Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2020, 13:35   #1

Boat: Wauquiez, Hood 38, 38'
Perkins 4.108 Fuel Pump Leak

I seem to be having a leak at the junction of one of the high pressure fittings at the fuel pump. The leak does not appear to be coming from the line fitting itself, but seems to be coming from the nut just below it. I assume this nut is for bleeding the line? I tried tightening the nut but it seems very tight already, so my inclination is to just loosen the nut and then re-tighten it. Before I did that, I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to resolve it, & does my solution seem like a good idea?
Capn Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 14:21   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Perkins 4.108 Fuel Pump Leak

The "nut" you are talking about is there for you to put a wrench on while you tighten the injector line nut, so you don't break things.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 19:00   #3

The nut is below, behind and 90 degrees to the fitting.
Old 25-06-2020, 20:42   #4

Ah, it's not a nut, it's a bleed screw. You should paint all the bleed points with a bright color. White is best at night.
Old 25-06-2020, 22:18   #5

Does any of this look familiar? The low pressure bleed screws are circled in red and the high pressure union is in yellow. Its unusual for a high pressure union to simply leak because that would have an effect on engine performance. If your injector pump is the mechanical governor as in the pic take a look at the throttle and stop levers, if they leak, the fuel can make its way down under and make it appear that the HP unions have a leak. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4006.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	218092
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:17   #6

Thank you everyone for your help. Here are some more details.
1) The pump is a hydraulic style pump.
2) the leak appears to be manifesting at the bleed screw on on of the HP ports.
3) It does not seem to be coming out of the area around the fitting to the line, but from the bleed screw
4) It only drips when the engine is running
5) I did clean the area all around the fitting just to make sure the leak wasn't coming from another part of the pump, then I ran the engine again and no other area around the bleed screw was wet.
6) the engine itself is running fine. No missing, hiccups or any other anomaly.
7) The HP port that is leaking is on the side of the pump away from the engine. I have attached a pic of a similar pump with an arrow showing the port that is leaking

Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FP.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	218107  
Old 26-06-2020, 16:00   #7

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Copper washer needed?
(& then check again?)
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 18:10   #8

Here’s a photo of a retired CAV pump high pressure outlet banjo and the 2 sealing washers. The washers are steel and also a specific CAV part, not just a copper washer off the shelf. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	218126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4008.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	218127
Old 26-06-2020, 18:27   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Skipperpete, do you think it makes any difference using the specified CAV steel washers instead of "off the shelf" copper washers?

Just curious..
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 20:36   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

When the HP pump internal seals fail (fairly common), you get a leak from around the throttle shaft.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 20:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Skipperpete, do you think it makes any difference using the specified CAV steel washers instead of "off the shelf" copper washers?

Just curious..

The space available for the washer is limited and a copper washer with such a narrow sealing surface would be a bad choice. I have never seen a CAV DPA pump with anything other than steel washers. Copper might be ok in an emergency but a failure of that joint could spray a lot of fuel around the engine room.
Do the HP banjo unions on your QM yanmars use copper or steel to seal the joint?
Pete.
Old 30-06-2020, 17:47   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
The space available for the washer is limited and a copper washer with such a narrow sealing surface would be a bad choice. I have never seen a CAV DPA pump with anything other than steel washers. Copper might be ok in an emergency but a failure of that joint could spray a lot of fuel around the engine room.
Do the HP banjo unions on your QM yanmars use copper or steel to seal the joint?
Pete.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Pete. The ones of my QM HP unions are copper and I expect they are original. I don't recall seeing steel ones on other QM engines but that doesn't mean much as I never took much notice - just assumed they were copper.

I will have a look at the CAV IP on the tractor sometime!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 18:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete.
Copper might be ok in an emergency but a failure of that joint could spray a lot of fuel around the engine room.

That is so ridiculous. The only danger from using a copper gasket is if you squish it out the side of the joint from to much torque, or the pressure is 10x times what is really is on that engine
Old 30-06-2020, 20:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
That is so ridiculous. The only danger from using a copper gasket is if you squish it out the side of the joint from to much torque, or the pressure is 10x times what is really is on that engine

The operating pressure is between 2,000 and 2,500 psi. I take your point, rubber orings on hydraulic systems often handle much higher pressures but if CAV decided that steel washers were necessary why change to copper and risk failure[emoji780]
Old 22-06-2023, 07:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Sticky View Post
Thank you everyone for your help. Here are some more details.

1) The pump is a hydraulic style pump.

2) the leak appears to be manifesting at the bleed screw on on of the HP ports.

3) It does not seem to be coming out of the area around the fitting to the line, but from the bleed screw

4) It only drips when the engine is running

5) I did clean the area all around the fitting just to make sure the leak wasn't coming from another part of the pump, then I ran the engine again and no other area around the bleed screw was wet.

6) the engine itself is running fine. No missing, hiccups or any other anomaly.

7) The HP port that is leaking is on the side of the pump away from the engine. I have attached a pic of a similar pump with an arrow showing the port that is leaking

Any suggestions are welcome.
I'd love to hear if you found out anything else or how you fixed it? I also have a 4108 and am seeing a leak at the exact same place: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3792521
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, perkins, pump