using?
fixed 2 blade 14x11 (If i remember right)

with Vetus 27HP M3.28 engines on a Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 catamaran.
(Wouldn't mind a bit more power, but it is what it is)
Old 03-02-2024, 05:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Jan View Post
fixed 2 blade 14x11 (If i remember right)

with Vetus 27HP M3.28 engines on a Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42 catamaran.
(Wouldn't mind a bit more power, but it is what it is)
Hmmm, not exactly putting any pressure on your sail drives then is it? Do you lock the transmission when sailing?
Old 03-02-2024, 05:20   #14

Quote:
Hmmm, not exactly putting any pressure on your sail drives then is it? Do you lock the transmission when sailing?
Nope but the topic starter has only 20HP if I read that right.

And yes, locking reverse when sailing. Next to the annoying very light rattle the manual says you can't leave it in neutral running with the boat for more than 6 hours anyways.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:22   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 419

I have a 2017, with 1900 hours, since I just bought it other than maintenance records changing fluid I don't know much
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, sail, sail drive