Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 06:02   #1

Boat: Leopard 38
Advice on Westerbeke parts

Hello sailors,

we have a westerbeke 42B and are in need of various parts. Westerbeke parts are difficult to find and really expensive. We heard we could also check for perkins, universals and mitsubishi parts as they are the same, maybe better.

030591 parts number for fresh water pump for example, head gasket set and all hoses need to be changed.

Thank you for advice, contacts and any kind of links.

Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:33   #2

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Advice on Westerbeke parts

Do a google search for "westerbeke 30591" or other part number. Drop the leading 0 as some distributors don't use the leading 0. You'll find lots of diesel parts dealers.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:52   #3

Boat: Sabre 38

I feel you on the Westerbeke. I have a 33. If (or when) I get to the point that it needs a rebuild, I'll just be repowering because the cost will be the same (or even cheaper). I can tell you I won't be repowering with a Westerbeke, even though they do seem to be well built and long lasting. The gouging on replacements is just annoying. I'd rather pay the "real" price when I install the engine and when it needs parts.

That said, it is possible to find some parts outside of the Westerbeke network. For example, I just picked up a water pump for $50 when the dealer price was $550! I haven't installed it (its a back up), but I'm 97% it will work. I also sourced all new injectors for $300, well under a forth of the dealer's price. The heat exchanger, water pump">raw water pump and alternator can also be sourced for much, much less. It just takes a lot of Googling. However, I can't find an exhaust manifold, so I'm trying to patch up the current one. I'm not paying $1,200 (one tenth of the price of a new engine!) for a new one.

If you can figure out what block your Westerbeke is (it's probably out there on the web somewhere) and take this info and the part to a good diesel shop, they might be able to help you out. When I went in with my injectors, the guy immediately recognized the brand and had new ones shipped the next day.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:59   #4

Hi. I agree 100% with you and I am sure to find all I need. I do know my block number of my engine now and I will not repower. I will stay with my Westerbekes (catamaran, so I got 2).
A friend repowered to yanmar, result, a hassle. Will never do it again. Plus, I heard that yanmar is not guaranteeing parts for longer than 5 years after the production.
No, I'm happy with old, tough engines with almost no electronic installed. My Westerbekes sound good and strong, just need tlc anytime.

If you drop me a mail I will keep you informed about search results, dealer resources, prices, etc.

I might have found a dealer in the UK who has almost anything in stock.

I will also list my search results in this thread from time to time.
Old 17-03-2017, 08:56   #5

Boat: Gulf 32

Odd there is very little info on this engine when you Google it...

Your best bet is if possible to find out what block this is based on so you can find parts directly from manufacturer of the block.

For example, most of the Westerbeke "Universal" engines (which yours does not seem to be) were based on Kubota blocks... our experience with needing a new water pump for our Westerbeke M40 (really a Universal 5432, really a Kubota block) was difference between out of stock $500 "Westerbeke" water pump and in stock $150 Kubota pump.

I wonder if there is a Leopard forum somewhere that has built up a list of compatible parts or can help you determine which block these are based on?
Old 17-03-2017, 08:58   #6

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

Parts4Engines in the UK
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:15   #7

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Not all were kubota.
step 1. Find out what the block is
step 2. find what else the block was used for(hopefully its a tractor engine)
step 3. cross reference parts for the non-marine block. (this might exclude the marinizing parts)
for instance on my old boat i put in a westerbeke 40-4108. Same block as perkins 4108, and is also BMC leyland and is also massey Ferguson tractor engine. All my fuel parts i got were for massey ferguson from ebay, and they fit.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:52   #8

Boat: Island Gypsy 44'

I have some westy parts that are new in the box. Send me your part numbers and I will check to see if I have what you need. I will also discount below dealer cost....Thanks Bob
firefly 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:53   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Hello sailors,

we have a westerbeke 42B and are in need of various parts. Westerbeke parts are difficult to find and really expensive. We heard we could also check for perkins, universals and mitsubishi parts as they are the same, maybe better.

030591 parts number for fresh water pump for example, head gasket set and all hoses need to be changed.

Alex
Take a read:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...-parts.177652/

Once you identify that it is a Mitsu block, source your parts, you can even get a parts catalogue for the Mitsu engine. It would be easier to get them in the UK for some reason.... However, the marine components such as heat exchanger, exhaust parts, etc you need to find them here as mentioned above.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:56   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Hello sailors,

Alex
I just ordered a complete set of formed hoses for our 10kw Westerbeke genset this morning from Hansen Marine out of Marblehead MA. Expensive at $135 for the set, but not worth the time it takes to hunt everything down individually just to save a few bucks on aftermarket stuff.

Be careful, not everything is interchangable. Westerbeke changes some of the dimentions in order to make their parts proprietary. A friend of mine thought he was saving $500 by purchasing an aftermarket starter, only to find out the problem wasn't the starter, he ended up wasting $240 plus time and aggravation.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:24   #11

Boat: Niagara 35

I have the same engine, Westerbeke 42B4, and I just replaced my fresh water pump last fall. I bought the replacement pump thru eBay and I think it came right from China. It is an exact replacement and fit and works perfectly. It replaces part MM409302 for Mitsubishi Tractor/Satoh Farmtrac/Iseki Case IH. It cost $66.00 and I ordered it from Zhejiang Holdwell Group Ltd, although I think the same pump is available from others at similar prices. I bought if from them because the pictures looked exactly like my pump, including the gasket. I even painted it Westerbeke Red.
GoAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:06   #12

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

My 42B is a Mitsubusi block. I thought for years it was a Kubota but when I had my injectors rebuilt the company (that has been in buisness 50 years) said they were Mitsubusi. Vetus should have a fresh water pump for that about $125

Look for Mitsubusi K4f
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:31   #13

Boat: Shannon 38

Transatlantic Diesel Ask for Janet or Sherry. Their prices are great as is their service
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:59   #14

No, there prices are not. Paid 150 for a fresh waterpump last year. Now it's 500.
But anyway, thanks for your answer. I will keep you informed about best prices.
Old 17-03-2017, 16:06   #15

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
That said, it is possible to find some parts outside of the Westerbeke network. For example, I just picked up a water pump for $50 when the dealer price was $550! I haven't installed it (its a back up), but I'm 97% it will work.
It won't work. We did the same thing... and it didn't fit. The bolt patterns are off slightly. No way to make it work. Ended up having the original one rebuilt and ordered a new one for a spare. Yep, super expensive for the new one. (Rebuild was about $65 in Portland.)

If we ever repower, we'll put in a Yanmar.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, westerbeke