Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 04:02   #31

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Nissan SD22 engine issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownflyer View Post
Hello Again,

So as it turned out, the injectors for this SD22 were in very bad condition. I found a local diesel shop here in Las Vegas - they did the testing and the rebuild of the injectors for a total of $307 USD.

I have stripped down the heat exchanger and tested. Now ready for paint.

The exhaust manifold appears to be a tri-function contraption: 1) coolant reservoir, exhaust manifold and intake manifold all wrapped into one unit. The manifold is stamped "made in Canada". It has a casting number also but I can't seem to determine who the original manufacturer might be. It looks like the air intake filter fits into a port on the underside of this manifold.

Question: I'm having some difficulty in just locating the correct oil filter for this motor. The previous owner had installed a remote oil filter which I do not want to use. Best part number I can come up with is: WIX 51512 or ACDelco PF60, or equivalent. Wondering what make/model oil filter you are using on your engine ?

Few photos attached. Thx, Jim
That was a very good price on the injector rebuild. I am jealous.

As for the oil filter, I use the Ryco Z149 or a compatible model from our local car parts place, a chain called Repco. It looks like a pretty "normal" filter to me, though a bit larger than the regular car engine filter. No anti-backflow valve from memory.
Old 17-04-2019, 09:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That was a very good price on the injector rebuild. I am jealous.

As for the oil filter, I use the Ryco Z149 or a compatible model from our local car parts place, a chain called Repco. It looks like a pretty "normal" filter to me, though a bit larger than the regular car engine filter. No anti-backflow valve from memory.
Thanks Sir. Hopefully this thing will run....
Cowtownflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 15:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownflyer View Post
Thanks Sir. Hopefully this thing will run....
OK, I am blue from holding my breath now...

Did it go?
Old 11-05-2020, 15:36   #34

Boat: 1974 North Sea Pocket Cruiser

Thank you so much! We bought a 1974 North Sea 26 foot mid cockpit pocket cruiser last July, & we have been searching for more info. Built by Beaver Glass Hulls in Surrey, BC. Previous owner oassed, so other than the hull and engine we liked, there is litte info available.

I need part numbers for the marinized addons. Impellars, etc..
hapibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 16:42   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapibeli View Post
Thank you so much! We bought a 1974 North Sea 26 foot mid cockpit pocket cruiser last July, & we have been searching for more info. Built by Beaver Glass Hulls in Surrey, BC. Previous owner oassed, so other than the hull and engine we liked, there is litte info available.

I need part numbers for the marinized addons. Impellars, etc..

Um... might have posted to the wrong thread I think.
Old 11-05-2020, 17:05   #36

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
OK, I am blue from holding my breath now...

Did it go?
I'm guessing it didn't run.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 17:41   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Man I'm dying to know! It's frustrating when you do not get the story of the finale.
I'd be surprised if it didnt run but I'm guessing too.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Man I'm dying to know! It's frustrating when you do not get the story of the finale.
I'd be surprised if it didnt run but I'm guessing too.
Ya, diesels are pretty simple to get to run. Run well and start easy it can get a little bit harder. Anyway, I hope it did run. The old simple diesels are nice.

I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Put a new D1105 Kubota in. I'm rebuilding the old Westerbeke W30 now. (BMC 1.5) It had a blown head gasket and about 5k hours. Still ran OK but real hard to start. The cylinders looked great so I will just hone bores and replace the rings. All new gaskets and injector nozzles and it should be good for another 5k hour.
Old 11-05-2020, 18:21   #39
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Ya, diesels are pretty simple to get to run. Run well and start easy it can get a little bit harder. Anyway, I hope it did run. The old simple diesels are nice.

I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Put a new D1105 Kubota in. I'm rebuilding the old Westerbeke W30 now. (BMC 1.5) It had a blown head gasket and about 5k hours. Still ran OK but real hard to start. The cylinders looked great so I will just hone bores and replace the rings. All new gaskets and injector nozzles and it should be good for another 5k hour.
I prodded the OP with a PM so I hope our curiosity gets satisfied. Envy you your new Kubota.I really like their 3 cylinder engines. What are you going to do with yr old Westerbeke? Curiosity again!
Old 11-05-2020, 18:29   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I prodded the OP with a PM so I hope our curiosity gets satisfied. Envy you your new Kubota.I really like their 3 cylinder engines. What are you going to do with yr old Westerbeke? Curiosity again!
I am also hoping your prodding will do the trick. The OP has been maintaining radio silence for the past 12 months!

It is always nice to hear if these problems get resolved or even if they don't!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 18:30   #41

Quote:
I'm keeping the gear (ZF10) as a spare and will try and sell the old engine on E-bay. They are used a lot on canal boats in the UK but it would be too expensive to ship there from the US. They were also used in a lot of sailboats in the US. If someone has one in a boat that is bad it would be an inexpensive way to repower. Even at 40 years old, parts are still available. Not Westerbeke parts but BMC 1.5 parts.
Old 11-05-2020, 20:50   #42

I have to confess, my Nissan is gone now, replaced with a Beta50 (Kubota V2203).

Today I have been working on converting all the space I saved with the new engine into storage compartments.
Old 11-05-2020, 21:32   #43

Quote:
I have to confess, my Nissan is gone now, replaced with a Beta50 (Kubota V2203).

Today I have been working on converting all the space I saved with the new engine into storage compartments.
Yep. I saved a lot of space and weight. New engine is about half the weight. Beta and nanni use the kubota base engines. That should ensure long term parts availability since the same engines are used in tractors and construction equipment. Keeps the parts pricing somewhat honest also.
Old 12-05-2020, 22:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
We can stop wondering now, I got a reply to the PM so to the others wondering what the out come is here goes

Originally Posted by Compass790
Would like to hear you got it running
Please post result on the CF thread if you can, I'm not the only one who would like to hear
cheers compass
Hello compass,

It has been a long time now. But yes I did get the engine running eventually. I can't remember what exactly we were discussing at the time, but I found the root of the problem to be the spring settings within the old Lucas CAV injection pump. I had assumed the PO had not screwed with the unit. He had, or somebody had. Once I set the throttle springs to the correct location, the engine started immediately. Additionally, I changed the exhaust system from the original setup. I purchased the correct Chrysler/Nissan exhaust riser from Barr Marine to fit the exhaust manifold originally manufactured in Canada. Also re-routed the exhaust out of the bilge by installing a lift muffler and some "custom" piping. Nice flow of water now. No chance of water returning to the heads.
Determined the battery cables were shot. Replaced those and added modern high torque starter. Optima Group 27 battery.
Anyway, engine starts and runs like a champ now. Relative to the other sailboats of similar size in out marina, I got myself a HOT ROD Lincoln …
Thanks for the follow up Sir.s:

A good result
Old 12-05-2020, 22:53   #45

That’s great. Thanks for posting. Errors by other people are very hard to troubleshoot. They aren’t something that wears out or breaks, it’s essentially sabatoge with symptoms not characteristic of wear. The HP pump above didn’t adjust itself and you’d never expect that it was fooled with. Only after a great deal of frustration would it come into question. Good to see he stuck with it.

Tags
engine, nissan