Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2023, 08:45   #46

Re: Torqeedo v. ePropulsion v. Elco Outboards

To power my Ericson 25, replacing a 9.5 hp gas outboard, I am going to install an EZ-X10 (6.5 KW) from Golden Motor:

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/ezo...10-horsepower/

along with their remote throttle.

Will power it with a 48V LifePO4 battery bank of 100 to 150 Ah - have not settled on a company yet for this.

Will let this group know how it works out. Their design and engineering look excellent from what I can glean from thier website.
jay2rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 11:25   #47

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Torqeedo v. ePropulsion v. Elco Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Stevenson View Post
Hi All I’m new too. I’m powering my catamaran build with ePropulsion pods so have looked into this extensively.

EPropulsion will run with common batteries the regen isn’t on offer unless you use their batteries.

Regen is attractive if you can get good boat speed (8+ knots) but solar is a more consistent supply so put your money into solar if you have the space rather then getting too tied up with regen is my advice. Great if you have both but your still going to be using power while your at anchor.

Cheers

I believe I pointed it out somewhere above, eProp and Torq use podded motors.
I believe the seals are mandatory replacement items YEARLY. You should check the owners manual or the manufacturer.
If the seals fail in use between replacements the motor will short and may be toast.

Elco has the motor out of the water at the top of the outboard.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 12:17   #48

Thanks Adeline

My pods are getting setup on legs and will be raised when not in use - well clear of the water. Advantages less drag and not subject to constant immersion which as you point out is likely a weak point.

Cheers
D Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 12:51   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Adelie - "... eProp and Torq use podded motors. I believe the seals are mandatory replacement items YEARLY. You should check the owners manual or the manufacturer." I did check the owners manual of my epropulsion spirit, and there is nothing about maintaining any seal, particularly on an annual basis.
https://www.epropulsion.com/wp-conte...it-1.0-Evo.pdf

Don't know how it is sealed, but until it fails, I'm not questioning the magic.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 13:13   #50

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Adelie - "... eProp and Torq use podded motors. I believe the seals are mandatory replacement items YEARLY. You should check the owners manual or the manufacturer." I did check the owners manual of my epropulsion spirit, and there is nothing about maintaining any seal, particularly on an annual basis.
https://www.epropulsion.com/wp-conte...it-1.0-Evo.pdf

Don't know how it is sealed, but until it fails, I'm not questioning the magic.

Pg. 54 of manual: Dealer required maintenance every 12mo or 200hr of operation, whichever comes first.
Old 19-01-2023, 13:24   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Sorry, I guess that I voided my limited warrantee. This is the maintenance, and I feel pretty comfortable carrying it out. Nothing said about any seals, which is your point, no?
10.4 Maintenance Time Table
Regularly maintained in proper manner and used in normal condition, the outboard
can work at its optimal state. The following table shows a general maintenance frequency, which however may vary according to operating conditions.
200 hours (12 months)
Anode - Check/Replace
Greasing - points Greasing
Propeller and pin - Check/Replace

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 13:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2rocket View Post
To power my Ericson 25, replacing a 9.5 hp gas outboard, I am going to install an EZ-X10 (6.5 KW) from Golden Motor:

https://goldenmotor.bike/product/ezo...10-horsepower/

along with their remote throttle.

Will power it with a 48V LifePO4 battery bank of 100 to 150 Ah - have not settled on a company yet for this.

Will let this group know how it works out. Their design and engineering look excellent from what I can glean from thier website.
150 amp hrs It's all that is required to power that motor?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 18:17   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Sorry, I guess that I voided my limited warrantee. This is the maintenance, and I feel pretty comfortable carrying it out. Nothing said about any seals, which is your point, no?
10.4 Maintenance Time Table
Regularly maintained in proper manner and used in normal condition, the outboard
can work at its optimal state. The following table shows a general maintenance frequency, which however may vary according to operating conditions.
200 hours (12 months)
Anode - Check/Replace
Greasing - points Greasing
Propeller and pin - Check/Replace

My guess would be that prop & pin dealer maintenance would involve the seals.
Old 19-01-2023, 18:21   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
150 amp hrs It's all that is required to power that motor?

It could run at full power on a 5Ahr battery but run time would be about 2min or so.

150Ahr may or may not meet you expectations depending on how fast and how far you want it to propel you.
Old 19-01-2023, 19:04   #55

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I believe I pointed it out somewhere above, eProp and Torq use podded motors.
I believe the seals are mandatory replacement items YEARLY. You should check the owners manual or the manufacturer.
If the seals fail in use between replacements the motor will short and may be toast.

Elco has the motor out of the water at the top of the outboard.

Torqeedo does not have an annual seal replacement. There is a five year maintenance interval that requires dealer service. They do not support owners who want to service their own engines. Service manuals are not available. I'm not a fan of this approach and went through this last year. While I forget the exact cost, it was reasonable and somewhat comparable to five years worth of gas outboard supplies.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 06:36   #56

Boat: Swan, MKii, 44'

I need to buy a new dinghy for 4 people, and was leaning towards a Zodiac 270. For outboard, I looked at the Torquedo Travel 1103C in a shop, and the EPROPULSION Spirit 1.0 and the NT300 on internet. All seem to have a 3.0 HP, which will be adequate for the dinghy I want to buy. The Epropulsion has bulkier batteries (at least from the pics and video I could find), and the NT300 has very little information I could find on the website. Prices go down significantly from the Torqueedo. I also looked at the Mercury 3.5HP 4 stroke gasoline, which would probably be a decent choice for a gasoline outboard.
I read the thread already, which is somewhat old now, and was wondering whether someone would like to give me advice on what outboard to select. I am more of a day/weekendsailor than an ocean navigator, and would use the dinghy mostly going from the anchored boat to shore and back, with relatively little exploration.
Thanks a lot. Beppe
Beppe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 08:48   #57

Boat: Camano Troll

Any electric outboard that doesn't have the actual motor in the water with direct drive to the propeller is missing a great opportunity to simplify the design and improve efficiency and reliability. There is no good reason to introduce unnecessary gears and bearings.
Old 21-01-2023, 09:03   #58

Looking at the NT300, but so little information...no anodes, and nothing about saltwater usage. Might use low quality cast aluminum and poof, there it goes.

A few more coming into the market in the next 6-12 months...so planning on waiting.

As an EV owner for many years, I would never consider anything but a direct drive.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 10:46   #59

Boat: Swan, MKii, 44'

thank you rwidman and two-rocks. It looks like the NT300 is not the way to go.
Beppe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 14:57   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Any electric outboard that doesn't have the actual motor in the water with direct drive to the propeller is missing a great opportunity to simplify the design and improve efficiency and reliability. There is no good reason to introduce unnecessary gears and bearings.

Except when the seals fail & the motor shorts out.

Tags
outboard, propulsion