Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 20:23   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Are some damper plates more reliable than others?

I am currently having my 4.236 remanufactured and same goes for the Velvet drive. I'd be a fool if I did nothing about the plate that joins the two.
are there "better" plates or are they all equally reliable.
I don't think I am interested in the R&D ones, just conventional spring plate. The entire engine has to come out to gain access to the transmission so what I install MUST be the absolute best quality.

Also, damper plates seem to be rated on Torque not HP. Anybody know the torque figures for the 4.236? I believe mine is supposed to be 85hp (according to original build sheet for boat).

Thanks
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 21:08   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Are some damper plates more reliable than others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
I am currently having my 4.236 remanufactured and same goes for the Velvet drive. I'd be a fool if I did nothing about the plate that joins the two.
are there "better" plates or are they all equally reliable.
I don't think I am interested in the R&D ones, just conventional spring plate. The entire engine has to come out to gain access to the transmission so what I install MUST be the absolute best quality.

Also, damper plates seem to be rated on Torque not HP. Anybody know the torque figures for the 4.236? I believe mine is supposed to be 85hp (according to original build sheet for boat).

Thanks
Switched to R&D type 20yrs ago, won't go back to the 1940's spring type
Old 18-08-2017, 21:20   #3

R & D have a great reputation = no springs!- these typically out last spring type by many years

You can fill in there on line selection tool here: R and D MARINE : Flexible Shaft Couplings

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 21:29   #4

Forgot your other question, Perkins 4326 develop 84 Hp @ 2800 RPM which delivers you the torgue rating of 157.6 ft/lbs

Cheers Steve
Old 19-08-2017, 13:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Switched to R&D type 20yrs ago, won't go back to the 1940's spring type
I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in other experiences with R&D (or other spring-alternative) damper plates.

During a summer cruise two years ago, I had two springs break in my OEM damper plate (40 y.o. Fiskar Pisces/Isuzu 2AB1-Velvet Drive). As bits of spring lodged between the flywheel and its housing, the engine seized and stopped whenever engaged, and I was obliged to sail some 30 miles to the nearest marina for repairs.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly source a replacement plate at an Isuzu distributor, but there was no choice in the matter. The replacement plate was a Sachs, manufactured in Brazil, identical in appearance to the OEM plate. I have no idea as to its comparative quality; simply grateful to be able to get back on the water in a reasonable time. I did see the R&D product on-line, but it would have taken a month to source the appropriate replacement, so I went with the Sachs.

Frankly, if the replacement lasts 40 years like the OEM plate, it is unlikely that I'll be replacing it next time. Nevertheless, I'm intrigued by the R&D alternative product and would like to hear of others experience with it, or similar plates; in particular the performance at low RPM where the spring damper place exhibits considerable noise and rattles.
Tugwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 14:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugwit View Post
I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I'd be interested in other experiences with R&D (or other spring-alternative) damper plates.

During a summer cruise two years ago, I had two springs break in my OEM damper plate (40 y.o. Fiskar Pisces/Isuzu 2AB1-Velvet Drive). As bits of spring lodged between the flywheel and its housing, the engine seized and stopped whenever engaged, and I was obliged to sail some 30 miles to the nearest marina for repairs.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly source a replacement plate at an Isuzu distributor, but there was no choice in the matter. The replacement plate was a Sachs, manufactured in Brazil, identical in appearance to the OEM plate. I have no idea as to its comparative quality; simply grateful to be able to get back on the water in a reasonable time. I did see the R&D product on-line, but it would have taken a month to source the appropriate replacement, so I went with the Sachs.

Frankly, if the replacement lasts 40 years like the OEM plate, it is unlikely that I'll be replacing it next time. Nevertheless, I'm intrigued by the R&D alternative product and would like to hear of others experience with it, or similar plates; in particular the performance at low RPM where the spring damper place exhibits considerable noise and rattles.
Absolutely no noise at low RPM, quieter, smoother shifts
Old 20-08-2017, 07:11   #7

Boat: Cal-40

I had drive plate problems too and I went for Shure Drive system out of Canada. It's basically a clone of the long proven Twin Disk dive plate. It's very common on commercial fishing boats in Alaska where I'm from. No springs, no moving parts to fail.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:09   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

When my original damper plate went south 4 years ago on one of my 4.236 Perkins I was surprised and a bit dismayed at what I found when I took the transmission off to check the damper plate. The plate was held on to the flywheel by a bunch of small machine screws, many had unscrewed and fallen off. The last hold outs got sheared off. The springs were half broken and some of the plate was falling apart. I decided that I wanted something more sturdy so I opted for an R&D with the heavy plate and the rubber shock absorption. I redid both engines with these and was very much impressed with the quality and sturdiness of the design. No rattles and even if the absorption material were to fail, the plate would still maintain drive, due to the heavy pins connecting the plate to the hub. I used heavier Grade 8 bolts with wire through heads. They will not become undone.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
I had drive plate problems too and I went for Shure Drive system out of Canada. It's basically a clone of the long proven Twin Disk dive plate. It's very common on commercial fishing boats in Alaska where I'm from. No springs, no moving parts to fail.
Do you have any info on the "Shure Drive" Plates? website maybe? I can't find any info on them though I have seen them referenced a few times
Old 20-08-2017, 09:12   #10

Here you go NextWave Marine Systems Inc.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:17   #11

Got it, suredrive, not shure-drive
Thanks
More research...
Old 21-08-2017, 04:21   #12

Boat: Coast 30

Hello.

One more referral to Sure Drive.

Barbara Mark
NextWave Marine Systems Inc.,
5-3125 Van Horne Road,
Qualicum Beach, BC.
Canada V9K2R3
Tel: 250 752 1790
Fax: 250 752 2791
bmark@suredrivemarine.com

Plus IF you happen to have a 2000 series Volvo here is your answer.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 04:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Forgot your other question, Perkins 4326 develop 84 Hp @ 2800 RPM which delivers you the torgue rating of 157.6 ft/lbs

Cheers Steve
Thanks Steve,
is that torque at 2800? I want to find out my max torque value and what rpm it is produced at.
Old 21-08-2017, 07:26   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowglide View Post
Thanks Steve,
is that torque at 2800? I want to find out my max torque value and what rpm it is produced at.
Max torque is developed at 1,800 RPM
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
Max torque is developed at 1,800 RPM
Thanks
Can you tell me what the ft-lbs are at 1800?