Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2020, 23:46   #1

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design
Engine Rev accuracy

Hi All. I am about to take ownership of an aluminium yacht which has a 50hp Perkins Prima deisel. She has a s/s Autostream S1 self-feathering prop with adjustable pitch. Based on the rev counter, the pitch has been set for the engines Maximum Rated Speed of 3,000rpm.

The thing I have noticed is that at 3,000rpm (per the guage), the yacht speed through the water is only 5knts. Her displacement is only 8.9 tons and I would have expected a higher speed for this "weight". The prop cavitates at revs higher than 3,000rpm so effectively there is no useable power left.

At the wharf, the engine revs to 5,000rpm wide open throttle and not under load.

I don't know if such high revs (5,000rpm) are normal and am wondering if the rev counter is reading far too high engine revs. My aim is to make sure the prop is adjusted properly for the engines Max Rated Speed of 3,000rpm. But I don't know if the gauges are reading rpm correctly.

Any constructive suggestions appreciated.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 00:02   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Engine Rev accuracy

You could get a hand held tachometer and check it for yourself. This is sample but there are dozens of others on eBay etc.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/digital-tachometer/p/QM1448
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:44   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Just went through this exercise with my Yanmar to get fit for a new prop. I think it is important to get both the speed at the crankshaft and after the reduction gear. I used a harbor freight tool worked fine.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 21:55   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Wideocean7 according to the brochure 3000 rpm is where your Perkins max rpm should be at. That link below has a manual you can download.
I see the Perkins M80T has the 4500 RPM? I googled some images of one and compared my survey photos and boy they look similar.
I also found an exploded diagram of your prop. Those two nuts on the left of the Prop assembly are going to become your new best friends. I really cannot see any way you can properly/cheaply adjust the prop without diving on it and adjusting those bolts. The other way is going to be adjusting the prop, get dropped in the water, sea trial then back to the travel lift to get lifted and repeat the process. I know it took about three swims before I was happy with my prop pitch.
Cheers
https://www.martec-props.com/install_Autostream.htm
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...22.1249923404/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 22:50   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

If the rev counter is taking it's signal from the output on the alternator the reading can be affected by a number of factors ither than true engine speed. Belt slippage for instance.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 01:19   #6

Thanks all. Your comments are appreciated. It sounds as if first, I need to check the revs to see if the gauge is reading correctly and second adjust the prop accordingly. Does anyone have any instructions how to measure crankshaft/prop shaft revs if I buy a tachometer? (Yep, I have Googled it!). Fore and Aft - I will be in the water multiple times amongst the dolphins and sharks.

Thanks again. Andy
Old 21-09-2020, 01:31   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Just glue a piece of the refective tape on the crankshaft and point the laserdot of the rpm gun on it. Easy.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 03:31   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Andy it will be interesting to see if the gauge is wrong. When do you take possession of your yacht?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 04:19   #9

5hrs ago😀!!
Old 21-09-2020, 04:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There is an app for that! Check App Store, I found one for my iPhone that uses the phone’s flash as a strobe tachometer. Cost was under $3USD
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine