Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 13:55   #1

Ruggerini low oil pressure

We have a 1986 2 cylinder Ruggerini diesel coupled to a Dyna 8 kw generator. Oil pressure safety shut off not wired properly so we fixed. No oil pressure registering on gauge. Replaced gauge with direct feed type still no pressure. Disconnected line that feeds oil pressure switch at block - no squirting! Have removed oil filter and turned over the engine - oil pumps out but not a great volume. Removed and inspected oil by-pass hose and fittings and they are clear. Removed oil filter housing and it is clear. Currently using straight 40 oil as previous owner did. After running engine run finger around under oil filler cap and there is oil but cannot see it running around due to a baffle. Not sure how many hours on unit but previous owner said it was low!? Not sure how long this problem has been there but top end must be getting some oil as it hasn't seized. Any suggestions, source for service manual and parts? Any help would be appreciated.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 14:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Try going to: Ruggerini Diesel: Ruggerini Motori
and select 2-Cylinder, then Owner’s Manual.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 07:16   #3

Ruggerini

Thanks for the suggestion Gord. Unfortunately only the new models are listed and no apparent access to the older units could be found. I will try e-mailing the company again.
Old 16-03-2008, 11:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I don't know how the oil pump is driven on one of these. But I suspect the pump or the drive to it. It could be possible the pump has failed, but that is not easy to have happen. I would suspect the drive. This can be a gear driven off the cam or similar and the pin coupling to the shaft of the pump could have shorn and the shaft is turning only slightly. Just enough for oil to pump as you see it, but not enough to lube the engine.
If it were main bearings worn enough to drop oil pressure, you would still see a flow of oil when you do what you are doing to see if you have a flow of oil.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2008, 14:40   #5

My only though is the over pressure relief is stuck open in the oil pump. Where is the unit? can it be pulled and shipped?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 07:14   #6

Ruggerini

Thanks for the info. We are in the process of pulling the genset to remove the generator portion and get at the oil pump. I have been able to source an oil pump and it is on it's way from Italy. We want to remove the oil pan and check for "goo" to ensure the pick up is not plugged too. The pump is apparently driven from the cam but I'm not sure how. The service manual has also been ordered and hopefully it will help. Anything else that we should check while it is out?? Engine runs great, starts instantly, does not burn any oil between changes etc.
Old 18-03-2008, 13:27   #7

If it's been run with this low oil situation more than a few min. I'd put rod bearings in it.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil