Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2022, 02:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 393
Max Prop question

Hi All, Last November i had a service on my propeller (Tripale). Last month I started to fell a abnormal situation when leaving the marina. When I engage forward the boat starts to move and after 2 or 4 seconds he looks to full engage and accelerate a bit. Looks like he gives a small jump.

I have no idea what can be be cause. The diver went down and saw nothing and the blades have a clean movement. Can it be that the pitch was wrongly setup? can it be lack of grease? I did the engine maintenance as well and the nothing was notice. Also de shaft spins correctly.

I'm going to hull out this week, but would like to get your brains on such situation. maybe someone had the same problem.

Thanks
Pedro Morais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:20   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54
Re: Max Prop question

Hi, I had my max prop looked at twice , replaced all 4 motor mounts, mic'd the shaft, all to no avail. Then I sent the prop out to Washington, to the manufacturer , had it rebuilt... smooth as silk
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 22:57   #3

Re: Max Prop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Morais View Post
Hi All, Last November i had a service on my propeller (Tripale). Last month I started to fell a abnormal situation when leaving the marina. When I engage forward the boat starts to move and after 2 or 4 seconds he looks to full engage and accelerate a bit. Looks like he gives a small jump.

I have no idea what can be be cause. The diver went down and saw nothing and the blades have a clean movement. Can it be that the pitch was wrongly setup? can it be lack of grease? I did the engine maintenance as well and the nothing was notice. Also de shaft spins correctly.

I'm going to hull out this week, but would like to get your brains on such situation. maybe someone had the same problem.

Thanks

Looks like rotation of blades is not smooth enough, so initially prop has a smaller pitch, then after a while it goes to the preset pitch, if it's the prop the problem is caused either by a lack of grease or by too tight tolerances when machining during the refurbish. You can check if the blades move well turning them by hands. If the prop is smooth enough then it may be the gear box clutch
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote