Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2023, 15:53   #61

Boat: Bayfield 29
Re: Oily feeling gasoline that leaves a yellow residue after (eventually) evaporating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hey Chotu, call those guys up and ask them about the gas they gave you. I’ve been in fuel delivery for about six years of my life and heard some wild stories about deliveries of fuel going into the WRONG tank with the WRONG type of fuel. I’m wondering if they put a load of diesel fuel in with their gas by mistake?

But I don’t know, I’ve just heard some crazy stories about stuff like that being in bulk fuel delivery.

And you do know what I’m saying? Say their bulk gasoline fuel tank holds 10,000 gallons. And their diesel bulk fuel tank holds 10,000 gallons. Both bulk tanks are down to only 5,000 gallons and they called for 2500 gallons of diesel. The delivery guy shows up and puts the 2500 gallons of diesel in with the gasoline.

Good luck - let us know what they tell you at the gas station!

You know too, if they tell you the fuel is good I would go with what their saying. They are going to know if something got put into the wrong tank by now at the fuel station I’m thinking.

One more thing I thought of too. Pour some in a cup and see what color it is. And ask the fuel station what color dye they use for gasoline and diesel. Gasoline might be clear while diesel will be a actual color.
What you are stating happens frequently! The admiral has been in the fuel business for decades, she has horror stories about how some places handle the mistake.
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 19:20   #62

Re: Oily feeling gasoline that leaves a yellow residue after (eventually) evaporating

Looking for delivery skippers answers

Wouldn't you put a sample in a glass jar and check for issues before filling
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 08:18   #63

I recently filled up my white pickup truck with gas and noticed a yellowish stain around the fill pipe where gas had escaped. I thought of you and your question. It's gasoline.
majnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 13:05   #64

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
Looking for delivery skippers answers

Wouldn't you put a sample in a glass jar and check for issues before filling
I don't, at least in well-traveled locations along the US and Canadian coasts.

I think I might do that if I had good reason to suspect the quality of the fuel, like if I had to stop at a remote location in an emergency. But fuel stops are part of the planning process.

Of course you can get bad fuel anywhere. My home marina had a bad batch once. No different from a thousand other things which can go wrong on a delivery. You try to prepare as best you can, and deal with whatever comes up.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2023, 15:24   #65

We used Baja fuel filter. Keeps the water and dirt out. Even at busy fuel docks .

Extra caution can save a lot of problems and takes very little time

One of our fuel docks not only had storage tanks under ground but also under the water. They sprung a leak
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2023, 15:32   #66

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

https://www.5newsonline.com/amp/arti...5-9dea8b7f8122

Worth a look. Happens reasonably often
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil