Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 10:28   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Reuse paper impeller gasket?

I replace impeller and gasket annually just for drill. Why would you not replace gasket? I could only see doing that if new gasket was not readily available. Being too cheap can cost you money. Also have Superseal which I love.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:54   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Why would one wish to inspect an impeller? Impeller pumps either work or they don't. Either condition is obvious. Failure demands replacement of the impeller. Replacement impellers are cheap and come with the appropriate gasket. But as Boatpoker sez - "gasket in a tube" is more reliable than a "dry fitted" paper gasket. ""Formagasket" is one brand available at any auto parts store.

TP
Impleller pumps are not binary in function (work or not), there are indeed variations in between. For example, if just a vane or two are damaged then flow will be reduced.

For this reason I usually keep slightly damaged impellers...a partially functioning pump is better than none in the event you dont have a remaining new spare.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
It depends on the condition, of course, but I’ve reused gaskets after inspection. That said, you can buy the gasket alone for just a few dollars at the online marine diesel parts retailers (not sure we’re allowed to mention the, by name on the forum). Make sure to scrape remnants of the old gasket off with a razor blade to ensure clean surfaces.

One caution... when I recently replaced the gasket, it didn’t provide an airtight seal immediately. After “soaking in” for a few days, it was fine.
Pre-wet the paper gasket. I use the same glycerin as is commonly used to lube the impeller. Also helps to hold it in place during re-assembley.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:00   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
May I ask which gasket in a tube, specifically?
Loctite GSI is what I have on board but there are many competitors and I've used many of them over the years .... Whatever was available at the NAPA store.
Old 26-10-2017, 11:19   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

A follow-on to the question of why replace a not-damaged impeller is that there is only so much flex inherent in any blade.

At a point, it will fail.

My takeouts mentioned above, despite sitting (out of the pump, in my sealed spares box gasketed container) for, in some cases, more than a year, while having no damage apparent on close inspection, both have a permanent bend in the blades. That is, when viewed from above, it's very obvious what direction they turned in when installed, due to the curvature of the blades.

So, even if it looks good, those impeller blades, even if they don't fail, will lose some strength relative to the wipe pressure. Is that a problem? I dunno, but don't want to find out other than in extremis (nothing else left to use).
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 13:02   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Buy sheets of "inlet manifold" gasket paper from any automotive parts place and cut your own impeller gaskets from that rather than spend extra on pre-made, OEM ones.
At a push and in an emergency you can even use breakfast cereal packets (even for car inlet manifolds!!) as all it is doing is providing a seal between the two metal surfaces. In an ideal world the metal faces would be micron smooth and create a metal to metal seal but safer to use the gasket.
It is true that it is easy to make your own gaskets when needed. However, in the case of impeller pump cover gaskets, only use very thin material, similar to that of the OEM gasket. Thicker material (like cereal packaging) will create a too large gap between impeller and cover and the pump will not prime well, and may fail completely, even with a new impeller.

Jim
Old 26-10-2017, 13:42   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, okay to re-use gaskets. Okay to make a new one from a magazine page, too. Tap lightly with a hammer so the metal marks the paper, then cut. Hole punch for holes, or icepick.

Reason to inspect impellers: if you know you usually get 500 hrs. on one, you might want to check it for cracks or missing blades around 400 hrs. But I do get what you mean, TP, as long as you're groveling, might as well just do it.

Ann
Old 26-10-2017, 13:57   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My favorite thing to make paper baskets out of was a Manila file envelope.
Often the trick is to glue a piece of the paper to one side of whatever the gasket was being made for and then use a small ball peen hammer to “cut”a gasket.
With just a little practice, you can cut perfect gaskets with a small ball peen, in fact I think that is the purpose of the small ball peens.
The ball end will cut perfect holes and the flat part of the hammer will cut along the edges.
https://youtu.be/9Lsn6B6RsNQ

You can quickly see how if you glue the paper on first how fast cutting a gasket with a hammer can be, and how perfect it will be too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:22   #24

Boat: Albin 25

A little grease also holds the gasket in place on those hold-to-reach locations.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:23   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

If you want to have a quick supply of paper gaskets that you make yourself. Put a new one on your copier or scanner and duplicate it on paper of choice. I did a few copies and arranged them so each letter sized paper gives me about 6 gaskets. I leave the on the sheet till needed then cut out wit sharp scissors. I also use a leather punch like you might use to put a extra hole in a belt to punch the screw holes. Moch cleaner and less chance of tearing the paper.
I went to the Office supply store and bought some onion skin paper that has a bit of a plastic feel and it has worked for me many years. These can often be reused because they are not subject to water saturation and getting mushy like paper. I like a little Firmagasket sealer on both sides. - just put it on the plate and pump faces.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:38   #26

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Available from UK is an aftermarket modification kit for these pumps. New face plate and "O" ring gasket and other great improvements including much better fastenings than those tiny ones that normally drop into the bilge when the face plate is obscured by something else.

PM for details
PS I have no commercial interest, just like good things!
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 14:55   #27

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If your paper is not torn, you could clean it with white spirit (or meths) of any grease--and spray both sides with Hylomar. Let it dry a little and put pump together. Half-tighten the nuts or bolts. After about an hour fully tighten them to the recommended torque.

A mechanic put me on to Hylomar years ago. Never be without it. It works on head gaskets too. You can replace the gaskets with new ones later when you get to a spares shop, but I have never had to replace a gasket I have re-used as long as it was not damaged.

Hylomar and 2 spare impellers are always in my spares kit. Impellers are not expensive (and usually come with spare gaskets anyway.) I use Hylomar on the new gaskets too.

I buy Hylomar in a spray can, but it is available as a liquid.. Magic stuff. Comparatively inexpensive.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 15:07   #28

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you use grease--water pump or tap grease is better than the usual general purpose grease. It is usually white in colour. However, I stopped using it when I was put on to Hylomar. I would use the grease if I had nothing else though--but this question was about re-using an old gasket.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 18:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
If you want to have a quick supply of paper gaskets that you make yourself. Put a new one on your copier or scanner and duplicate it on paper of choice. I did a few copies and arranged them so each letter sized paper gives me about 6 gaskets. I leave the on the sheet till needed then cut out wit sharp scissors. I also use a leather punch like you might use to put a extra hole in a belt to punch the screw holes. Moch cleaner and less chance of tearing the paper.
I went to the Office supply store and bought some onion skin paper that has a bit of a plastic feel and it has worked for me many years. These can often be reused because they are not subject to water saturation and getting mushy like paper. I like a little Firmagasket sealer on both sides. - just put it on the plate and pump faces.
Thats a good idea. 👍
Old 26-10-2017, 18:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
Available from UK is an aftermarket modification kit for these pumps. New face plate and "O" ring gasket and other great improvements including much better fastenings than those tiny ones that normally drop into the bilge when the face plate is obscured by something else.

PM for details
PS I have no commercial interest, just like good things!
...and those damn little brass screws are fragile...easy to twist the head off.

Name of product?

Tags
gasket