Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 16:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How to use a Baja filter-funnel ?

Its a bad design flaw. I have now tossed two different funnels because of it. There is a clear market opportunity here for someone.

The small 'pour off jerry jug' idea is interesting, but adds a complication which I don't need.

I try to get a look at the first bit of the fuel (usually into a clear plastic water bottle) and let it settle a bit, but often that's not practical/possible. Bad fuel is fortunately less common than I (at least) expected from all the stories.

We have been served really bad fuel only once, from obviously rusty 55gal drums. I used a kitchen towel as a filter, trapped a lot of rust. Good enough to get the 'big stuff' and leave the small stuff for the racor(s), but obviously not as good as an excellent pre-filter.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:43   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

After fueling up, dismantle the Baja and mop out with paper towel. Put paper towel in the trash. Simples.

The other trick, as it takes ages to fuel and your hand will sieze up holding the trigger in the right position is to tie a sort length of line round the trigger and nozzle body and us a screwdriver as a spanish windlass. Voila! fingertip control.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

How do these funnels compare to the Baja?

Mr. Funnel

I have no connection to either ... I found this version while looking to purchase a Baja.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:04   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use old t shirts and sox to filter my fuel--so far so good--not as much dirt as air..my fuel pick up has been my culprit--is being fixed today....hooyaahhh.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How do these funnels compare to the Baja?
Mr. Funnel
According to Practical Sailor, the Baja filter works very well in their tests; but West Marine's new Teflon-based filter (Mr. Funnel) did better for less.
I’ve happily used both, with no discernible difference in performance.

An interesting article taken from Good Old Boat magazine: Volume 2, Number 2, March/April 1999:
Fuel and Water Filters ~ by Bill Sandifer
Good Old Boat - Fuel and water filters: Simple insurance policies article

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:20   #21

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
West Marine's new Teflon-based filter (Mr. Funnel) did better for less.
That's the one we have (and that I linked to in the OP). I probably shouldn't have called it the generic Baja filter/funnel since Baja filter/funnel might be a trademark ? Think Xerox

Thx.

-Sven
Old 10-04-2013, 08:40   #22

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

We have the fancy aluminum one with several screens and had a similar experience of using it once, realizing it was annoying to deal with leftover diesel, and resorted to frequent changes of the Racor element. Racor's clear bowl that can be emptied when convenient is a nice feature. Not sure if something like this could be incorporated into a portable filter funnel but it would be great.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:01   #23

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have been content with the Baja filter, it seems to work well, and I haven't had a problem with the flow. I got the biggest one they offered.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23   #24

Here's what everyone does that no is saying: pour it overboard on a hot, sunny day which is easy to find in Baja. It's not a big deal. Be nice and pour it into something to hold the fuel until you're far enough off shore. Or walk it up to a boat yard (which are often by fuel docks) and have them dispose of it.

But dumping small amounts of diesel into flat-ish water on hot days isn't that bad.

Small Diesel Spills (500-5,000 gallons) | response.restoration.noaa.gov

Quote:
Diesel fuel is most often a light, refined petroleum product. Small diesel spills will usually evaporate and disperse naturally within a day or less. This is particularly true for typical spills from a fishing vessel (500-5,000 gallons), even in cold water.

Diesel oil is readily and completely degraded by naturally occurring microbes, under time frames of one to two months.

In terms of toxicity to water-column organisms, diesel is considered to be one of the most acutely toxic oil types. Fish, invertebrates, and seaweed that come in direct contact with a diesel spill may be killed. However, small spills in open water are so rapidly diluted that fish kills have never been reported. Fish kills have been reported for small spills in confined, shallow water.
And by "small spill" they mean 500-5,000 gallons. The half cup left over from your baja filter is nothing.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46   #25

rebel heart, I can't help, but think, that you have your tongue firmly lodged in your cheek.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:48   #26

Another possible solution is to put some oil absorb pads into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and punch a few holes near the top to allow the fuel to evaporate into the atmosphere.
Old 11-04-2013, 13:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
rebel heart, I can't help, but think, that you have your tongue firmly lodged in your cheek.
There's just a big disconnect in some places between what the Internet says and what is actually happening in the real world. I have yet to see a single pump out of a single vessel anywhere in Mexico, despite everyone on this forum telling me that's not the case. Likewise, there's no way anyone's going to keep a five gallon bucket full of evaporating diesel on a vessel which would stink to high hell when pouring it in the water will accomplish the same.

I surf, swim, fish, and scuba dive so I care very much about the water and always have. But there are credible threats and then there is walking around like Howard Hughes. I don't dump my a gallon of engine oil in the ocean when I change it, but I do clean off plates in the sink that have olive oil on them.

Like down in Mexico here it's funny to see Mexican moms with their children all bundled up in jackets on the hottest days of the years. Mexican moms are obsessed that their children are going to get cold because their temperature regulatory system isn't fully developed.

Similar to Americans not wanting to throw a half cup of oil in the water there is a shred of truth to the Mexican mom being concerned, but it's not actually a practical problem so you don't need to invent practical solutions.

/rant
Old 11-04-2013, 14:02   #28

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have yet to see a single pump out of a single vessel anywhere in Mexico, despite everyone on this forum telling me that's not the case.
We get a pumpout once a week when we are in a slip, costs us $11US each time in the current marina, Marina De La Paz. Don't remember what it cost in Cabo San Lucas but it sure wasn't expensive. The marina we were in in Ensenada had no pumpout and the only one was in the newest marina, but we didn't stay long enough to need it.

When not slip-bound we dump off shore as needed.

-Sven
Old 11-04-2013, 14:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
We get a pumpout once a week when we are in a slip, costs us $11US each time in the current marina, Marina De La Paz. Don't remember what it cost in Cabo San Lucas but it sure wasn't expensive. The marina we were in in Ensenada had no pumpout and the only one was in the newest marina, but we didn't stay long enough to need it.

When not slip-bound we dump off shore as needed.

-Sven
I don't doubt you for a minute, I'm just saying (and I'm sure you'd agree with vessels you see around you) that it's the rare occurrence in Mexico.

On a less gross note, we're actually headed to La Paz soon, leaving Banderas Bay (La Cruz). Taking the slow road up the coast then crossing over at Mazatlan.
Old 11-04-2013, 14:27   #30

Boat: Fantasia 35

Sven,

When you change your oil what do you do with the old oil? Do the same with the cup of diesel from the Baja filter. The small amount of diesel mixed with the old engine oil will only make the oil a tiny bit less viscous.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja