Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 05:09   #46

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter
Re: Need A Diesel Mechanic !!

One other possibility not previously mentioned is that the cylinder liners in this Yanmar engine have sealing rings at the bottom end, where they fit the block bores. The sleeves seal at the top end against the head gasket.

In the original post, Tortuga mentioned WATER, AF and oil coming out the dipstick hole.
So, Tortuga - I wonder how you could tell the water and AF are separate?
Also, isn't the 3GM coolant cap the type you can attach a hand pump for radiator testing? Might want to check that out, and see if the system can be pressurized. Limit the pump pressure you apply to the rating of the Yanmar OEM cap. ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 08:31   #47

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga331 View Post
Paul,
Thanks for your time to help me get on the right path with this problem.

Now for the UPDATE:
I just got home from working on the boat. I thank all for your kind and helpful posts. I was able to rotate the engine 4 revolutions, it turned easily (with a breaker bar). I actuated the decompression levers. The engine started but ran real rough so I turned it off after 1 minute. The engine was shaking like crazy. I then re-filled it with oil and a new filter. I started the engine again and this time it sounded normal. No violent shaking. After 1 minute I turned off the engine to check for any oil leaks or coolant. All is dry (So far). So I had to leave it and will return tomorrow and really test it and run until it gets hot and see what happens. I don't know if a head gasket is blown or any other damage has occurred . If it starts tomorrow and it runs for 1/2 hour without blowing up, I'm thinking of trying to get it into my slip whis is 200 yds away(right now I am where the crane put me in from last week).
Thank you all once again, you are the best!
Bill
Tortuga lives ( I Think)
Did you really run it fo 1 minute without any oil in the oil pan?
Please disregard any advise for that procedure.
This isn't a good idea.
30 sec, to see if it fires up then immediately shut it down.
There's a lot of pressure on those rod cap bearings when starting without lube pressure.
I know it's been awhile since your last post.
So, how's it running now, any fluid in the oil pan that should not be there?
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 08:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post
You still need to determine the root cause of the water (?raw water or closed system water?) and antifreeze getting into the crankcase.
He said earlier he may have backed water up the exhaust to the cylinder.
ifvthere was really coolant(antifreeze) in that oil, it may well reappear at some later date.
Let's hope it's all good though.
Boatyarddog
Old 15-05-2022, 08:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
I can’t think of any way other than submersion, human error like putting it in there or a failed oil cooler that could put water in the crank. Assume there is significant damage ( head gasket, cracked block, cracked exhaust manifold ) until proven otherwise. Continuing to try to run it is putting off the inevitable and further spreading moisture throughout the engine. Get a compression and leak down test and a coolant system pressure test done.
You haven't had water back up to your engine from over cranking without a start?
You haven't experienced dread yet then.
It happens more often than we like to think.
Raw water must be shut off, till the engine can start to blow the water out of the system.
It will Hydrolock.
Boatyarddog
Old 15-05-2022, 09:39   #50

Boat: Beneteau331 34 feet

Hello everyone !
here is an update on Tortuga !
Beneteau 331 2004 Yanmar 3GM30F

Some great thoughts and question you all have.
I have 1/2 gallon of mixed oil/coolant or antifreeze or water that overflowed through the dipstick. I have it in my Garage and would love to analyse it to see exactly what I have. It is possible it is antifreeze or coolant mixed with oil.

I NEVER would run an engine for 1 minute without oil. I refilled it 2x to make sure it was clean.

I was advised to take it for a test run down the harbour. I was tempted to do the trial anyway because:
1. I ran it for 45 min once, next day 1 hour,
2. Next day started it, (starts great) and moved it to MY slip which was very close to where I was docked at launch, maybe 200 yds away. No problems at all.
3. Ran for an hour next 2 days, starts great, runs great, NO OIL issues, NO water or coolant issues. Check the oil frequently.( NO MILK TODAY) OR ANY DAY!
4. I'M going for a trip down the harbour!!

Within 5 minutes the engine stalled and I used my momentum to coast into a nearby private slip of another nearby Yacht club (talk about fear, docking a big (big to me) 34' boat in light winds, huge boats all around, fishing boats coming off the lake, with no lines(my lines are on my dock). I luckily docked with no harm to myself or others.

IM STRANDED:

NO PROBLEMS, I WILL CALL BOAT US FOR A TOW!

I was on the phone with Boat US Towing for an hour but she had to go to lunch and will call back in an hour or so.
when she returned the call after ANOTHER HOUR she asked" Don't you have anyone at the Yacht club that can tow you?"

BOAT US TOWING SAID, "We're sorry we have NO ONE in your area to help you.
Have a great day!

The boat would NOT START.
After getting a tow from a complete stranger( God bless you Bill)!,
I went back to my slip and docked. I then checked all fluids and ALL is well.
I tried several times to start the boat with no luck. It was left overnight with no power connected from land at the foreign dock.
Eventually, it started again and I took a video of this whole scenario.
AS PAUL recomended , I tied up tight to the dock and ran the engine for 5 minutes at 1/2 throttle. Looks good, sounds good, OIL fine , coolant fine, I ran in Forward and reverse. Keep it in forward for 5 minutes when it STALLED AGAIN, just like it did when I got stranded the other day. In SAME amount of time as previous .About 5 minutes. OIL not milky, or low.
I have a mechanic that might be free in 2 or 3 weeks. THIS REALLY SUCKS!

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

Bill
TORTUGA
Tortuga331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 09:54   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga331 View Post
Hello everyone !
here is an update on Tortuga !
Beneteau 331 2004 Yanmar 3GM30F

Some great thoughts and question you all have.
I have 1/2 gallon of mixed oil/coolant or antifreeze or water that overflowed through the dipstick. I have it in my Garage and would love to analyse it to see exactly what I have. It is possible it is antifreeze or coolant mixed with oil.

I NEVER would run an engine for 1 minute without oil. I refilled it 2x to make sure it was clean.

I was advised to take it for a test run down the harbour. I was tempted to do the trial anyway because:
1. I ran it for 45 min once, next day 1 hour,
2. Next day started it, (starts great) and moved it to MY slip which was very close to where I was docked at launch, maybe 200 yds away. No problems at all.
3. Ran for an hour next 2 days, starts great, runs great, NO OIL issues, NO water or coolant issues. Check the oil frequently.( NO MILK TODAY) OR ANY DAY!
4. I'M going for a trip down the harbour!!

Within 5 minutes the engine stalled and I used my momentum to coast into a nearby private slip of another nearby Yacht club (talk about fear, docking a big (big to me) 34' boat in light winds, huge boats all around, fishing boats coming off the lake, with no lines(my lines are on my dock). I luckily docked with no harm to myself or others.

IM STRANDED:

NO PROBLEMS, I WILL CALL BOAT US FOR A TOW!

I was on the phone with Boat US Towing for an hour but she had to go to lunch and will call back in an hour or so.
when she returned the call after ANOTHER HOUR she asked" Don't you have anyone at the Yacht club that can tow you?"

BOAT US TOWING SAID, "We're sorry we have NO ONE in your area to help you.
Have a great day!

The boat would NOT START.
After getting a tow from a complete stranger( God bless you Bill)!,
I went back to my slip and docked. I then checked all fluids and ALL is well.
I tried several times to start the boat with no luck. It was left overnight with no power connected from land at the foreign dock.
Eventually, it started again and I took a video of this whole scenario.
AS PAUL recomended , I tied up tight to the dock and ran the engine for 5 minutes at 1/2 throttle. Looks good, sounds good, OIL fine , coolant fine, I ran in Forward and reverse. Keep it in forward for 5 minutes when it STALLED AGAIN, just like it did when I got stranded the other day. In SAME amount of time as previous .About 5 minutes. OIL not milky, or low.
I have a mechanic that might be free in 2 or 3 weeks. THIS REALLY SUCKS!

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!

Bill
TORTUGA
Yes, I really didn't think you were going to run it without oil.
My failure to read on without check all the posts.
FRUSTRATING!

I'm glad your watery oil issues has resolved itself.
Were you getting air in your fuel system?
Remember don't crank to long without shutting the water feed off.
I'd check for a dislodged fuel filter, seal.
And, try to bleed the injectors.
Good on you, your sticking it out!
At least it's a different issue right.
This one may be easier.
Boatyarddog
Old 15-05-2022, 11:37   #52

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

have you changed all the copper seals of the banjo fittings ?

./.
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 14:12   #53

Boat: Beneteau331 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Yes, I really didn't think you were going to run it without oil.
My failure to read on without check all the posts.
FRUSTRATING!

I'm glad your watery oil issues has resolved itself.
Were you getting air in your fuel system?
Remember don't crank to long without shutting the water feed off.
I'd check for a dislodged fuel filter, seal.
And, try to bleed the injectors.
Good on you, your sticking it out!
At least it's a different issue right.
This one may be easier.
Boatyarddog
I wonder if there is a mechanism to shut down the engine if it overheats?
There is no temp gauge that I know of on the boat .
Possibly fuel filter is dirty. Air in the system is possible. I'm going to learn how to bleed the air out, if there is any. I will probably change the fuel filters as well. I can at least keep eliminating things so when and if the mechanic arrives,
I will save time, money and also parts might take a couple weeks to come in.
This , I think is much better than my original problem that has not came back YET?
Bill
Tortuga
Tortuga331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 14:26   #54

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Tortuga. It does sound like you may have air in your fuel. Or perhaps water from condensation over the winter.

