Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2022, 19:26   #1

Boat: B423
Suzuki 9.9 HP Outboard Motor Model DF9.9BS4

This Suzuki engine seems to be a great value for an EFI outboard. Does anyone have any experience with it? Another option I am considering is a Tohatsu 9.8 (MFS9.8BS) or 8hp version, which use a carburetor.

The Suzuki has EFI, which I was thinking would be more reliable. This will be used on a 2022 Takacat 300LX.

Any advice would be appreciated.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 19:28   #2

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Suzuki 9.9 HP Outboard Motor Model DF9.9BS4

Definitely get an EFI. I have a Tohatsu 15 EFI and super reliable.
Suzuki has a great reputation from what I have heard
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 21:56   #3

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

I have a Suzi 15hp EFI, same motor as the 9.9 and the 20hp. Fantastic motor, just make sure you put a reasonable size filter/water trap. and don't let water get into the EFI. I speak from experience, it is not easy to get all the water out, the fuel system is fairly complicated, including a water cooled return fuel cooler.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 05:45   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'd also look at the Tohatsu 9.9. It's heavier than the 9.8, but has EFI. And it's still lighter than the Suzuki 9.9 EFI.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 06:26   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Do not buy the Suzuki if you plan to use it in salt water. There are several threads in this forum discussing the problem this block has when used in salt water, especially if you can't do a fresh water flush every time you use it such as on a cruising boat. After a couple of years the block develops corrosion that completely blocks the cooling passages. Even the owners manual says that if you must use the engine in salt water you must flush it with fresh water every time. The way it's worded makes it sound like you should avoid using it in salt water. Once the corrosion has started even if it is cleaned out completely it comes back in very short order. I've had it return in as little as 6 weeks. I'm speculating here, but I think the engine must have some anti corrosion coating on the cooling passages that eventually wears off and once that happens you might as well throw away the motor unless you like the idea of pulling the engine completely apart on a regular basis. Also flushing with the hose attachment is not sufficient, you must get the engine up to operating temperature and get the thermostat open to get an actual flush that does any good. I replaced mine with a Tohatsu last year. I just completed a 7 month cruise with the Tohatsu and am very happy with it. I haven't had it long enough to testify as to its longevity but I don't think it can be worse that the Suzuki.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 13:06   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46

apropos of this conversation I have a used -less -than -2 hours 9.8 Tohatsu for sale. In essence brand new. PM me please
NightSky46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, motor, outboard