Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 14:23   #91

Re: Algae-X Magnet and Fuel Filter- anyone familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
I'm particularly interested in knowing how a NON-POLAR fuel such as diesel can be "aligned".
These systems use the
laws of physics to counteract polymerization—
the natural attraction and bonding of fuel
molecules, which causes organic matter to form
compounds that keep increasing in size and
mass. The magnetic treatment device, which
installs in the fuel line between the tank and the
primary filter, creates a strong induced magnetic
field that breaks up the clumps and solids as
the fuel passes through the unit. The magnetic
conditioner disperses and returns to solution
the asphaltene clusters. The dark, cloudy fuel
is restored to a clear and bright appearance (often called “fuel polishing”)

what is amazing is no one suggested it had anything to do with killing microbes,. It has to do with aligning them and breaking up the clusters.
lots opinions that dont read before they write.
look up the big words above.
Now- I will only hint so it does not spoil the story ending- to do anything there must be an organic polarity.....
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:06   #92

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
These systems use the
laws of physics to counteract polymerization—
the natural attraction and bonding of fuel
molecules, which causes organic matter to form
compounds that keep increasing in size and
mass. The magnetic treatment device, which
installs in the fuel line between the tank and the
primary filter, creates a strong induced magnetic
field that breaks up the clumps and solids as
the fuel passes through the unit. The magnetic
conditioner disperses and returns to solution
the asphaltene clusters. The dark, cloudy fuel
is restored to a clear and bright appearance (often called “fuel polishing”)

what is amazing is no one suggested it had anything to do with killing microbes,. It has to do with aligning them and breaking up the clusters.
lots opinions that dont read before they write.
look up the big words above.
Now- I will only hint so it does not spoil the story ending- to do anything there must be an organic polarity.....
Nonsense. Why perpetuate this misleading rhetoric?

"laws of physics to counteract polymerization" - what laws?

"creates a strong induced magnetic
field"
- define strong (2 gauss???) - where did that come from?

"conditioner disperses and returns to solution
the asphaltene clusters
" - please describe the chemistry.

I know this is the internet but please, lets at least try to pass the laugh test.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 15:12   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bem.20551

No effect!
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:07   #94

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
...look up the big words above...
Well, the big words above are too big for me, so I’m hoping you can provide a link to the peer reviewed scientific journal article that discusses the physics and chemistry of this device.
Old 20-08-2019, 16:08   #95

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

field"

the asphaltene clusters

I know this is the internet but please, lets at least try to pass the laugh test.
Yep, the de bug units fitted to each tank on my boat when I bought it kept the asphaltenes out of the filter very well, they filled the units and the fuel lines leading to them not allowing any of the pesky things to contaminate the nice clean filters!
After removing them and the fuel lines and replacing with a good sediment and water trap per tank all has been great for years now.
If anyone wants a pair of these wonder working, all singing and dancing marvels they are yours for the cost of postage.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 16:11   #96

Quote:

field"

the asphaltene clusters

amazing- I wanted to prove that opinions tend to be lacking intelligence. Amazing that you are quick to outburst without doing your homework.
I might suggest going to your local Regional engine manufacture page/( try catapillar, Man, Volvo, the big commercial boys, not the local marina) and looking up the answer to your question. Not a link, theory, but it must be something real if it is still sold/installed after 30 years. Try Western Branch diesel, Johnson Towers, for idea.

If everyone was negative we would still be rowing canoes.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 17:50   #97

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Alert Caterpillar in Panama the results they observed was just a hallucination.

https://diesel-debug.com/wp-content/...Generators.pdf

But to heck with Panama, get in touch with the US Navy and tell them all about your studied opinion.

https://diesel-debug.com/wp-content/...-NAVY-BOAT.pdf

To point is that when people draw emphatic opinions based on nothing empirical or personal, or even vaguely intelligent or scientific they're just being trolls. But even trolls need a hobby, so enjoy.
Old 20-08-2019, 18:14   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Alert Caterpillar in Panama the results they observed was just a hallucination.

https://diesel-debug.com/wp-content/...Generators.pdf

But to heck with Panama, get in touch with the US Navy and tell them all about your studied opinion.

https://diesel-debug.com/wp-content/...-NAVY-BOAT.pdf

To point is that when people draw emphatic opinions based on nothing empirical or personal, or even vaguely intelligent or scientific they're just being trolls. But even trolls need a hobby, so enjoy.
Strange that you find my link to a science paper published on magnets effect on multiple types of bacteria under various conditions, by scientists in a science Journal, to be less acurate than data published by the de-Bug manufacturer. There might be a troll lurking here, but it ain't me.
llap...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 18:22   #99

Quote:
amazing- I wanted to prove that opinions tend to be lacking intelligence. Amazing that you are quick to outburst without doing your homework.
I might suggest going to your local Regional engine manufacture page/( try catapillar, Man, Volvo, the big commercial boys, not the local marina) and looking up the answer to your question. Not a link, theory, but it must be something real if it is still sold/installed after 30 years. Try Western Branch diesel, Johnson Towers, for idea.

