Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2023, 01:11   #91

Boat: Logan 33
Re: Lombardini Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Hi Dave, no problem but not much to add about FOCS other than I’m more convinced than ever that it’s an imbalance of output and possibly phasing across the 3 unit injectors and the only way to resolve this is to find a tech with the balancing manifold. I considered trying to read the temp of each cylinder at the exhaust ports but the heat exchanger prevents this. I see so few of these engines it’s simply not worthwhile buying the Lombardini service tools or even trying to make the rig up with some calibrated test tubes and creative plumbing. Has your engine settled down and behaved nicely since your post?
I think I mentioned that I also suspected that the constant speed governor model might have somehow been used rather than the variable speed governor on some engines.... but that’s just a theory that drifted by on a long international flight at 0400hrs.

Hi Pete,
I have a 1404M so 4 cylinders, and yes it is better but not perfect. There is another new owner of same engine nearby so I hope to compare that one.
With softer mounts and higher idle rpm mine is usually good. The shift in to forward is sometimes a heavy ‘clunk’ though so it’s a juggle between higher idle rpm and smooth gear shifting (no clunk at low rpm….750).
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 14:00   #92

I’m glad to hear that your Lombardini runs well, the extra cylinder makes a big difference regarding low rpm vibration. The clunky shifting raises questions about the drive plate and gearbox if you do a lot of manoeuvering so it might be wise to plan a gearbox removal to inspect the drive plate and the spline on the shaft as well as in the hub if you’re planning a voyage to remote places. These engines actually run pretty well out of the factory so I don’t totally hate em but they built in a collection of weaknesses in the pursuit of a lighter smaller and more elegant power plant. It really irks me that they have a paragraph in the brochure extolling the lack of vibration due to excellent manufacturing tolerances. Hopefully now that Kohler owns the brand, a better approach to servicing and addressing the well known “FOCS” engine adjustment and vibration problems will prevail...... I’m hoping!
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 23:16   #93

Boat: Logan 33

Thanks, I’ve had the transmission off, I’m not a mechanic but I couldn’t see anything wrong with the spline or drive plate.
One clue is that shift in to reverse is always perfectly smooth, and in to forward is sometime fine, sometimes a clunk. So it’s like there is play in the system somewhere, and it depends where it is left after the previous gearshift. It is not always after being in reverse, or forward. Seems random. A very good mechanic in Auckland had a listen and thought it wasn’t bad, but also was not in the gearbox area, but rather back near the rear cutlass bearing, but I don’t agree!! I do have a long shaft, and a flexible Centaflex couplings and a driveshaft. I think they are all solid though, with no play. It’s baffled me for some time..Dave
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 02:03   #94

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Anyone with these engines might like to look at Medartengine on Youtube a real incite into how the injector system works.

Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 02:15   #95

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wight Mistress View Post
On to my question: Has anyone out there experienced the LDC engine hours/battery voltage display play up intermittently? There are two problems here: one is that the actual display fails, showing odd dashes etc, and the other is that the voltage indication is always a volt or two lower than the actual measured voltage.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Regards
Steve

I have 2 one plays up regularly the other is fine. The unit comprises layered PCB's and I found that separating the the boards cleaning the terminals (spray cleaner) and reassembling them solves the problem for a little while. I have installed remote gauges. The units are made by Pine in Italy and are horrendously expensive. I am considering replacing them with DSE controllers.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel