Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 06:34   #16

Boat: Corbin39
Re: Transmission cable broke - I had to go analog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Allie Rose View Post
3. I went "analog"

Not sure where to find a "digital" cable but I wouldn't call the chandlery asking for a "digital shift cable".

I just replaced my shift and throttle cables last summer. You can get Teleflex (formerly Morse) cables on Amazon. That was the best price I could find.
You just need to know the length and then order the appropriate size. Don't go any shorter than what you already have. A tad too long is better than a tad too short.
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 07:23   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Allie Rose View Post
When attempting to shift the boat in gear yesterday morning, there was a significant amount of force beyond what was normal required to move the transmission from neutral into forward/reverse.

When finally saying "f*&k it" and "forcing" the lever forward, the resistance completely dissipated and I knew I messed up. Whatever the cable is that attaches to the arm on the transmission that engage forward/reverse had snapped/sheered.

FYI - Engine = Yanmar 4JH5E... not sure if that's enough info to tell what transmission I have...

Questions:
1. What is this cable called? (photo attached)
2. How do I replace it/part number? Is this an easy fix?
3. I went "analog" to get out of the marina, and manually moved the "arm" downward to put the boat into forward gear, and then back to the middle position once clear of the docks. The weather was too perfect to let this hiccup prevent a good time sailing. Docking the boat during slack tide thereafter involved utilizing the same "analog" approach, without issue. (Without issue - although I'd prefer to not have to do this again).

Of note, this "arm" moves freely and without too much resistance, so I'm curious why there was so much resistance to begin with? Could it have been bent, unknown to me? That's all I can think of.

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know. I'm happy to answer any questions and will be sure to post additional photos once fixed.
The cable is Teleflex. Usually, same each end. They are sized by length. You might find the Teleflex number pressed into the plastic sheath. Hunt for a cheap one on EBay if you are lucky or pay the retail price. These are sometimes stocked at a good chandlers
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 21:08   #18

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I never heard of Bowden cables. Google Morse cables instead.
A Bowden cable is the type, named after the inventor. “ Morse” is a brand, like Teleflex. Those guys make Bowden cables.
Old 25-08-2023, 23:39   #19

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

It happens to everyone eventually. Mine broke when doing a 180 turn in a crowded marina. It broke while in forward gear and it took me about three seconds to figure out what happened. Unfortunately, by then I had run into another boat! So you were lucky!

When you find the cable, buy two!
Old 26-08-2023, 20:20   #20

Man, I have had this type of issue a number of times. And of course it always happens at the wrong time!!! It’s a pretty common problem for a number of reasons with a number of different boats and engines. I was bringing in a 89’ steel commercial vessel once and had engine stay in forward when I gave it a small bust to stop fwd way. Wow, did I and my crew have to scramble. Just fairly minor damage. Steel helps.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 03:31   #21

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

May I suggest using spring release ball joints

https://second-wind.net/products/tel...0-series-cable
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 05:38   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

When mine failed, throttle, it was at the lever end. Both ends were identical so I end for ended it and modified the end to operate the engine. I found an exact replacement on eBay for 1/10 the cost of new. The ‘fixed’ cable is my spare
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 16:55   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 30 MkII

Just thought I'd share a similar cable failure many years ago. I was bringing a Morgan 41 back to the dock after a 7 day charter in the VI. As we approached at idle, I shifted to neutral, the boat didn't slow as expected. I tried reverse, then throttle... it accelerated forward. Luckily I had room for a go around and assessed the problem; broken shift cable. I'd have to shut the engine down on the next approach. Here's the lesson learned, the neutral safety switch will prevent you from restarting the engine. Act accordingly!
Khaos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 22:45   #24

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Go here >>>>>> https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3826331
Old 25-09-2023, 05:37   #25

Boat: S2 11.0 Aft Cockpit

On an alternate note, I lubricated my throttle and transmission cables this season, but I found that they were hard to move because of the nylon bushings on the control levers were seizing, and lube on the bushings didn't do any good, so a minor project for next season is to replace them.

Tags
transmission