Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2022, 15:17   #1

Boat: EDELCAT33
Ideas to temporary fix water tub end on a Yamaha 15 HP (15MH) 2 cycle outboard

While changing the water pump impeller on the O/B, I broke about an inch end section of the water tube connecting the water pump with the rubber grommet and the water pump casing. So now the water being pumped will not go to the tube

A replacement is just $26 to $30 ( part 63V-44361-01-00), BUT when I look at the schematic of the engine, it appears that changing that tube entails basically taking the whole thing apart, not sure I want to do this yet.

The tube seems to be copper and I have yet to run a micrometer to see the OD, but I wonder if a Home Depot copper pipe will do the job.

Have anybody in the group faced this issue?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	267585
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3322.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	267586
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 16:05   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Ideas to temporary fix water tub end on a Yamaha 15 HP (15MH) 2 cycle outboard

The copper pipe from depot is likely to big. You can buy that brass tube and bend it as needed but I doubt you’ll save a bunch. Some plastic tubing for fish tank filter with some clamps may work. I’m not too familiar with the 15. Must be a 90’s and deserves new parts. I don’t think Yamaha expected their 2 strokes to last this long. They are over built I suppose. I’ve tried to keep a few 2 strokes running for friends. Yamaha doesn’t even list spark plug wire sets anymore. You have to make your own.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 16:16   #3

Re: Ideas to temporary fix water tub end on a Yamaha 15 HP (15MH) 2 cycle outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
The copper pipe from depot is likely to big. You can buy that brass tube and bend it as needed but I doubt you’ll save a bunch. Some plastic tubing for fish tank filter with some clamps may work. I’m not too familiar with the 15. Must be a 90’s and deserves new parts. I don’t think Yamaha expected their 2 strokes to last this long. They are over built I suppose. I’ve tried to keep a few 2 strokes running for friends. Yamaha doesn’t even list spark plug wire sets anymore. You have to make your own.

Thanks maybe. 3/8” OD air condition tube May work.
I will go tomorrow’s

The price is not an issue, is cheaper than getting a burger here in Miami, it looks doubting to take the whole thing apart for a small tube. But have done it before with lots of stress but done.
Old 17-11-2022, 15:26   #4

Quote:
You seem not be aware that not only is this model Yamaha is still being made, but it is likely the most popular model outboard engine in the world.

If you can't get parts for it, you are just not looking in the right places.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2022, 18:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post

You seem not be aware that not only is this model Yamaha is still being made, but it is likely the most popular model outboard engine in the world.

If you can't get parts for it, you are just not looking in the right places.

Man do you read my post??????
I actually said the part cost $26 and I can buy it tomorrow
I just do not want to take the engine apart just to change the tube because 1/2 inch of the end broke

Answer with a practical advice to the question or keep quiet
Old 17-11-2022, 18:46   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Buy the new tube for $26. Cut it to get the section that goes into the water pump. Trim the old piece and round it out if necessary then attach it with some really good heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside it, then go boating.

The heat shrink will allow you to attach it without disassembling everything. Use two layers if you think it will help. You can also use a piece of rubber tubing and some clamps but there isn't much room to get a wrench in there to tighten the clamps.
Old 17-11-2022, 19:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Buy the new tube for $26. Cut it to get the section that goes into the water pump. Trim the old piece and round it out if necessary then attach it with some really good heat shrink tubing that has adhesive inside it, then go boating.

The heat shrink will allow you to attach it without disassembling everything. Use two layers if you think it will help. You can also use a piece of rubber tubing and some clamps but there isn't much room to get a wrench in there to tighten the clamps.

Thanks Jammer, funny that is what I am set to do but with a $1.99 irrigation tube just found in Home Depot.
Take care
Old 21-11-2022, 07:07   #8

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:

Yamaha still make two strokes engine like the popular 15hp. They are not sold in USA but in other countries like the Bahamas and in the Caribbean. In fact, small two strokes engines known to be more reliable in salt water with fair quality of gasoline and lot easier to maintain than 4 strokes engines.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, water