Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2008, 09:21   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
True on a modern engine, but my Perkins 4-108 recommends overhauling the injectors every 400 hours.

In addition to one spare injector I carry plenty of spare belts, impellers, a spare alternator, spare starter, spare heat-exchanger, spare head (complete except bowl), over haul kit for head, spare bilge pump, spare float switch, spare zinks for prop shaft, heat exchanger, rudder bearings, etc. Also spare water, oil, and fuel filters...And a bunch of other spare parts, can't even list 'em..Too long of a list..The boat is heavy and slow but she will get there adventually as there is a spare for just about everything that can go wrong.
Now for the dirt....
When was the last time you used one of the hard parts? heat exchenger? head? injector?

when were these parts purchased?

What I'm getting at is we all have a lot of money in spares that we'll probably never need. If we do need then, FEDEX and UPS run everyday to almost everywhere on the globe. Heck, you might be stuck in paradise for an extra week.
I know I for one could better use that thousands of dollars for more critical things like Rum and cruising permits.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 10:23   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
When was the last time you used one of the hard parts? heat exchenger? head? injector?
Occasionally I take the heat exchanger off, have it boiled out in acid while I install the spare one..Sort of rotating the inventory..Same with the alternator. (But no boiling in acid, just regualar overhaul..)
Most of that stuff came with the boat. Previous owner was live-aboard for 5 years and sailed to some remote areas.
Guess he found specials on some of the stuff and found it worthwhile to stock up. I added the starter...Put a new small frame one on the boat and had old heavy one overhauled, then stored it onboard..One thing about them CSY boats, plenty of storage, then some. (No aft cabin and no second head or any other wimpy stuff, just stoarge )
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07   #18

To Carry an injector or not???

I carry one injector and needed it. If your going to rely on getting one on some island...dont. You will not get one without a wait. I'm in St Lucia and they have nothing you need! Take one with you!!
Divertitch is offline   Reply With Quote