Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 13:03   #1

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Prop shaft alignment: on the hard or in water?

I read somewhere that it's better done in water.
A boat mechanic told me today that it doesn't matter for a sailboat.... It makes a difference with a power boat.
Any truth here?
He said that when I mentioned that I needed a prop shaft alignment (per my surveyor) and he saw my boat on the hard. Maybe he was expecting a job right away?
He quoted me $800 (6 hours) for alignment, new cutlass bearing and repacking the stuffing box (parts included).
Reasonable?
Thanks
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:20   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Prop shaft alignment: on the hard or in water?

I think it is better done in the water. Anyway, it is your boat, your money, your decision. Take your decision accordingly.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:40   #3

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

As I a marine engineer I can advise you it is best done in the water, power or sail it does'nt matter, done on the hard can be performed but must be re-checked once splashed, run up and recheck.

Regards Rod
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:53   #4

Boat: Freedom 38

Definitely better in water where boat/engine operate. Should actually be floating for 24 hours or longer before aligning, so Boat can take it’s floating shape based on keel hanging rather than boat sitting on it and impact of rigging load. Number of hours seems a bit high - but not outrageous. I sometimes negotiate a time & materials not-to-exceed agreement for a well defined job. Some less well defined jobs are at higher risk for unforeseen conditions and harder to set cap. Reason for NTE agreement is boatyards sometimes worry about unforeseen conditions and cushion their quotes.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 14:05   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
I read somewhere that it's better done in water.
He quoted me $800 (6 hours) for alignment, new cutlass bearing and repacking the stuffing box (parts included).
Reasonable?
Thanks
All you have to do is re-read your own post for the answer to that question!!! Mr. Mechanic definitely would be happy to help you out.

In reading through my factory doc for the Universal M25XP on a 1989 Catalina 30 MKII, just last night in fact, it advises to perform the alignment in the water. Surely a boat will bend very slightly being supported by stands, and it doesn't take much.
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 15:29   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Always in the water. All boats change shape when on the hard.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 17:24   #7

Boat: Columbia 36

In the case of a new engine installation you can get it close enough on the hard to safely make it out of the launch well, then fine tune it a day or two later. If you're just checking or trouble shooting noise or vibration, you have to do that in the water. It does make a difference, and on more lightly built boats maybe a lot of difference.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 17:36   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yes, complete agreement on the above posts.

Final alignment must always be in the water but on a new (or reworked installation), first on the hard is OK and then in the water.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 17:58   #9

Boat: Valiant 40
Prop shaft alignment: on the hard or in water?

As for the time estimate given it seems lengthy but not absurdly so. Some cutless bearings can be a real @&$! to get out. And if the alignment is seriously off it can take time to correct.

I would not take the surveyors word as gospel. There may be other issues in play. For example a bent shaft can look like an engine alighnment issue to someone performing a cursory check.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:32   #10

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
As for the time estimate given it seems lengthy but not absurdly so. Some cutless bearings can be a real @&$! to get out. And if the alignment is seriously off it can take time to correct.

I would not take the surveyors word as gospel. There may be other issues in play. For example a bent shaft can look like an engine alighnment issue to someone performing a cursory check.
Thanks,
But wouldn't a bent shaft creates noise and vibrations? None of that here!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:27   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Best done in the water.

On the hard, the keel is pushing UP into the boat. In the water the entire weight of the keel is hanging DOWN.

The hull is long and thin (thickness relative to the boats length). So the hull is going to bend...this is normal. Tension from the forestay and backstay pull the ends of the hull UP, and the keel pulls the middle DOWN.

So to get a good alignment, the boat should be in the water with the mast up and the rig tuned.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:28   #12

Boat: Gauntlet 12 ton

MUST be done in the water. It depends to a degree on the hull material but it should always be re-checked once in the water. We had a wooden carvel built yacht and thought that the engineer/cowboy had done the job properly (in Krabi, Thailand), but he did not do this and we had endless vibration issues until we finally figured out the problem.
You also need to be there to make sure things are done properly. This knowledge from hard-won experience.
jasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:29   #13

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

I think it's best done in the water. Splash the boat, let her hips settle out for a week and then get after it. I've done mine twice. Once after a new Cutlass bearing, and then after replacing my PNY dripless seal. Took about an hour each time. Edit to answer the price question. $800 seems reasonable for everything that he's doing. Sometimes those Cutlass pairings can really be a bearcat!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36   #14

It MAY not matter. You wont know how well it stays as set unless it's checked in the water. That's not a bad price for what he quoted.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:13   #15

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

After installing a replacement Yanmar 3GM30F, and not knowing squat about shaft alignment, I turned alignment over to Oasis Marine, St Augustine (highly recommend).
They tried to align in the water, then hauled out, removed the rudder to gain access to the shaft.
The result was an expensive ($2500) and expertly aligned shaft, sealed by an expensive PPS shaft seal retailing about $360, with usable life of up to 40,000 hours (https://www.shaftseal.com). The seal is dripless and, so far, maintenance free.
I was working out of town at the time of their repair, but the faint clunking sound after my engine change was going to be a problem.
My attempt left a tail shaft/ prop shaft misalignment of about a thin slot screwdriver. Oasis measured their alignment as 0.003" shaft to shaft.
PPS allows for even this small discrepancy.
It's been five years with only dust under the seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PPS shaft seal.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	180514  
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, on the hard, water