Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2017, 07:56   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Are some damper plates more reliable than others?

The graph is not that clear. About 150 ft lbs at about 1,800
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:34   #17

Actually your correct the max torque value is @ 1800 RPM where the 4236 develops a staggering 210.1 lbs/ft @72 BHP, way better than the 157.6 @ 84 BHP @2800.

Good example of what a lot of people dont understand and that is as RPM go up past a point the torque value drops

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 16:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Back when I raced motorcycles it was drummed into my head that engines make torque. Torque was the rotational force at the shaft at any given moment. Horsepower was a derived figure (of work). In the racing scene torque tells you how quickly you can go faster and HP tells you how fast you can (eventually) go.

Also HP is the product of torque times rpm (toss in a conversion factor).

The formula is (hp x rpm)/5252 = torque or (torque x 5252)/rpm = hp

Here is the graph for the 4.236.

PS I also have a 4.236 and need to change out my damper plate. I've had a spring get stuck and was able to pull the starter and dislodge the spring through the hole.

I'm following this thread with real interest....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perkinspowercurve.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	154551  
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 16:12   #19

Boat: Coast 30

Hello, Looking in again to try and be helpful. I just got off the telephone with Mrs. Barbara Mark at Nextwave Marine systems Inc and she has informed me that they do in fact supply their proprietary 'Sure drive' product for your Perkins 4.236 diesel engines. However I have been advised that Perkins machined their flywheels in different configurations. So when you inquire please supply detailed information on this to ascertain the correct fit..

My involvement with Nextwave has been in regard to Volvo 2000 series spline failures. I have the prototype. Apparently a production model has been tested for several hours in Germany with excellent results.

Not looking to hijack this threadbut IF your a Volvo owner and your shaft has been Hexed, They can probably still help you.

In the past 'Suredrives' have been more usually fitted to commercial craft such as tug boats, Seine fishing boats. and Commercial Charter Vessels. But with the demand for reliability on pleasure craft; Using the exact same polymer blocks. Smaller versions of the commercial vessel equipment are being made and even fitted into the Narrow boats on the English inland waterway canal system.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 20:25   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Hello, Looking in again to try and be helpful. I just got off the telephone with Mrs. Barbara Mark at Nextwave Marine systems Inc and she has informed me that they do in fact supply their proprietary 'Sure drive' product for your Perkins 4.236 diesel engines. However I have been advised that Perkins machined their flywheels in different configurations. So when you inquire please supply detailed information on this to ascertain the correct fit..

My involvement with Nextwave has been in regard to Volvo 2000 series spline failures. I have the prototype. Apparently a production model has been tested for several hours in Germany with excellent results.

Not looking to hijack this threadbut IF your a Volvo owner and your shaft has been Hexed, They can probably still help you.

In the past 'Suredrives' have been more usually fitted to commercial craft such as tug boats, Seine fishing boats. and Commercial Charter Vessels. But with the demand for reliability on pleasure craft; Using the exact same polymer blocks. Smaller versions of the commercial vessel equipment are being made and even fitted into the Narrow boats on the English inland waterway canal system.
Well the SureDrive looks like an excellent product, but....
....$950.00???
It is not exactly an affordable component. I think the price is a bit extreme for what the product actually entails. I don't see this in my budget, the old one lasted at least 20 years old (last time engine / trans were apart).
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 02:54   #21

Boat: Coast 30

Rowglide

In rebuttal I say that I am not a sales person for the company merely a customer. There are 67 tidal Bores in the world and a disproportionate number of those are in western Canada. We have Narrows that can only be passed through at certain states of the tide,

IF your engine ceases to drive the propeller, your vessel may become smashed and sunk. When you are drowning coming up for the third time, what did a meager $950 matter? You can not take it with you.

Despite some reported failures here. Perhaps what ever they put in a Perkins might be a bit more reliable than the commonly known failure in a Volvo 2000 series. So My requirement, thus motivation for owning a Suredrive could be slightly more necessary than yours. However the smoother, quieter, fail safe operation should be worthy of consideration?.

I asked for a spare set of polymer drive blocks and was told I would never need them. Apparently mine can be rebuilt for under $15. CDN

So Much for the many differing opinions of boat owners, You asked
Are some damper plates more reliable than others? So IMHO there you have the information. .
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 03:54   #22

Boat: Hans Christian 43

[QUOTE=coastalexplorer;2462282]Rowglide

In rebuttal I say that I am not a sales person for the company merely a customer. There are 67 tidal Bores in the world and a disproportionate number of those are in western Canada. We have Narrows that can only be passed through at certain states of the tide,

IF your engine ceases to drive the propeller, your vessel may become smashed and sunk. When you are drowning coming up for the third time, what did a meager $950 matter? You can not take it with you.

WOW!!! I love the part about coming up for the third time. Have you thought about a career as a screenwriter?
Think about all the ways your engine might cease to drive that prop... fuel lift pump failure, internal transmission failure, engine overheat, prop jammed with fishing line / netting, air leak in the fuel system, head gasket failure... I may never leave the dock again.

What I am saying is $950 (which is NOT "meager") is an awful lot of money for what the part actually is. There are other "fail safe" designs that are less than half that price. And no I can't take it with me, but until I get there I'd like to spend it wisely.
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 05:27   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

What exactly happens mechanically when a damper plate fails while motoring?
I ask because two days ago I had a transmision actually detach from the bell housing and pull away from the flywheel, the trans spline came out completely. Heard a big wheeee sound then no drive. Its now waiting for repair. Could a damper plate failure cause the torgue to break all mounting bolts holding the trans to the housing? Engine is a 55B Westerbeke and a Z 15 (I think) trans. The damper plate had only about 500 hours on it since install. It hasn't been inspected yet as its not yet apart.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 06:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i would second any reccomendation for R and D couplings ,dampers etc
i had a damper plate issue in tanzania,R+d had it on the next plane,with DHL it arrived 3 days later from the uk,and cost was aprox $200 plus freight
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote