Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2013, 15:24   #16

Boat: Sirius 28
Re: Binnacle Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Yes, but how??

The little hammer or the big one?
Started with the little hammer, screw driver and sharp blade. Gradually went around the circumference of the plate lifting up the edge until I could get some purchase on the plate. The plate got a little bent, but overall, it wasn't too difficult once I understood there was nothing holding the plate on but corrosion/rust.
twomikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 16:58   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomikes View Post
Started with the little hammer, screw driver and sharp blade. Gradually went around the circumference of the plate lifting up the edge until I could get some purchase on the plate. The plate got a little bent, but overall, it wasn't too difficult once I understood there was nothing holding the plate on but corrosion/rust.
Old 26-10-2013, 17:45   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Sorry, I just came upon this thread. Good job. If the bolts will not break free, you can replace the entire lower collar. Rotate the levers up so you can release the cables, then release the interior cable lever arms with a slotted screwdriver, though you may need to remove the entire collar to do so. Again, it's all about persuasion and the power of aluminum to stainless corrosion. When you get the collar removed, with the two handles, you will see there's a slotted screw fixing them to the control handle shaft. It may take a bit of penetrating oil and "persuasion". Remove the entire control shaft, grease it up well (and exercise it to make sure it's completely loose). I just did one of these last week on a Cape Dory 28 from 1989. At first I thought it was a cable problem that made shifting gears and throttle so difficult. It was merely corrosion. So, grease everything! The four studs should break free, though you may have to talk to them and use some vise grips in the area where the collar lies, so you don't damage any needed threads. While it's out, consider replacing the compass light wiring
harness, and installing led lights, if it has old incandescents.

P.S.: You can replace the plate with a piece of white StarBoard or acrylic plastic. The compass just screws into this plate.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 19:18   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I just noticed that Edson recommends replacing the chain and cable every 5(?) yrs. You would probably be well advised to do this while you have everything apart. It probably has never been done, and how old is the boat?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 09:40   #20

Boat: Sirius 28

The boat was built in 1984 and I am quickly learning the previous owner invested very little into the boat.
Thanks for all the info and recommendations as I want to do this the right way and avoid problems in the future.

Here's a question regarding the throttle lever. The engine is at idle when the throttle is pushed all the way forward and to accelerate, pull the throttle back. This is backwards compared to other boats I've driven. Is this normal for the Yanmar 1GM, and can/how do I change this?
twomikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 15:25   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Follow the cable from the binnacle to the throttle lever on the engine, itself. At this point you will notice that there is a possibility of mounting the cable from the opposite direction IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SLACK in the cable length. Dismount the cable from the throttle and bring from the reverse direction, mounting it to the engine at the cable sheath end, and the moving part of the cable on the actual throttle lever. You may need some additional small parts to anchor the cable end. I find this on a lot of boats.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote