Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:41   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: replacing the engine and need prop hints

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I tried that but the bolts are to rusty and stripped the heads. I did take the heads off the engine and removed the extra weight earlier.
I saw a MD3 engine for sale and wondered if that would fit in the space for the MD2B instead. About ten horses more and that would really push her along.
md 3b may be the way to go,as a lot of the parts off the md2 are the same,would reccomend a new shaft if corroded anyway,plus may want to change pitch on the prop for the bigger engine.

though becareful about exchanging one engine for another non runner!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 13:38   #17

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hard to tell from the picture but that shaft and stuffing box looks like it needs some attention or even replacing. You might have to bite the bullet and haul the boat replacing it all. If the shaft is badly corroded, you could haul, saw the shaft and yank the unit whole. I know...I know...I'm the bad guy!
No not a bad guy at all. I am looking to for a storage space for it now but money is tight these days. Still I wonder what the line at the top of the stuffing box is for if it is lubed from behind it.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:21   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
No not a bad guy at all. I am looking to for a storage space for it now but money is tight these days. Still I wonder what the line at the top of the stuffing box is for if it is lubed from behind it.
I think the tube is to allow water pass into the stuffing box packing, so it stays cool. The tube you're talking about should terninate above the waterline. The other way that same process is done is to cut slots into the the side of prop tube area between the cutless and the stuffing box.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 17:42   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
the tube to the stuffing box is for water cooling/lubrication,normally tee'd
into the raw water just below the anti siphon so water is pumped through it
and the exhaust,and so as not to flood the engine once stopped.

some stuffing boxes have the same set up but with grease boxes,to force grease into the sterntube and bearings.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 07:22   #20

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I am seriously looking at a electric motor set up for propulsion. I found a D/C motor not cheap but reasonable and a I can get a controller at a reasonable cost also. But I was wondering if I should change the polarity to change prop direction for reverse or should I add a trans on the back end of the motor? I have to do more research on that aspect of it. I think a trans on the D/C motor is the best way to go there.

Tags
engine