Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2022, 21:08   #1

how to loosen BIG nuts?

wanting to remove my gearbox
thus, trying to lift my engine ‘up 6 inches’ and ‘forward 6 inches’

Lister STW 3. LH150 gearbox - burnt out clutch

struggling to loosen the 4 x 15/16th nuts
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1651032456.039216.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	256728
any suggestions?
SteelCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 21:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: how to loosen BIG nuts?

I wouldnt describe them as big nuts but an impact wrench ( aka rattle gun) will make short work of them especially if you spray them with penetrating oil & leave overnight before hitting with a rattle gun.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 21:49   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Yeah, nut bigness is all relative... I had to buy 3/4" drive 1-1/4 to 3-1/2" sockets to work on my tractor. 4ft floor jack handle gets used as a cheater on the breaker bar, sometimes with me jumping on the end of it.

As stated, penetrating oil at least overnight, then impact gun or a breaker bar (using at least 1/2" drive sockets) or a piece of pipe on your ratchet handle to give you more leverage (using a proper breaker bar recommended, or lifetime guarantee rachets and due care you don't get hurt or break something if the ratchet fails.

If using an extension on the socket be mindful to support the top of it and not get off-axis as you're pulling.
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 21:51   #4

Boat: Columbia 50

Those nuts would normally come off pretty easily (to align the engine, periodically), but your mounts look like they’re totally corroded to death. If you are moving the engine anyway, I’d say cut the bolt off with an angle grinder and replace them. If you can get them loose as compas79 said above, so much the better, but replace them regardless.....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 00:39   #5

Boat: Contessa 26

I had the same problem with my big nuts. My issue was that the torque I applied to the nut was absorbed by twisting the rubber in the mount. The nut was screwed to a stud that was welded to a metal plate that was bonded to the rubber. I had to stop the twist by restraining the metal plate with mole grips or an adjustable spanner, wedged up against something firm. Then, using a breaker bar, all the torque was transferred to the nut and hay presto! In my experience on automobiles, using a rattle gun on parts that are bonded into rubber/plastic mouldings, just shears the bond with the moulding, rather than loosening the nut. Good luck!.
Bad Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 02:41   #6

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

use a BIG spanner (sorry, couldn't resist it)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 02:43   #7

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Those nuts would normally come off pretty easily (to align the engine, periodically), but your mounts look like they’re totally corroded to death. If you are moving the engine anyway, I’d say cut the bolt off with an angle grinder and replace them. If you can get them loose as compas79 said above, so much the better, but replace them regardless.....

Matt
The bracket would likely be in the way to use a decent angle grinder.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:02   #8

Boat: Swan 57

If you want to avoid too much brutality, start by heating the nut from the side with a propane/buthane flame Ø 10 - 15 mm so that it gets really hot. If you after that can not just use a wrench, then the rattle gun will fix it easily.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:06   #9

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
If you want to avoid too much brutality, start by heating the nut from the side with a propane/buthane flame Ø 10 - 15 mm so that it gets really hot. If you after that can not just use a wrench, then the rattle gun will fix it easily.
Certainly would NOT do that, as it will damage the rubber mount below it and probably render them useless. Knowing how much some engine mounts can be to replace, I would do my best to not damage them unless they are already beyond redemption. There is also the very real risk of igniting the rubber with attendant toxic fumes and fire risk.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:09   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Drill down vertically on both sides of the nut with an electric drill then split the nut with a cold chisel. That way you will salvage the engine mount and only need to replace the split nuts.
Old 27-04-2022, 03:22   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you could get a pneumatic impact wrench and air compressor on the boat it would be easier that injuring your knuckles or worse.
Old 27-04-2022, 03:45   #12

How to remove big nuts? In Australia we do that by voting.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 03:52   #13

Boat: Pearson 10M

If you’re going to use an impact gun they sell battery powered impact guns. Check Milwaukee for some nice ones.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 04:33   #14

Boat: Riva 48

If you will be purchasing tools for this project, I would suggest a torque multiplier. It will be handy when the time to fix the keel bolts/nuts comes.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 04:51   #15

Boat: Hunter 170

Here is where experience would make a difference. Finding an experienced bolt turner might be a big help.

That being said. I would go with a bigger wrench. Get a 1/2" drive breaker bar, extension and socket. Put constant tension on it and increase it feeling for movement. There is a lot of feel in getting something like this off in one piece.

An impact wrench might be a good items or it could break the stud.

For penetrating fluid a 50:50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid was found to be the best in various tests.

Yes, I have had my share of getting things apart that dont want to. I play with antique restoration.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote