Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 21:21   #1

Boat: Nantucket Clipper 31ft (1979)
Diesel Tank Configuration (Sublevel Tank no.2)

Mates,

Hope you can give me a good tip for a tank configuration Ive been battling with for a year now. Just spent the last 3 days tank cleaning as saltwater in a cabin flooding entered the tank.

I need to figure out what kind of pump to use to pull diesel from my lower tank into my higher.

At least through experience this seems the best option. Let me give the details.

---
Fresh new boatowner I bought my 31 ft wellbuilt clipper last year. The previous owner installed a new Yanmar 2GM20. He fitted an additional 12 Gallon plastic tank above the engine mount in addition to the build in steel tank (10 gallon) below the engine mount.

He also set up a splitter for each tank in front of the standard first filter. These gave me lots of trouble as the switch between the two tanks brought air into the system when starting from the upper tank and changing to the lower.

Hence I worked out a new configuration, hooking the old tank as primary to the filter. And the new to the old tank with a simple valve.
The problem though with this ofcourse is its too difficult to suck the diesel through the system with no gravity pressure when air has entered the whole system. Even pumps as help getting the diesel to the diaphrame (and checking airtightness in the system doesnt help).

Alas, I figure the best is simply to direct connect the new upper tank to first filter. Then suck up the diesel from the old lower tank with a manual or automatic pump.

Any recommendations for a cheap, reliable pump variant? And what to consider in this installation?

latest configuration:

Old configurations

Old 14-04-2011, 08:55   #2
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World
Re: Diesel Tank configuration (sublevel tank no.2)

Greetings,

I see no fuel return to the new 12 gallon tank, not important at this time, but required.

To pump "on the cheap" try a primer ball and fuel hose used on outboards. Pump from the existing old tank to the new plastic tank. Slow but cheap and also handy for transferringfuel from 'jerry cans' to main tank while underway and without spilling.

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 13:57   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Diesel Tank Configuration (Sublevel Tank no.2)

I have a used Walbro Diesel Fuel Pump/////works////price is right
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel