Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 15:30   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Disconnecting and removing old engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
to "goboating now"- could you elaborate why Nanni in your opinion is better than Beta.-Thanks

Side by side I found the nanni neater and seemed better built. But the differences are small
Old 21-08-2021, 19:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Looks nearly identical (except for color ) to our Beta 50. Probably same Kubota block- what HP is yours?

It’s a Kubota based 47.5hp. Cheers.
Justin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 15:47   #18

Boat: Tartan 40
Disconnecting and removing old engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_ View Post
It’s a Kubota based 47.5hp. Cheers.

Probably exactly same block- Kubota V2203 is ours. Legendary engine- in pretty much every Bobcat out there.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 16:18   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

One difference that I took when removing my Westerbeke 50: We left everything attached that could be left and hauled it out all at once.

Then we took the old motor intact to a swap meet in the bed of an old Chevy pickup I bought for that purpose for $350. So there we were at the swap meet with this motor (in the new motor's box and mounting beds) hooked up a battery and a bucket for cooling water, instruments attached, etc, and a "FOR SAIL, WATCH IT RUN NOW" sign.

We were the hit of that swap meet with that motor jumping around and smoking and shooting water and impressing the crowds and we sold it for $500 and later got rid of the truck too.
Old 22-08-2021, 18:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
One difference that I took when removing my Westerbeke 50: We left everything attached that could be left and hauled it out all at once.

Then we took the old motor intact to a swap meet in the bed of an old Chevy pickup I bought for that purpose for $350. So there we were at the swap meet with this motor (in the new motor's box and mounting beds) hooked up a battery and a bucket for cooling water, instruments attached, etc, and a "FOR SAIL, WATCH IT RUN NOW" sign.

We were the hit of that swap meet with that motor jumping around and smoking and shooting water and impressing the crowds and we sold it for $500 and later got rid of the truck too.

Love it! What did you replace the W50 with?
Old 22-08-2021, 19:43   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Love it! What did you replace the W50 with?
Well I was looking at a Yanmar 4JH, similar HP to my Westerbeke, but I was looking at the HP/Torque curves for my Westebeke which I always operated at 1800RPM which the curves said was 21HP. Then read Calder and used his formulas and came up with a requirement of 28HP. So why buy a 50 HP motor?

I bought a Yanmar 3JH, 38 HP and it has been more than sufficient and extremely reliable. Now, 28 years later, with 6800hours and 56,000 miles it is still delivering all the power we need.

BTW, the vast majority of those hours has been charging the batteries with the engine in neutral, at anchor, which has caused no problem. So kill another myth.
Old 24-08-2021, 05:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Well I was looking at a Yanmar 4JH, similar HP to my Westerbeke, but I was looking at the HP/Torque curves for my Westebeke which I always operated at 1800RPM which the curves said was 21HP. Then read Calder and used his formulas and came up with a requirement of 28HP. So why buy a 50 HP motor?

I bought a Yanmar 3JH, 38 HP and it has been more than sufficient and extremely reliable. Now, 28 years later, with 6800hours and 56,000 miles it is still delivering all the power we need.

BTW, the vast majority of those hours has been charging the batteries with the engine in neutral, at anchor, which has caused no problem. So kill another myth.

Makes sense. Easily driven hulls like yours and mine don’t need a ton of HP. I have detuned my Beta 50 by overpropping slightly so that I load it at a cruise speed that is lower RPM 1800-1900 and quiet. Where I cruise there is a lot of light wind so the ability to motor relatively quietly was a large factor

Tags
engine