Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 11:17   #1

Boat: Prout Quest 31
Trolling motor bow mount for sailing catamaran

Here is my '78 Prout 31 - which I Love!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/185f...ew?usp=sharing

I almost impacted a bridge on the ICW once when my yanmar stalled in a current.

On another occasion in the C&D canal a belt failed and again I was without any propulsion to avoid commercial traffic in a narrow canal.

Without a bow thruster this boat is very difficult to maneuver in a strong beam wind - the bow blows right over.

Entering the inlet at Jacksonville against a strong current my SINGLE 13HP Yanmar 2GM diesel with pivoting Sillette drive leg very underpowered - only achieved 1kt of speed.

My solution to being underpowered, without backup, without bow thruster would be to add a Bow mounted trolling motor. I know i won't win any races, just need it to move in emergencies.

I was considering the riptide terrova 112 with 72" shaft (must cut bow railings). wondering if Minn Kota EM drives might be better power recommendation but requires custom bow mount.

This example of what somebody built for their pontoon boat.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1er4...ew?usp=sharing

I'd like to make a similar type BOW mount, retractable, height from deck to waterline 45". I would manually deploy aimed to either side as bow thruster or for forward propulsion so I only need throttle control not steering. I don't need all the bell's and whistles of the riptide terrova. The pictured electric motors are 160lbs of thrust ($1300 plus mount and 2 batteries) vs the Riptide 112 lbs thrust ($2300 plus 3 batteries.)

1. Can the 18' control cable of the EM be extended by a professional marine electrician?
2. Would the mount benefit from a cavitation plate?
3. Couldn't I buy Minn Kota 72" shaft or other stock parts for the custom design?
3. Suggestions on any other way for me to meet described needs?

Just for fun I fantasize about adding a depth transducer at the bow to solve that other problem i run into
jvolpehoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 12:16   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Trolling motor bow mount for sailing catamaran

I dream of having one of these myself and am curious to see what you find.

I can't do a bow thruster because I only have inches of bow underwater up there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, motor, sail, sailing