Do change the filter, but before that, turn that little petcock at the bottom of the filter and catch what comes out in a cup or bowl. Depending where you are, the fuel will either be pink, or yellowish, either way, it shouldn't have little circles of water floating around in it like the grease in a nice stew. If it has any globules floating in it, that's likely water. Drain the water out of the filter until you have what looks like pure fuel in your bowl. I'd also like you to note if the globules and fuel looked clean, or dirty.

If you found water, then that's great, drain it all out of the filter, refill with fuel, then run it at the dock again until the temperature gets up. I'd guess a minimum of 5 minutes, but 20 minutes would be better.

If you don't find water in the fuel, change the filter, and try running it at the dock.

Do you know how to bleed a fuel filter housing? Can you include a photo of your primary fuel filter and housing?

Yanmar 3gm30 also has a little fuel filter on the block. It would be a good idea to change this too, or at least check it to see if it's clean.

Can you send me the video of your starting issue?

Cheers, and good luck.

Paul.
Old 15-05-2022, 14:51   #55

PS. A squeeze primer, like those used in outboards, are great to put inline, just before your primary filter.

I've always put one there. They help to fill the filter when changing it, they help to feed the engine when there's air coming in somewhere, and they are great tell tales for blocked lines. Any line blocked BEFORE the bulb will cause the bulb to collapse due to vacuum in the bulb. It won't show air coming in, but it'll help you to pressurize the lines after the bulb, and perhaps get you into the dock with a running engine, if it's convenient to get to.

I've done this in my last three boats, and I always recommend it.

Check your line size, and buy a bulb to fit the line. You're probably 1/4 fuel line, but it'll be written on the hose. Check first.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-05-2022, 18:07   #56

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Hey, Grit -
We know you know to say that water may be at the bottom of the fuel, not floating on top like grease in stew?
It swirls around under the water, right?
You’re a real friend and asset to Tortuga in his situation, and myself and others keep learning from your process.
Great work help a list mate!
Cheers ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:23   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninedotsix View Post
Hey, Grit -
We know you know to say that water may be at the bottom of the fuel, not floating on top like grease in stew?
It swirls around under the water, right?
You’re a real friend and asset to Tortuga in his situation, and myself and others keep learning from your process.
Great work help a list mate!
Cheers ~ 9.6
Yes, thanks for that clarification. I'm at a loss of how to better describe what it looks like in the bowl. It's the reverse of grease in a stew, but it'll remind you of stew just the same. "Floating" was certainly not the most accurate way to describe it.

Just as you said "It swirls around under the water, right?" instead of the fuel swirls around above the water. Sometimes what's in my head doesn't make it to the screen in exactly the right way.

I'm glad to be of some help.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 15-05-2022, 19:19   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
You haven't had water back up to your engine from over cranking without a start?
You haven't experienced dread yet then.
It happens more often than we like to think.
Raw water must be shut off, till the engine can start to blow the water out of the system.
It will Hydrolock.
Boatyarddog
That doesn’t put coolant into the oil
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 19:37   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
That doesn’t put coolant into the oil
The overflow mixture has not been analyzed yet, mentioned in an earlier post, and he wasn't quite sure what it was.if it seperate it may show color ,he has not said it had any color.
Boatyarddog
Old 16-05-2022, 04:02   #60

Boat: Pearson 386

Do try not to leave the dock without spare lines and proper ground tackle. Many folks leave their homeport lines in place for convenience but they don't head out without spares. It sounds like the boat may have sunk or been flooded at some point, not unheard of, but usually you would know if this were the case. So the new problem is its starved for fuel. You should be using an algaecide regularly. This prevents black algae growth, your fuel pick up in the tank must be clear enough to allow fuel to get where its going. Then go through the steps all the way to the injectors. Do you know how to bleed your fuel system? Not sure but I don't think the 3GM30F is self priming. With the key on turn on the electric fuel pump assuming it has one, drain the bowl of the fuel/water separator to purge any water accumulated if so equipped. Next change your primary fuel filter: Carefully clean the area around the sealing surfaces of the old one with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol, then remove it, prefill the new one with clean diesel to minimize air intrusion and install it if you haven't already done this. I think this engine also has mechanical priming lever and the electric fuel pump already mentioned ahead of the high pressure injector pump which will assist the bleeding process. It may then start, or start briefly and then starve itself and die, meaning you will have to continue to bleed the rest of the system all the way to the injectors. Follow the procedure for bleeding in your manual working your way from source up to the injectors. Don't forget to bring some spare lines with you.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, mechanic