Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2019, 05:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Fuel fill hose degradation

Has anyone experienced a diesel fuel fill hose (it runs from deck fuel fill port into the onboard fuel tank) that has aged/degraded to the point that its interior is sloughing off during fueling and depositing grey black debris into an otherwise clean onboard fuel tank?

I think that may be the primary source of debris in my tank...
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 06:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Fuel fill hose degradation

Hoses get old. Replace it. If your raw water hoses are also old inspect them carefully too.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 06:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Not on a fuel hose, but exhaust yes. Is it a hose rated for fuel or has a previous owner stuck something else in there. Any identification marks on it you could look up to see the spec?

Either way, replace it and check the other hoses on board, like flexible exhaust hose or the hose on the stuffing box if fitted.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 11:20   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

I ran a swab/patch down 5’-6’ of the fill hose 3 times and no debris. Inspected exterior of the 1/4” fuel return line and it shows no sign of aging (estimated at 9 years old - probably changed when engine was replaced). I now think tank debris is either 1) back to fuel gunk/growth/etc or 2) debris pumped into the tank at fuel up, either since we’ve owned her or maybe in the past... I’ll git’er tank cleaned out and then see what develops going forward.... I ran a swab/patch down 5’-6’ of the fill hose 3 times and no debris. Inspected exterior of the 1/4” fuel return line and it shows no sign of aging (estimated at 9 years old - probably changed when engine was replaced). I now think tank debris is either 1) back to fuel gunk/growth/etc or 2) debris pumped into the tank at fuel up, either since we’ve owned her or maybe in the past... I’ll git’er tank cleaned out and then see what develops going forward....
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel