Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 03:22   #1

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Alylate Gasoline

In another thread a poster mentioned putting left over gasoline in the diesel tank. We used to do something like that for a long time: Since gasoline goes bad after a few months we would empty the outboard tanks in to our cars at the end of the season. The cars were of course diesel cars.
I now realise we shouldn't have done that.

We stopped this last season anyway, as we switched to alkylate gasoline for the outboard. This is sold over here under the "Aspen" brand, and is claimed to have some advantages. Amongst other things it supposedly gives lower emissions which is why it's now compulsory for use in portable equipment like leaf blowers and hedge trimmers in many places. So you can get it at a lokal gardening supplies store.
But it also easily keeps well for years, so now we do't have to get rid of left over gasoline at the end of the season. We just continue using it. And the motor appears to run better, and looked like it wouldn't even need any servicing over the winter.

Anybody else here using alkylate gasoline in their outboards? I'd be interesting to hear other people's experience.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 04:35   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Alylate Gasoline

I haven't tried it in an outboard, but in the user manual of a chainsaw I recently bought, I noticed this bit of advice:

"Do not use ready-to-use alkylate petrol. These types of fuel are different in composition and not compatible with our machines and can result in early damage of the engine and/or carburetor."

For whatever that's worth. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:57   #3

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Alylate Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I haven't tried it in an outboard, but in the user manual of a chainsaw I recently bought, I noticed this bit of advice:

"Do not use ready-to-use alkylate petrol. These types of fuel are different in composition and not compatible with our machines and can result in early damage of the engine and/or carburetor."
That is odd, as in most of Europe healt & safety workplace rules now mandate alkylate petrol. That's why its now also widely available. I cannot imagine a manufacturer voluntarily leaving the market for professional equipment.

Personally our short term experience has been positive. I wonder if anybody has longer term experience with this however.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote