Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2013, 04:53   #1

New Here, Inboard Diesel

hey all, new to this forum thing so don't beat me up too bad. just looking to see if anyone has info on where I could find a really small "inboard" DEISEL motor. retrofitting my sailboat to "inboard outboard" can't find any leads....
survivor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:05   #2

doing what they say cant be done

looking for some feedback on, 1st using this forum, and more importantly where to try and find a small 18 to 25 hp. "diesel" inboard outboard set up. I am rebuilding my 18 ft daysailer and I want to put in a diesel because of fuel safety issues and also reliability. boat is currently inverted in my shop and I will be coating the hull and making some minor repairs to the bottom, but will be doing some major refurbishing on the top side, at this point the time to install a motor "inboard" would be while it is under restoration. however I can't find any leads "in the USA" on diesel inboards....any Ideas anyone???
Old 31-08-2013, 06:16   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
re: New Here, Inboard Diesel

They are always on Ebay. And here.
Buy or Sell your Diesel Engines on Diesel Engine Trader.
Old 31-08-2013, 06:24   #4

Re: doing what they say cant be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
looking for some feedback on, 1st using this forum, and more importantly where to try and find a small 18 to 25 hp. "diesel" inboard outboard set up. I am rebuilding my 18 ft daysailer and I want to put in a diesel because of fuel safety issues and also reliability. boat is currently inverted in my shop and I will be coating the hull and making some minor repairs to the bottom, but will be doing some major refurbishing on the top side, at this point the time to install a motor "inboard" would be while it is under restoration. however I can't find any leads "in the USA" on diesel inboards....any Ideas anyone???
What's an "inboard outboard setup"? What's the displacement of your boat?
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:25   #5

Boat: CL52
Where are you going to mount it? 18 to 25 hp? Have you done anything like this before?
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: New Here, Inboard Diesel

Welcome to forum.

I can see a potential problem with lot a weight in the stern. It may be possible to fit the motor more centrally with a shaft drive, but these sort of modifications are not easy.

If its a sailboat the smallest diesel will be fine. 18-25hp is way too much for a 18 foot displacement hull.

Most crusing yachts still have an outboard for their tender with the associated petrol storage and there a few accidents attributable to this cause. The many outboard powered trailerable yachts also have a good safety record.

A second small (2hp) outboard trolling motor can be fitted with a main 4-6hp outboard and the combination would be more reliable than a single diesel.

Sorry to be so negative, but major changes like this do need some careful thought.

Good luck.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:34   #7

yes, I have done a lot of work, and fabricating on boats before just not a SAILboat. can rebuild the engine and such just looking for leads on buying an engine. the hull will be reinforced with carbon fiber and a "engine platform" will be installed in the bottom. as a stuffing box built in the stern and the boat will have a port and starboard rudder, this is a hobby Project but will be in permanant use when I am done. also I haven't got this site all figured out yet either so bear with me
Old 31-08-2013, 06:40   #8

also I have already put 800lbs on the boat in the location of the intended motor and she dropped in the water 1 inch. but performed flawlessly. by the way the engine is not intended for speed the intention is for torque to push thru waves, out board hanging on the transm wont cut it if your in a pinch with some nasty waves
Old 31-08-2013, 06:49   #9

If you're sure about this, I figure any small marine diesel will do. A small Beta 14hp is about 200lbs or so. Small diesels aren't exactly rare, depending where you live a good place to start may be a local marine diesel distributor/shop, they always seem to have used engines hanging around.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Outboards hanging off the transom do suffer a lack of drive in pitching conditions.
Some trailerable yachts incorporate an outboard well with the outboard sitting much further forward.
This would be much simpler modification.

I am doubtful you will be able to use much more horsepower in very rough onditions. You will end up hitting the wave face too hard and launching into the trough.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 06:54   #11

in south Georgia here and it is horrible, not a lot of "sailers" here a lot o boaters but.... I just wanted a diesel and that is where I ran into trouble, I can find any kind of gas engine they are all over but diesel is nowhere
Old 31-08-2013, 07:07   #12

What do ya mean by inboard/outboard ? Usually means a separate " leg ' . If you are looking for a small engine and transmixer it otta be easy !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:09   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

About the smallest I have seen were small Nanni engines.

I think the smallest (1-cyl) Yanmar is quite compact.

I would pick nanni over yanmar (fresh water, 2 cylinders, more umps at lower revs)

How small is small?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 07:15   #14

yea I will be severly ovrpowerd but there will be a limit stop to the throttle and it will only go so fast I am not looking to go faster into a wave only to not be "pushed" back by it. its all just a hobby anyway and no one will have one like it. lol hull speed on this thing is only 18 "mph" anyway so...
Old 31-08-2013, 07:23   #15

yea, nanni I haven't seen that but yanmar I am familiar with, only the only place I can find DEISEL is overseas sites. one in particular allibaba marine in china. and Im not all up on the overseas trading. was hoping to find some dealers in usa

Tags
paracelle