Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2009, 06:33   #1

Boat: 1978 CSY 44 WO
Repower

I have a 1969 Rawson 30 sailboat that had a 1985 model Ducati 22 hp diesel when I bought it.

The engine threw a rod last weekend. Parts were impossible to find for the Ducati, so I have decided to repower.

I'd like to find a later model (than 1985) Yanmar 20 hp.

I have searched the usual spots--eBay, Craigslist, etc. but am having no luck in finding a good used motor.

I would appreciate any suggestions on other places I might look or if you know of one for sale.

I would be open to other manufacturers but would prefer Yanmar.

Thanks for your help!
Dougpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 16:06   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
New?

Given the costs of a repower and the benefits of a new engine have you considered new?

I found good condition secondhand engines to be scarce indeed. There was always the nagging worry that the "new" secondhand engine might not be much better than the old engine.

Diesel Engine Trader has a few Yanmars listed. Do check, as with any purchase, exactly what comes with the package (esp. transmission, instruments) that you are looking at.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 16:10   #3

Ducati???

hmmm... maybe you need a Harley flathead! There's a Yanmar 3gm30 on this board. 27 hp I believe? small engines really. a lot lighter then the Volvo MD2B I had in my Rawson I bet.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2009, 16:20   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Ask our member Chief Engineer. I thought he just had one, but I may be mistaken
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 10:23   #5

Boat: 1978 CSY 44 WO
Good input.

My hesitancy with buying a new one is just how much money to put in this old boat.

It's our first. Bought it for $4,500 on Craigslist and I hate to think how much money we've put in it since. Way more than we are ever likely to see back.

We have been happy with it. Spending most weekends at anchor and an occasional longer trip. The boat fits what we are using it for now perfectly.

Our plan is to cruise in 1-3 years. No circumnavigations. Just down the east coast and go to the keys or Bahamas. We want to "try it on" for a year and see how we like it.

Then, too, we should know better what we might want for the longer term.

Does it make sense to put a new engine in a 1969 model boat that we may be trying to resell in 1-3 years?

The used boat market scares me period. Even though by then, this boat should be in tip top shape...so what? Maybe someone will pay $20k for it...if we can even sell it.

If, though, we end up cruising happily in it. And we stick with it for several years. I would not regret the extra money.

Confusing to me.

How would I contact Chief Engineer?
Dougpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 10:31   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Saw new westerbeke 13.7 hp on ebay for $1200. Would have to marinise and add tranny but was surprised at price.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 11:15   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougpad View Post
Good input.

My hesitancy with buying a new one is just how much money to put in this old boat.

It's our first. Bought it for $4,500 on Craigslist and I hate to think how much money we've put in it since. Way more than we are ever likely to see back.

We have been happy with it. Spending most weekends at anchor and an occasional longer trip. The boat fits what we are using it for now perfectly.

Our plan is to cruise in 1-3 years. No circumnavigations. Just down the east coast and go to the keys or Bahamas. We want to "try it on" for a year and see how we like it.

Then, too, we should know better what we might want for the longer term.

Does it make sense to put a new engine in a 1969 model boat that we may be trying to resell in 1-3 years?

The used boat market scares me period. Even though by then, this boat should be in tip top shape...so what? Maybe someone will pay $20k for it...if we can even sell it.

If, though, we end up cruising happily in it. And we stick with it for several years. I would not regret the extra money.

Confusing to me.

How would I contact Chief Engineer?

Just click on the MEMBERS bar at the top of this page and look under "C" on page 37
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 11:40   #8

Your plan is an excellent one. Try it a while before you jump in the deep end. The Rawson can take you anywhere and certainly will do the trip you are considering. You need a good engine... in the scheme of things it's about how good the rest of the boat is also. But if you spend even $10k on an engine and have the time of your life it's worth it. Hopefully you can find a good used enigne. It cost me $2800 to have a Yanmar 3GM30 overhauled inthe carribean. (new pistons, rod bearings and rods, nothing else.) Once I spent over $300k on a boat, put $50k in it, sailed it to the Bahamas and further one season and sold it for the same I paid losing $50k.... Now that was an expensive lesson.!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower