Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:12   #16

Re: Can you get pressure in oil tank?

Thanks y'all. Sounds like I am probably going to need to add injector pump rebuild and checking of lift pump in addition to these three injectors we are having rebuilt. One week in and I have already spent 5x + more on this engine than I did in the last 9 years of our last much older engine (just bought the boat a week ago). Good times!

The crazy thing is a mechanic looked at this pre-close and fixed something else that was supposed to be the culprit. Lesson is that you never know what you get when buying a boat - engine survey or not. Oh well...
cheslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15   #17

I don't know what motor you have & therefore I don't know if oil coming out of the dipstick means that the pan is totally full or if it just means that the crank case is under pressure. If the crank case is under pressure, that is usually either blow by or a plugged breather. Blow by can come from rings, valve guides, head gaskets, etc. On engines with timed breathers, it can be a timing problem.

You say that you have coolant coming out of the top too. Is that coolant clean? or is there oil in it?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

once this is fixed you should be able to run for many hundreds of hours..just make sure you perform routine maintenance and engine should be happy. make sure fuel delivery system is good-will last a long time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:28   #19

2003 30b theee engine with about 330 hrs on it and the coolant looked clean - just water and antifreeze. I pulled oul lid off top (where you fill oil) and it did not relieve the pressure. I actually saw oil on the gears on there like it was very full. That seemed weird to me from my dealings with my old Yanmar but not sure about this engine...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:43   #20

Clean coolant bubbling out the top...
It is normal for the coolant to expand a little when the engine gets hot & that is what expansion tanks are for. If you are getting more out than an expansion tank can handle & the coolant is clean, I would then look for a pressure leak to a high spot in the cooling system. Head gaskets are probably the most common source of this problem. Cracked heads & blocks can also do it. These same types of pressure leaks can also send pressure to the crank case. The oil passages & coolant passages in most motors run pretty close together. A single gasket leak or crack can affect both areas at the same time. These are just general comments. I don't know your specific engine.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:39   #21

Regarding coolant, That expansion tank is only about half full and right below the add coolant mark??? Maybe I need to check the line between that and the radiator...
Old 06-10-2013, 16:02   #22

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Sailorchic just finished doing a Yanmar rebuild on her boat.

"I was bored so pulled the head on my Yanmar" is the thread chronicling her project. I am inclined to think her advice is worth quite a bit more than most.
Old 06-10-2013, 16:18   #23

cpt eric ..i am here in barra de navidad in process of reinstalling a rebuilt injector pump and rebuilt lift pump after suffering runaway diesel due to injector pump fail. this nice young mans symptoms mimicked mine , and he also has a perkins/westerbeke engine, so i told him what i have been finding.
i spoze that isnt good enough, however, as i didnt write it up not paint it pink and purple. i am actually painting mine many colors and specialty artwork will be added
i will post it. mebbe you will hear me then.
what beni did is different than what this man needs to do , as the problem is different. she rocks...
Old 06-10-2013, 16:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

With that few hrs. on the engine I doubt that it is the HP (injector) pump. It is possible but not a place where I would start.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 16:37   #25

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
No offense intended Zee.
I have been an Occam's Razor trouble shooter many years.

Best wishes.
Eric
Old 06-10-2013, 16:53   #26
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

hello.
i am a real diesel mechanic.
lots of opinions here.
not all are bad.

i notice your symptoms list included sheen on the water.
was this prior to new injectors or after?

if your oil sump is full, and is not diarrhea looking, then it is diesel.
drain it at once, and congrats, your engine is sparkly clean inside.
i would like a sump fill rate.
change the oil start the engine, top it off to the correct level, run the engine 15 min at idle, allow to sit for 10min, check again
did the level go up a noticeable level? if yes, then its the injection pump.
if no, it may be injectors. injector pumps are cheep to rebuild here in America.
look for rebuild shops, i have seen some as cheep as $400 for a 6 cylinder tractor engine. any good rebuild shop can repair/rebuild any injection pump.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 16:58   #27

Thanks, Scoobert. I will need to go down next weekend and change the oil and check that rate of oil rise.

Sheen was on water both prior and after new injectors. Mechanic said I needed to run to burn the old fuel that could have glazed the cylinders with the older injectors. Ran for 4 hours, found water in the racor bowl, so stopped to clean fuel. Then found all this excess oil that sounds very likely to be diesel.
Old 06-10-2013, 17:02   #28
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

how long did the sheen continue? if it is constant, it is not "burning off". If constant, it could be many more things. times like this, i like my hands on the engine. how old is the fuel? do you have a way to polish it? i would if you have that much water.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 17:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
No offense intended Zee.
I have been an Occam's Razor trouble shooter many years.

Best wishes.
Eric
does not guarantee 100percent accuracy.
i am dealing with this exact problem now and i did exactly what i said i did. it worked. lol
Old 06-10-2013, 17:27   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

One other off hand thought is to check your crankcase breather. Could be its clogged.

If your making oil, check your lift pump for a leak first. Its more common for the lift pump to get a tear in the diaphragm. Though a leaking seal in an injector pump would do the same.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil