Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 10:14   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Actual Engine Room Temperature

I've tried a couple of scenarios with Squander Bucks and this is what I found works for me.
First I wanted to have the engines breath cool air so I extended the turbo intake/air cleaner filter to put the air cleaner outside the engine room under the deck.
Installed a 4 inch PVC pipe to extend the air pickup for the enclosed 8 KW generator to the outside air pumped in by a 4" Jabsco constant duty 110 volt fan. And an exhaust "snorkel" arrangement to capture the electrical generators cooling fan exhaust blower aided with another sucking Jabsco fan to the outside.
There is also a 9 inch 12 volt engine room intake fan with 6 inch duct water mist separator and a three more 4 inch 12 volt Jabsco fans - one intake and two exhaust.
So total of two intake fans to the engine room and two exhaust fans plus the two fans for the genset box itself.

What I found was this the engine room shot up to 150+ F and the genset box stayed at about 140F. Both areas have their own temperature sensors.

What I ended up doing was removing the engine intake extensions and letting the engines draw air from the engine room and open up 3 screened openings into the engine room along with the two passive air scoops on the deck. Now the engine room stays about 120F and the genset box the same.

The biggest help to the engine room is the massive air flow that is created by the engines sucking in fresh air passively.

I am satisfied with the arrangement at present and when the boat is shut down let the fans run for a while.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 23:42   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Actual Engine Room Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to one self-styled expert:
The maximum temperature of the engine room should never exceed 140 degrees F, within 3/4" of any electrical equipment (ie: Alternator), and should never exceed 115 deg. F anywhere in the engine compartment.
A common rule of thumb holds that decreasing air intake temperature by 10 degrees F will increase horsepower and torque by 1%.
From ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-37561-2.html

See also, a “professional” opinion ➥ https://www.proboat.com/2015/06/venting-the-engineroom/
What, only 1% more power for a really major (10degF) amount of cooling? So the effect on electronics is more important. I bet we get up to 130 where my autopilot computer is located and not much less where the Glacier Bay electronics for the fridge are located.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine