Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 14:51   #1

Boat: C&C 30 Mk I
Bukh DV10 parts? Underpowered?

Hi All:

I just inspected a used 30-foot sailboat today, owned by a widow who didn't know what engine it had. It turned out to have a Bukh DV10. (Pic below.) The engine is labelled DV10 / DV20, but I subsequently located some paperwork from an old survey that lists it as the DV10.

I would have assumed that I'd want to immediately repower something that old, but the engine sure looks in great shape (and indeed, although the PO passed two years ago, the boat has been stored indoors and presents well). I've googled the engine and know the basics of it, and that there seems to be a consensus that though it's quite an old model, it's a solid reliable engine. Thus, in making decisions about whether the boat would likely need an immediate repower, I have two first questions:

a) I've seen internet discussions characterize parts for the Bukh DV10 as "available but expensive." But the most recent thread in that regard that I found is several years old. Is this still the case?

b) The DV10 is only ten horsepower, alas. It's a 7500 lb displacement thirty-footer. Even if it turns out that the engine is still in the pink, I'm worried that 10 hp is underpowered. As a person with designs on heading south down the intracoastal waterway sometime, I'm more engine-conscious than most sailboaters.

As a complicator, the boat is half buried in a warehouse, it's mostly apart, and the deal being offered is 'as is.' All the widow knows is that the engine was working fine before her husband winterized it two years ago and then passed.

So, what do you think? Should I give this old soldier of an engine a try next summer, or make the Visa bleed this winter for a repowering?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bukh.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	227675  
Buddy_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:02   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37
Re: Bukh DV10 parts? Underpowered?

My previous boat had a Bukh DV10 and displacement of 9800lbs. I used it for over 20 years. I could motor at 4.75 to 5.5 knots in all but the strongest head winds. For 1 cylinder it really idled smooth.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 16:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

My uncle had a DV20 which is basically 2 DV10's & it was a very reliable long lasting engine. Yes parts are horrendously priced but you may not need any for a long time.
They are a very heavy engine for the hp compared to a Kubota or Yanmar.
If it has good compression & no obvious issues I'd give it a go. Don't know about parts availablity sorry.
You can survive with a 10hp on that size boat but a 16-20hp would be better if you intend to do more motoring than sailing especially against strong winds or currents.
Magicmoments seemed to find it ok so worth a try unless you reqire a sustained 6+ knts
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 17:07   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Buddy_Y I would give it a go. Our first 30 foot yacht had a Bukh DV10 that had spent 5 days underwater. We flushed the engine out, got an alternator from the auto wreckers and we hand started that Bukh until I could afford to get the starter motor fixed. I had that engine for two years and it never missed a beat.
As for being under powered we cruised New Zealand and never noticed a lack of power.
Cheers
Drew
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 23:34   #5

I do not know the engine but can comment on horsepower. Heavy *thumper" diesel engines have relatively high torque curves. Means they can be fitted with a larger prop run at lower rpm. The usable power is decent, especially compared with a 9.9 hp outboard that will only whip up water without much push for a boat this size.

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 09:59   #6

Bukh engines power 25% of all commercial lifeboats on the planet. Once you sort it out they just run. I have a 16,000 pound Swan with a DV20. There is no issuer with power or performance. I’ve had my DV for 18 years. Get yours running and try it. I believe you will be very happy.
As for parts, go to LSM Diesel in Denmark. Talk to Eric the owner. He speaks perfect English and knows each and every part of every Bukh engine. They have a website although I usually call and talk to him directly. I don’t find the cost of parts excessive at all. LSM ships DHL so you have any part in two days.
LSM is the factory parts distributor and has been for around 55 years.
I tried buying parts in the USA and Canada. That didn’t work out for me at all. No inventory and higher prices than direct from Denmark.
I have no affiliation with LSM but when I needed parts (because of a lack of maintenance by the PO of my boat) LSM solved my needs with ease.
Good Luck.
Peter
PLeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 10:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I’d expect that the Bukh DV10 is undersized, for a 30 Ft boat.
I'll admit, though, that I fall into the "HP is your friend" camp.

The BUKH DV10 is a single cylinder engine, rated only 10HP @ 3000 RPM
https://bukh.dk/upload_dir/docs/FAQ/...%2020%20ME.pdf
http://www.marinesurveyorontario.com/BukhDV10L.pdf

FWIW:
An oft-quoted rough Rule of thumb for determining Horsepower Required for a Sailboat:
One horsepower per 500 pounds ( ± 50lbs ) loaded.
Westerbeke Corporation suggests 2 hp for every 1,000 lb of displacement for coastal cruising, and 2.5 hp per 1,000 lb of displacement for offshore.
In their book "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction", the authors suggest a good rule-of-thumb is 1 hp for every 500 lb of displacement.
Some people suggest 1 hp for every ft. of boat waterline length.
Some people suggest 3 - 5 hp (continuous rating) per long ton (to calculate the boat's weight in long tons divide the displacement by 2,240).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:09   #8

You just brought back memories. When I was 15 (50 years ago,) my dad built a 15 m ketch and it had a 100HP Bukh. The engine could be started and was equipped to start electrically, with compressed air and with a small cartridge of explosive... Never had any issue with the engine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 055n.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	227741  
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 12:38   #9

Boat: 29 ft

It will run without any electricity
It can be hand started
It is on the small side for extended motoring (small meaning a bit slow) but ok for getting you in and out of a harbour and also for making a bit slow way under engine.

So, a boat at that size with such an engine is more of a sailboat with auxiliary and less of a motorsailer. Ok, if your focus is on sailing, even in light winds but not ideal if your focus is speedy passage making independent of wind and weather.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 15:50   #10

Thanks everyone! I've screwed up my courage to give it a try. The owner just accepted my offer, so I've got my winter project ahead of me.

I'll see if I can resuscitate the Bukh for use this summer, then make a decision next winter as to whether I want a repower. (Assuming that I can get the Bukh working at all. If I can't, then the Visa bleeds sooner rather than later.)
Old 27-11-2020, 18:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Y View Post
Thanks everyone! I've screwed up my courage to give it a try. The owner just accepted my offer, so I've got my winter project ahead of me.

I'll see if I can resuscitate the Bukh for use this summer, then make a decision next winter as to whether I want a repower. (Assuming that I can get the Bukh working at all. If I can't, then the Visa bleeds sooner rather than later.)

Good choice to give it a shot I reckon, they are pretty bulletproof AFAIK.
My Sf ladyfriends Cal 29 with a 10hp farymann diesel didnt seem too bad powerwise but I didnt use it in harsh conditions

Post back how you get on please.
Old 27-11-2020, 18:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’d expect that the Bukh DV10 is undersized, for a 30 Ft boat.
I'll admit, though, that I fall into the "HP is your friend" camp.

The BUKH DV10 is a single cylinder engine, rated only 10HP @ 3000 RPM
https://bukh.dk/upload_dir/docs/FAQ/...%2020%20ME.pdf
http://www.marinesurveyorontario.com/BukhDV10L.pdf

FWIW:
An oft-quoted rough Rule of thumb for determining Horsepower Required for a Sailboat:
One horsepower per 500 pounds ( ± 50lbs ) loaded.
Westerbeke Corporation suggests 2 hp for every 1,000 lb of displacement for coastal cruising, and 2.5 hp per 1,000 lb of displacement for offshore.
In their book "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction", the authors suggest a good rule-of-thumb is 1 hp for every 500 lb of displacement.
Some people suggest 1 hp for every ft. of boat waterline length.
Some people suggest 3 - 5 hp (continuous rating) per long ton (to calculate the boat's weight in long tons divide the displacement by 2,240).
Indeed, I found that formula and applied it to this boat--and that was one reason that I originally assumed that I would need to repower it straightaway. And I'm still nervous because I am either going to keep it in Port Stanley Ontario (and Lake Erie can kick up) or Sarnia, where the St Clair River's currents will be a factor. (I'll be starting a different thread in another forum to ask some opinions about the two locations.) On the positive side, the boat has a big beefy three-blade prop.
Old 27-11-2020, 19:05   #13
Marine Service Provider

When it kicks up too bad in our underpowered 26ft yacht ( sailboat) we motorsail with a storm jib or a lot rolled up on the headsail. You have to tack your way home but can get to windward in 30 knts solid, gusting to 45 but pretty slowly. We have a 7hp continuous rated engine but as we are overpropped we can only get 5 hp out of it.
A marina neighbour with a sistership powered by a 20hp 3 cylinder kubota reckons he can do 7 knts into quite strong wind but I didnt get an exact figure.
We only do 4.5 knts in fairly flat water but if it was propped correctly I guess it would do 5.5 knts at least. It's an easily driven hull tho & sails at 6 knts.
I'd expect your 30 footer powered by a 10hp to do 6+ knts easy with a fixed 3 blade prop in flat water if the hull form is ok.
Good luck getting it resuscitated.
Old 29-11-2020, 17:55   #14

Boat: Dix 43 HD

I have a Bukh 20 powering a 32 ft Hartley ferro that is approx. twice as heavy as what your are purchasing - circa 7500kg
Installed 1974 - maintenance history prior to my purchase 7 years ago is unknown
We have done a bit of work to it -impellor, injector pump, alternator but it runs fine, always fires up when I turn the key
I am sure newer motors perform better but sails are the primary motive power after all

Bukh are a reliable robust power unit, plenty of parts available and actually not that over priced and you should definitely try before you decide to replace - it looks in good order for its age.
If you do swap it out you should find a buyer without any problem

although I wouid throw a new impellor at it before cranking the handle - or pushing the button

have fun
Wayne
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2023, 06:32   #15

I’m in the process of fully rebuilding my 1978 Bukh DV10E as it was down on power. And used to be great powering along my compass 29
I purchased all of the components for a FULL rebuild from Dev precision engineering in India
Valves, guides, springs , valve seats, cylinder liners, piston and rings, big and little end shells, complete gasket set . EVERYTHING And A$800 delivered for all the components
I got a complete workshop manual free online and its not a complicated engine,
I’ve Put the block and head in an acid bath for 4 days and it fully stripped all of the gunk out and cleaned it ready for the rebuild and re paint
Purchased all new hoses locally
Put the thermostat in vinegar for 3 hours and it’s come up as new
Once done it will give the original power back and be like a new engine.
I made a lifting frame to remove and replace the engine to make it easier - works a dream with a 4 x pulley set
A good reliable engine.
Llamed0s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bukh, parts