Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 16:18   #31

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: Help identify this dampener?

The latest update:
Bought a coupler and a drive saver, and think I've got it close enough.

Transmission guy came by this morning and says "Yep, looks like you're ready for the yard now"

So now we've got to haul the boat, they're going to pull the shaft, send it to have the coupler mated to it, then reinstall and align the engine.

A powerboater friend says I should have the engine aligned in the water, not on the hard. Do you think that's necessary with an overbuilt full keel boat?

There goes the backup dinghy fund.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:22   #32

Yes align in the water, or at least check it when you get back in even if you aligned out of the water.
Take a close look at the shaft when It's pulled (in the enclosed portion)... for corrosion.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 18:22   #33

Talked to a buddy who said "Do you have the shaft secured?" D'OH! Could just imagine me in the dinghy... my wife in the boat... not noticing the water until it was coming out the companionway...

So now we may just try and do it in the slip. Are there any tricks to be done with the drip-less shaft, or can we just have a diver pull the prop and then pull the shaft out?

We don't need to do anything with the rudder except turn it to the side to pull the shaft.
Old 14-08-2015, 18:39   #34

Not sure I like pulling the shaft in the water! Put a hose clamp on the shaft next to t he stuffing box when you tow the boat for haulout so it cant move aft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 20:46   #35

[QUOTE=autumnbreeze27;1890860

A powerboater friend says I should have the engine aligned in the water, not on the hard. Do you think that's necessary with an overbuilt full keel boat?

There goes the backup dinghy fund.[/QUOTE]

I would have the alignment set up on the hard and then check with a feeler gauge when back in the water. As I see it would then just be slipping the coupling bolts out and going around with feeler.

Your friend is basically correct. All boats bend. They bend up in the middle on the hard and down in the middle floating.

It's a difference thing. Not one bend but one each way.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 23:31   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

AutumnBreeze,

Check the engine mounts while you're out. If they've gone all squidgy, they'll need replacing. Then, with that possible source of misalignment out of the way, proceed, and it's okay to do a preliminary fit on the hard. BUT, once launched, be sure to use a dial indicator gauge to measure the runout. It is necessary to fine tune it in the water, 'cause that's where the boat spends most of her time, and, as mentioned above, they do do the "banana" once relaunched.

Good luck with it.

Ann

P.S., sorry about the dinghy.
Old 15-08-2015, 20:22   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
AutumnBreeze,

Check the engine mounts while you're out. If they've gone all squidgy, they'll need replacing. Then, with that possible source of misalignment out of the way, proceed, and it's okay to do a preliminary fit on the hard. BUT, once launched, be sure to use a dial indicator gauge to measure the runout. It is necessary to fine tune it in the water, 'cause that's where the boat spends most of her time, and, as mentioned above, they do do the "banana" once relaunched.

Good luck with it.

Ann

P.S., sorry about the dinghy.
Thanks for all the info. We're going to have them do the cutlass bearing while we're out as well. Our prop is in an aperture, would it be worth getting it balanced/tuned? I can't believe it's ever hit anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prop.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	107370  
Old 16-08-2015, 05:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Thanks for all the info. We're going to have them do the cutlass bearing while we're out as well. Our prop is in an aperture, would it be worth getting it balanced/tuned? I can't believe it's ever hit anything
I can't see the need for rebalancing it unless it has been reworked for some reason. It is unlikely to rotate over 1000 rpm and probably less. A good polish could be worthwhile.

Herreshof wrote something like: one barnacle on a propellor is like 1,000 barnacles on the hull because the wetted area of a hull is 1,000 as great as a propellor and the propellor is driving the boat forward with the same force as the hull is holding it back
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote