Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2022, 06:43   #16

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'
Re: How do you lift your Mercury 4 stroke outboard ?

It looks like you have a Davis harness. Do you know if it's the newer Model 430 or an older one. They say the 430's have a larger front loop to better fit the newer 4 cycle streamlined cases. The older model's front strap doesn't fit over the top of the front of the case. I'm having the same problem and shopping for a replacement harness that works on the newer cases. I have a 2018 Tohatsu 9.8.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 14:16   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
How do you lift your Mercury 4 stroke outboard ?

Scrimshaw4, if your question was to me, mine isn’t a Davis anymore. I bought an Outboardlift.

https://outboardlift.com/

I think it is more secure than the Davis harness I had previously on my little 3.5hp. I still don’t like any of these harnesses with plastic buckles. One of these days I will make up a harness from my own webbing. I’ll probably do it just after I should have.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 14:40   #18

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: How do you lift your Mercury 4 stroke outboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have a lifting davit for the Merc 15 HP 2-S. The Lift sling appears to be the same as yours. I've always felt a bit nervous about it and belay a safety line when we operate the lift. I've never had a problem but it looks like crap.
I have one of those and I hate it. I always tie a bit of dock line to the motor when using it, but that won't stop it getting a dunking, just make it retrievable.

I plan on splicing some permanent dyneema around the motor when I get a chance.

I use a 4 part block and tackle with a large snap shackle connecting the 2-sheave block to the harness with the upper fiddle and becket block which has a cam cleat on it attacked to my davits with a dyneema soft shackle. This setup requires 2 people to safely lower or raise the motor.

I plan on swapping the regular block with the fiddle/becket/cleat block so that I can control it all while standing in the dink. We'll see if that works better.

My outboard weighs the same as my wife, 98 lbs, its a little tricky for her to do lol
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, lift, mercury, outboard