Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 08:56   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Coopercoat: what do you put on saildrives and FFOF propellers

Hi all,
after repairs of the rogue wave damages inside and drying out the blank underwatership I will after 3 coats of special anti osmosis Epoxy filler and 1 layer Epoxy primer put coopercoat on.

But what do you put on the saildrives and the folding propellers like Flex-O-Fold?

I can service everything from on top and only need to replace the anodes on the saildrives and FFOF which I can do with snorkeling equipment in a calm bay in water.
So obviously i don't wanna haul out just to antifoul saildrives and props...the hull is protected by coppercoat. Saildrives yes you can after several layers of Epoxy primer put coopercoat on but my very good surveyor advised me not to do it as he inspected and is aware of several cases where the coopercoat damaged the saildrives and caused severe corrosion even there were several coats of isolating primer on. Especially the joints are a problem.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 09:04   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Coopercoat: what do you put on saildrives and FFOF propellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi all,

after repairs of the rogue wave damages inside and drying out the blank underwatership I will after 3 coats of special anti osmosis Epoxy filler and 1 layer Epoxy primer put coopercoat on.

But what do you put on the saildrives and the folding propellers like Flex-O-Fold?

I can service everything from on top and only need to replace the anodes on the saildrives and FFOF which I can do with snorkeling equipment in a calm bay in water.

Propspeed

https://propspeed.com/
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 10:52   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
On prop and saildrive?
How long will it last?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:01   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On prop and saildrive?

How long will it last?

On both, yes. Might get a couple of years out of it.
Old 28-12-2021, 18:49   #5

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hi all,

So obviously i don't wanna haul out just to antifoul saildrives and props...the hull is protected by coppercoat. Saildrives yes you can after several layers of Epoxy primer put coopercoat on but my very good surveyor advised me not to do it as he inspected and is aware of several cases where the coopercoat damaged the saildrives and caused severe corrosion even there were several coats of isolating primer on. Especially the joints are a problem.
Yes, it's the saildrive joints that are the potential issue.
We don't bother putting anything on our Flexofold - the mass of Coppercoat on the hull seems to keep the prop reasonably clean. But you can treat props with Coppercoat, and those who have, get around five years out of it in that situation. Just abrade, prime, then five coats of CC.

Just keep it out of the teeth, and bearing faces.
Old 28-12-2021, 18:58   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We don't bother putting anything on our Flexofold - the mass of Coppercoat on the hull seems to keep the prop reasonably clean.
That's not how anti fouling works, especially not one that leaches so little biocide as to be considered non-toxic. If you unpainted metals are not becoming foul, it's because there aren't any fouling organisms present. The Coppercoat on your hull is incapable of keeping your prop clean.
Old 28-12-2021, 21:05   #7

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
That's not how anti fouling works, especially not one that leaches so little biocide as to be considered non-toxic. If you unpainted metals are not becoming foul, it's because there aren't any fouling organisms present. The Coppercoat on your hull is incapable of keeping your prop clean.
I speak from experience - heaps of fouling where we go, just that we don't see much of it.
Old 28-12-2021, 21:07   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I speak from experience - heaps of fouling where we go, just that we don't see much of it.
Not the point. The point is that the anti fouling product on your HULL is not keeping your PROP clean.
Old 28-12-2021, 22:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Not the point. The point is that the anti fouling product on your HULL is not keeping your PROP clean.
+++ This ....
Old 29-12-2021, 02:01   #10

I think that the manufacturer of coppercoat does not see a reason why not paint a saildrive with it.

I put in 2013 3 layers of epoxyprimer and five of CC on the saildrive. No corrosion on the saildrive and half of the paint disappeared from the propeller..

Is there a reason why the anode wouldn't protect a saildrive when it is painted with coppercoat?
nepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 02:11   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

If you haven't already done it read this first.

https://coppercoat.brucebalan.com/
We had similar poor experience. Now know more boats that have anti-fouled over it than are happy with it.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 02:22   #12

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I use ordinary Lanolin on my Featherstream prop and adjacent stainless steel skeg, which seems to work well, at least for a normal 8 month sailing season. I melt the Lanolin in a tin cup with a hot air gun, brush it on the prop and skeg, wave the hot air gun over both till the Lanolin melts and 'curtains' over the surface, wait for it to cool down and solidify then heat up the Lanolin in the cup and add another coat and that's it. takes about twenty minutes in all. virtually no fouling at all by the end of the season, and very cheap. Just keep it off the anode.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 06:06   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
Is there a reason why the anode wouldn't protect a saildrive when it is painted with coppercoat?

Not as long as the anode mounting area isn’t coated.
Old 29-12-2021, 06:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepal View Post
I think that the manufacturer of coppercoat does not see a reason why not paint a saildrive with it.

I put in 2013 3 layers of epoxyprimer and five of CC on the saildrive. No corrosion on the saildrive and half of the paint disappeared from the propeller..

Yes, there is a reason, The S/D manufacturer determined the mass and surface area of the anode for cathodic protection. They did not calculate an extra 2.5sq.ft of what essentially becomes a copper cathode.

How much effect will this have ..... it depends on integrity of the epoxy coating, even a single scratch through the epoxy to the aluminum can complete the galvanic circuit. An anode affixed on top of a Coppercoat painted surface so that it is in contact with the Coppercoat will complete the galvanic circuit.

How serious is this ? Maybe not serious at all or may cause significant corrosion ... no way to tell without measuring with a silver silver chloride half cell
Old 29-12-2021, 06:44   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes, there is a reason, The S/D manufacturer determined the mass and surface area of the anode for cathodic protection. They did not calculate an extra 2.5sq.ft of what essentially becomes a copper cathode.
In a proper application on a saildrive the Coppercoat is not in direct contact with any aluminum. So how would the saildrive leg anode also be protecting the Coppercoat, assuming that's what you are inferring would happen?

Tags
cooper, propeller, rope, sail, saildrive