Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 22:01   #16

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Isolated or remote areas favors old tech. Old tech are old rebuildable engines that do not require electronics or electrical devices to run. Old tech engines can withstand overheating better that new tech.

One learns a lot about diesel engines removing all the bits and pieces from the block and then reinstalling them.
That knowledge may be of use one day.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 23:02   #17

It would be useful to know :-

a) which makes and models of diesel engines require electronics so that they can run?

b) Which new makes and models can be taken out by a near lightning strike?

c) Which makes and models of diesel engines are being referred to in this quote:- "almost all modern electronically controlled diesels have a reduced running spped where the ECU fails. Anyway its an electronic future as, in practice diesels need electronc controls to meet current and forthcoming emmisions controls"
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 06:19   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
Hell I didn't even know that there are diesels that require electronics! Beside having diesel on board instead of gas, the big plus of diesels are that they don't need electronics etc to run.

But I think this is different topic.

Seems funny that compared to all the things people are willing to do to thier boats themselves that they aren't willing to rebuild thier diesels.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:47   #19

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Seems funny that compared to all the things people are willing to do to thier boats themselves that they aren't willing to rebuild thier diesels.
I agree. I would do anything else on the boat if needed but rebuilding the diesel is something I would never consider. Maybe the industry has convinced us that working on diesels requires special skills that most of us don't have. Or it really requires specials skills that most of us don't have.

...or that you need lots of special tools.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:00   #20

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
to goboatingnow: in practice, rebuilt older Diesels don't have to meet current and future emissions standards, so that's a point in favor of rebuilding.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 16:06   #21

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
I agree. I would do anything else on the boat if needed but rebuilding the diesel is something I would never consider. Maybe the industry has convinced us that working on diesels requires special skills that most of us don't have. Or it really requires specials skills that most of us don't have.

...or that you need lots of special tools.

Jim
The actual rebuild of the engine requires machine tools, special skills and is done in a machine shop

If you can hang onto a wrench and don't mind living in a tight space for a while the only "special" skills required are cleanliness, an attention to detail and the patience to free up frozen bolts.
You simply unbolt parts from the block and keep track of them. The fuel lines and injection pump requires extra care to prevent any dirt from contaminating the fuel passage ways. Some help may be required for the timing of the injection pump. You may need some help with gaskets and such but it is all straight forward.
Lifting out the block is the hardest part.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, repower