Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 17:53   #16

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch
Re: Perkins 4-108 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Trade ya, I'm in Ontario Canada where the boating season is very short

Well, I bought it in Florida, but sailed it home to NY. Getting chilly here too, though I may sail tomorrow. I doubt that I have ever started the motor when the temps were well below freezing, because I've winterized by then. This boat has been frozen into ice thick enough to drive on.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 20:35   #17

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Perkins 4-108 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Thanks for this information! Very helpful. I have the plug and adapter from the previous owner who started the install but never completed it.

Do you happen to know the fuel line output size? or what part that is needed for a fuel line connection?

What size wire do you think is required?

It would also need a fuse/breaker?

I don't know the fuel line information, but it's the same type of copper or steel fuel line that's used all over the engine. There's a largish size banjo connector on the filter cap (inboard outlet, facing forward, toward the air filter). If you're in the states, I'd call Trans Atlantic Diesels, tell them what you have and they would be able to set you up with the remaining parts.

I use a simple 12g wire from a fairly heavy duty momentary push button that I installed in the cockpit. I do have it fused but the fuse covers the whole ignition circuit, which is wired from my battery switch to a lever switch in the cockpit. That fuse is a regular AGC (cylinder type) 30A in-line fuse and it's hasn't blown from use with the pre-heater.

So my circuit is basically [battery switch (starting batt)] > [Fuse] > [ignition switch] > [Starting aid push button] > [starting aid]

Remember you'll need to have a wire from the starting aid to the block for grounding. The adapter is nylon so it won't ground the device. There is generally a fairly large ring terminal that goes on over the threads of the starting aid and rests on the hex section. That might end up being the hardest thing to find.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flame start, hard start diesel, heater, perkins, Perkins 4-108, preheater, thermostart