Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 13:27   #16

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Difference between oil filters

Can I use Fram just for couple of hours?
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
Can I use Fram just for couple of hours?

Of course you can, many run nothing but and do so for decades.
They are not going to kill an engine, just in my opinion they aren’t very good quality, and I like and try to use high quality stuff.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:57   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A couple of different YouTube links that can explain better than I can, I’ll only add that the red anti drain back valves are silicone, not rubber, they are a better quality, it’s not just different color.

https://youtu.be/XRRgw4B7R-I
https://youtu.be/iTNJLEV8CG8
Old 15-01-2019, 01:18   #19

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Ah no,
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH8A
I take my apology back as, again, NEVER ASSUME. I assumed cagney was right but then I checked.
Use the PH8A fram as you would the pura-finer as it does have a bypass valve set at 12psi
Never assume.......I assumed that a source I have used a lot was right, without double checking. So PH8A seems to be an oil filter with a bypass valve.
I stand corrected!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 03:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

The orange can Fram filters are the only filters where I have seen multiple failures of the “anti-drain back” valve... This means no oil in the filter upon start up on engines with a horizontally mounted filter. Never seen this on their TG series or better.. I generally use OEM, WIX, Fleetguard or Donaldson.
Old 15-01-2019, 07:12   #21

Boat: Krogen 42

What was the result of a failed valve?
Old 15-01-2019, 08:05   #22

Funny I stumble on this thread when I'm looking to buy a small stock of filters.

Fram was $16/ea on Amazon, and Wix was just $9 for my engine. Picked up 6 Wix filters (will probably buy a few more later).
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 08:36   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Difference between oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
What was the result of a failed valve?

The oil drains back into the engine, so that on start the pump must first fill the filter before the engine is supplied with any oil under pressure.
Vast majority of people would never notice a failed anti drain back valve, I’m a little surprised he did, assumption is when changing the oil he noticed the filter not being full when he unscrewed it.
I change oil immediately after shut down myself, and unscrew the filter when the oil is being sucked out, because when you unscrew the filter, some drains into the pan so I want that sucked out too.
Unless it was a serious failure, likely I’d never notice a failure as the filter would likely still be full, and I assume most failures result in a slow drain back.

I have never seen one fail myself, or more likely, haven’t noticed.

However for the last several decades I only use quality filters that have silicone anti-drain back valves, silicone is much more pliable and I have always assumed it would seal better because of that.
Old 15-01-2019, 09:16   #24

Boat: Morgan OI 37

I worked for Fram in the 80s and had an opportunity to visit the filter plant. There I saw cans coming down the line and then redirected to multiple paint lines to be branded Delco MorPar etc.

The perkins 4-108 manual requires a filter with an anti-drainback valve.
Fram model PH2821A is specified
I use the equivalent Wix because of the price and change frequently.
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:18   #25

Boat: Morgan, Out Island. 41

8 years ago I switched all my filters to Napa Gold for the main engine and generator.
I also use Napa for all my fuel filters including the water separator. Reason being they are high quality and easy to get.
SVLastTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:27   #26

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks. Good to know.

Most of us change our filters far more often than they would be on a motor vehicle — how does this affect the equation A64?

Anyway, my question is that since the hours run on these filters is way lower than most automobiles, does filter quality really matter that much?
Say you change your vehicle oil every 3000 miles, if you average 50 mph that is 60 hours on the oil and filter. if you change it at 5000 hours that is 100 hours on your oil and filter.

My diesel truck recommends a change at 8000 miles (but it holds 13 qts) which at 50 mph average would be 160 hours.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 10:04   #27

wixfilters.com has lots of information on just about any filter on any piece of equipment you can imagine. The also have a accessory catalog with filter mounting blocks and other support items, so a filter can be added to your boat. Their website is not really novice friendly but those of us who can navigate a vessel can certainly navigate a website.
Good luck with your next voyage.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 11:28   #28

Boat: GibSea 472

Me too, I run rarely more than 50 hours per season, and I used to repolace the Volvo filter and oil change time in fall, before storing the boat. But not any more. I still change my oil religiously each fall, althouh my manual recommand 250 hours interval. But the filter are after all just a trap for dirt and particules, and as long as it is not clogued, there is no reason to replace it. So I replace the filter every 200 hours of runing, and my engine do not complain about this. However all filter are not made equal. Look at this evaluation...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:04   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I give Fram a thorough round of applause for putting that nifty black grippy stuff on the end of their filters. Come on guys, give credit where it is due!

For many years a long-term machinist and shop owner used Fram and sold me on it. Years later I saw specs on how well it filters....call it "commodity grade" and it meets the various OEM manufacturer's specs for the engines they list it with.

So I wouldn't out it down, especially given a good reputation (they don't just collapse or blow up) at a reasonable price. Can you do better? For sure! Fram is one of the many that filter something like "down to 10 microns" but it isn't one of the few that will state "filters 98% of all particles down to 2 microns". Which is what some gasoline engine filters actually claim, in writing.

When in doubt, ask a filter maker directly about how and what it filters and whether it is OEM compatible in all ways. And keep something, even if it is a Fram, on the shelf "just in case".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 12:20   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I had some trouble with the anti-drainback valves on filters for my 4108, but they were not Fram. The delay in getting oil pressure on startup made me seek out higher quality filters.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, oil, oil filter