If everyone was negative we would still be rowing canoes.
You used the terms - I was curious if you know what they mean or more precisely, how meaningless these terms are.

Some people here freely string words together and in ago doing, think it sounds authoritative when in fact it demonstrates the opposite.
Old 21-08-2019, 07:10   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Strange that you find my link to a science paper published on magnets effect on multiple types of bacteria under various conditions, by scientists in a science Journal, to be less acurate than data published by the de-Bug manufacturer. There might be a troll lurking here, but it ain't me.
llap...
Yes, I see a study that shows no effect of magnetic fields and other studies that do. Given that, how reasonable is it for you to state emphatically that you know what the right answer is, other than you really, really think you know?

And just to be accurate and non-troll like, the links were from Customers actually using the device and reporting positive results, not some random person with an opinion and no experience or statements from the manufacturer. The company posting testimonials doesn't diminish what the testimonial actually says.

So can you acknowledge that there are reputable entities that have actual experience and report actual positive results, or are you still set on the idea that because you think something, it must be true and anyone who disagrees with you is like a flat earther?
Old 21-08-2019, 07:30   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Y

And just to be accurate and non-troll like, the links were from Customers actually using the device and reporting positive results, ...?
I’m assuming it’s a waste of my time to point out the “positive results” to which you refer are only anecdotal stories claiming they had no problem which says only that, not what you imply about efficacy of this gadget.

You are stuck in a credibility hole. Time to stop digging.
Old 21-08-2019, 09:49   #102

Quote:
I’m assuming it’s a waste of my time to point out the “positive results” to which you refer are only anecdotal stories claiming they had no problem which says only that, not what you imply about efficacy of this gadget.

You are stuck in a credibility hole. Time to stop digging.
So, when the Panamanian folks say they had continuously contaminated fuel and the unit extended filter changes, and the Navy folks say filter life was extended this, to you, says they had no problem?

And you think my credibility is weak?

Honestly, why the heck do you care whether a lot of people think these things work and why are you so invested in passionately arguing they don't? If you were correct, then the tens of thousands of users, many of whom think they do work would be wrong, and a wanker on the Internet would be right. That just doesn't seem plausible, but as I said, even trolls deserve a hobby.
Old 21-08-2019, 10:04   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Hey Sailorchic, Have you ever wondered how many bottles of snake oil Dr. McGillicuddy sold based on anecdotal reviews LOL.
Old 22-08-2019, 04:00   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
... What you are asking us to believe is that a device no where near the tank is preventing bacterial growth in the tank. By what magic mechanism do you suggest this happens magic fairy dust? Your opinion is beyond novel it's nonsense.
Let me be clear - I DON'T believe there is any merit to these devices, whatsoever!
However, since the fuel passes through the device, to the engine, where most of it returns to the tank; eventually, all of the fuel (in the tank) will have passed through it. Were it to do anything useful (it DOESN'T), it would slowly treat the fuel, in the tank.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 10:46   #105
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The device is way overpriced. That does not mean that it doesn't work. Here is an article from their site:https://diesel-fuels.com/why-bacteria-hate-magnets/
They misspell Ion channels (chammels) which looks bad but the rest of the article sounds good. Now they are selling improved versions with multiple magnets. I would be interested in what they are saying over at boatdiesel.com (I am not a member). At $800. for some aluminum and a magnet I can see why it is a contentious subject. Should be some DIY versions around. Also shouldn't be too hard to do some testing. The fact that they haven't produced a study is also suspicious. But I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I agree with Delfin. I saw a pair of them recently installed in a large Trawler and another one on a friends fuel polishing system. A lot of you might consider them a waste of money but that is what a lot of boats are (a waste of money). A large sportfisher will easily use $800. in fuel for a day of fishing, a luxury yacht, many more times that. These are the guys that are buying these things. For the average cruiser, you can replace all of your fuel several times over for the cost of one. I never had a fuel problem yet, other than leaking tanks, but mine are stainless and very clean inside. I use a little biobor and my fuel stays good for years. If you insist on using 2 micron primary filters you will get clogs no matter what.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter