Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: 2 stroke outboard storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
There is no need to drain the fuel if you are using Stabil. With 2 strokes the oil you add to the fuel for some reason seems to break the gas down sooner then gas alone. If you use twice the recommended amount of Stabil in your Gerry can the gas will stay good for at least 1 year.

I've found draining the gas out of the bowl doesn't give you any benefits if you are using Stabil. For example I have a chainsaw I usually use only once a year for a couple of days to cut my years supply of wood, and I am lucky to use 1 full gallon of gas in one year. All I do after I am done with it is clean the chainsaw and spray the inside of the cylinder with fogging oil. All the gas has twice the recommended amount of stabil and never has an issue starting.

I discovered this the hard way especially with that saw after I first got it, when I let it sit untreated for 4 months then tried using it. I had to clean the carb out. Now having been using stabil in every can, I can let it sit for a year and it still starts.

I also do this with all my lawn equipment and my outboard.

P.S. I am not a spokesperson for Stabil I just really like their product.
Happy outboarding!

I have not found this to be the case with our outboard, with ethanol gas. I do use Stabil, do use approx. 2x recommendation, no improvement in longevity.

And my leaf blower is approx. the same.

-Chris
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Run it out of gas and always stabilize your fuel just in case. Cheap insurance
That's the way I was taught to do it with a two stroke outboard, from a very young age. With the new caveat, use ethanol free gas if you can get it.

Our outboards usually kept running for years, usually until they were stolen. I can't think of a single instance where one ever just quit running.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
Do you actual use twice the recommended amount? I never thought to use staybil with a 2 stroke because of the oil/gas mix, but well worth a try. I think the combination of letting the fuel burn out and the use of staybil will be a win win for me. As a man said an once of prevention equals a pound of cure. I would do anything to keep from having to clean out the carb again.
Absolutely I use twice the recommended amount with straight gas and especially with 2 stroke mixed gas. When you read the label on the back it says x amount of stabil for x amount of gallons, after that it says for up to 2 years protection double that amount. I use the 2 year protection.

In general the rule of thumb with stabil is that you can't use too much. Obviously 50% stabil and the engine wont run but you get the idea. More is better.

Personally I would be careful about draining the bowl out for long term storage. This is more speculation than anything and I am sure that lots of people here will disagree with me but here is my reasonin/observations.....

What I have noticed repairing small engines (weed wackers, chain saws, lawn tractors, outboards etc.) is that after fuel gets removed what ever was soaked in the fuel gets a white powdery coating on it that eventually hardens and gums up.

I've also notice that it seems if something was in fuel for a long time and then gets removed i.e. fuel lines, filters, gaskets. they seem to break down/rot out/degrade sooner than if they were left in fuel. It seems I replace more things that fuel has been drained out of then things that are left in fuel. .....I like to compare this to when they take artifacts out of the ocean after years of being in there they leave the artifact in salt water until it can be properly restored so that it doesn't crumble/degrade/get worse what ever you want to call it.

Lastly having always just used copious amounts of stabil and left the fuel in the tank/lines/bowls etc I have had to replace less parts and have had no problems with my engines. They all start with 1 or 2 pulls and run great.

Like I said some here will disagree with me but having always done it this way and observed what I have I vote Stabil and leave fuel in.

just my 2 cents....ok at this point maybe 2 dollars
Old 07-11-2013, 08:33   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Excerpted from Tohatsu’s “Outboard Winterizing Tips”:

“... If fogging the motor manually, disconnect the fuel line at the motor and continue running the motor until it runs out of gas. It is extremely important to ensure that the fuel system is completely drained. If not completely drained, deposits (gum, varnish, etc.) may form inside the carburetor.

To drain the fuel from the carburetor you can use one of these techniques:

As the fuel begins to run out and the motor starts to "die", choke the engine a little until the RPMs pick back up. Continue choking the engine as the engine starts to die out until the fuel supply is finally exhausted.

-or-

Remove the drain screw from the carburetor bowl and allow all fuel to drain out. Replace the screw when finished. Although this technique requires a bit more effort than the first, it is recommended to use this procedure to fully ensure that all fuel has been removed from the carburetor.

If you have fuel left in your tank, add Fuel Stabilizer to it and fill the tank to keep condensation and evaporation to a minimum.

For carbureted 2-stroke motors: If your outboard is not an oil-injected model (i.e. you mix your gas/oil manually), we highly recommend you do not store the gasoline for extended periods of time. Over time, the gas and oil will separate which will lead to a lack of lubrication to your engine ...”

More here ➥ Tohatsu Outboards: Winterize Outboard Motor Tips

Yamaha offers similar advicehttp://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites...V1_3-FINAL.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
. It is extremely important to ensure that the fuel system is completely drained. If not completely drained, deposits (gum, varnish, etc.) may form inside the carburetor.
Just to keep the debate spirited here are 2 things to consider with this statement.

1) it is impossible to completely drain a fuel system with out complete disassembly. Anyone that has ever shut off the fuel supply while the engine is running and then taken the carb apart you will see there is still lots of fuel left in the system and carburetor so......it kind of makes the point of it wont gum up by doing this moot.

2) the deposits and varnish that form in the carburetor from the fuel will also form in the gas tank which is why they recommend using stabil in the gas tank. if you can take the stabilized fuel from the gas tank and use it in the engine after storage why cant you leave stabilized fuel in the fuel system.

I am by no means saying the manufacturers recommendations are wrong. They are correct and that is a decent way to take care of things. I just believe there is a better way to do it.

I would rather know that every bit of fuel in the engine and in the tank is treated rather than hope that I was able to drain all of it out all the while knowing that there will always be fuel left in the system.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38   #21

Just to correct some misapprehensions :

All gasoline, regardless of whether it has 2 stroke oil, ethanol, stabil, MTBE, or moonshine in it, will leave a gummy residue when it evaporates. You don't want a buildup of that residue in your carburettor, so good practice is to run the carb dry or (even better), drain it.

The smaller and more modern the engine is, whether 2 stroke or 4, the more important it is to drain the carb - because the jets in the carbs are getting smaller and more easily blocked.

I agree with putting stabil in ethanol gas, but it doesn't obliviate the need to drain the carb.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:10   #22

When you drain a carb it does not get all of the gas out it only empties the bowl. There is still lots of gas left in passages and small orifices through out the carb. (if you don't believe me drain the bowl on a carb and then disassemble it over your dining room table with out putting a rag down)

When you use stabil it will prevent any and all of these passages from clogging, varnishing, or forming residue. When using stabil draining the carb becomes pointless and from my experience more detrimental then leaving all the treated gas in the carb.

Gas breaks down which is what causes varnishing. Stable stops gas from breaking down for up to 2 years therefor making it not necessary to have to drain a carburetor and or run it dry. Because it has been treated it does not break down or damage anything.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:26   #23

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The smaller and more modern the engine is, whether 2 stroke or 4, the more important it is to drain the carb - because the jets in the carbs are getting smaller and more easily blocked.
The best thing to do is open the owners manual and look to see specifically what the manufacturer recommends for storage. Some injected motors have different requirements than their carbureted brothers.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29   #24

I think this is a case of mixing up Stabil's marketing claims with facts.

According to petroleum engineers, gasoline doesn't break down in a human lifetime. Let's remember it is made from oil, which has been formed over millions and millions of years.

What does happen is that the more volatile components evaporate, making it less combustable and increasing the concentration of varnish.

I say again, all gasoline produces varnish when it evaporates, and Stabil won't stop it.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31   #25

Quote:
The best thing to do is open the owners manual and look to see specifically what the manufacturer recommends for storage. Some injected motors have different requirements than their carbureted brothers.
Opie that is such a P.C. non confrontational end the back and forth kind of statement. Although not as fun it is probably the best at this point.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38   #26

Quote:
I think this is a case of mixing up Stabil's marketing claims with facts.

According to petroleum engineers, gasoline doesn't break down in a human lifetime. Let's remember it is made from oil, which has been formed over millions and millions of years.

What does happen is that the more volatile components evaporate, making it less combustable and increasing the concentration of varnish.

I say again, all gasoline produces varnish when it evaporates, and Stabil won't stop it.
Isn't gas becoming less combustible and evaporating considered breaking down? As in it doesn't work as well and causes problems that fresh gas or stabilized gas would not have.

But more importantly if stabil wont stop or prevent problems then please tell me why does it actually work and work well?

Lets not forget the original op's question was what is a good way to store his outboard? Stabil in the gas is a good way. If it wasn't then he will run into the same problem that he just went through. I'll put dollars to donuts though that if he uses stabil in every tank and does nothing else he will not have problems with his gas gumming up the carb.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40   #27

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Opie that is such a P.C. non confrontational end the back and forth kind of statement. Although not as fun it is probably the best at this point.
Ill take that as a compliment
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:44   #28

Quote:
Ill take that as a compliment
It was meant to be. I just can't leave good enough alone though and in no way have ever been accused of being p.c. so I commend people that actually can be
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15   #29

Quote:
Isn't gas becoming less combustible and evaporating considered breaking down? As in it doesn't work as well and causes problems that fresh gas or stabilized gas would not have.

But more importantly if stabil wont stop or prevent problems then please tell me why does it actually work and work well?

Lets not forget the original op's question was what is a good way to store his outboard? Stabil in the gas is a good way. If it wasn't then he will run into the same problem that he just went through. I'll put dollars to donuts though that if he uses stabil in every tank and does nothing else he will not have problems with his gas gumming up the carb.
No, breaking down implies a type of chemical decompostion :

Chemical decomposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best way for the OP to keep the outboard running nicely is to run it dry, given that he says it's a carburetor version.

I'd still put Stabil in, but it won't be effective on its own.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57   #30

Quote:
No, breaking down implies a type of chemical decompostion :

Chemical decomposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best way for the OP to keep the outboard running nicely is to run it dry, given that he says it's a carburetor version.

I'd still put Stabil in, but it won't be effective on its own.
Where are you getting this info from? If it won't be effective then why bother even putting it in in the first place? You're contradicting yourself.

If Stabil doesn't work on its own and the only other thing you are saying to do is to run it dry. (which isn't really dry, I see how you didn't address that part) then why would you put in stabil? Obviously it doesn't work so why use it?

Case in point on my earlier post. My chainsaw sat for a few months without treated gas and gummed up. Now I only run treated gas through it and it can sit for a year with out draining the carb and start fine. Stabil works.

If the O.P. (which I'm sure is fed up and not even reading this thread anymore) does nothing but use stabil in every tank and nothing else his outboard will run after sitting without any problems or concerns. If he still wants to drain the carb he can but it is a waste of time when using treated gas. If he were to use untreated gas it would help but there is still the issue of all the residual gas left in the carb. It would still eventually gum up the other passages just not the bowl.

I treat all of my small engines the same. Stabil in the gas, fogging oil in the cylinders and after they sit for a 6 month winter or even longer if you're talking about things like my chainsaw, they all start and run flawlessly.

Lastly as far as getting all technical about gas breaking down. Even if we do consider your "respected" resource of Wikipedia (which anyone with any kind of education knows is not considered valid) but lets say it is for your sake. Everyone understands that gas goes bad after a few months to a year. Whether it chemically breaks down or just doesn't work as well it still goes bad. People use the term break down in that context interchangeably. But to be fair I will concede to you and Wikipedia that gas doesn't "break down" it just goes bad and varnishes things and only causes your engine to break down.

Tags
2 stroke, outboard, storage