Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 21:29   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Why. Used Seawind is so much Higher Price than Lagoon

Larry, you are right, the only way this thread can make sense is with a seance.

Coops.
Old 19-06-2013, 21:42   #197

Boat: Lagoon 440

FNQ doesn't pack up and disappear for the summertime, provisions are available at all coastal towns, Bowen being a favourite.

Stingers only journey on the breezes from the Coral Sea, i lived in the Whitsundays for 4 years and swam all year round, the Whitsunday's them selves are certainly overused but still offer good cruising in good seas.

Tidal heights are up to 7metres and there are large coastal watercourses that feed silt etc into the ocean more so during large tides but this is natural, there is very little pollution on this coast.

Cheers check it out.
Old 19-06-2013, 21:45   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Lagoon4us, you stated the Seawinds are more fragile? Could you explain as one of the reasons I really like the Seawinds is their stout build compared to most the charter boats.
It's my opinion that Seawinds are more fragile for world cruising for my uses compared to a Lagoon, only my opinion, i've no doubt they suit others needs.

Cheers
Old 20-06-2013, 02:24   #199
Marine Service Provider

They are a great boat for their owners and I'm glad their owners are happy with them.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:28   #200
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca View Post
Smj,

I had a Seawind 1000XL and now have a Lagoon 420. No comparison as far as build is concerned. The Lagoon is far sturdier, but also much heavier. However, despite popular opinion the Lagoon goes quite well. I have had the opportunity to compare performance recently (downwind) and so far we have kept up or done better than other cats of similar size. Yesterday we had a Seawind 1160 behind us in 15-25 kts, both with spinnaker and I had expected the lighter boat would pass us, but we did better. This was over a period of about 5 hours on the same course.

I'm very satisfied with the Lagoon.

Bob
Casablanca 420.
At last an opinion from someone who has had the opportunity to experience both boats , thank you , yes I do agree with you , the " speed" of the 1160 appears to br a bit of a myth as I to managed to not only stay ahead but leave one behind in similar conditions that you describe with a cat of similar length to the 1160 , but let's face it , even if they were quicker , the question you would ask is why rush to an anchorage to then be confronted by tight and uncomfortable sleeping arrangement . I am for the Lagoon over the 1160 , especially when the 1160 is more expensive
Happy sailing
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:34   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Seawind purchased Corsair and the Vietnam production facility and commenced the relocation PRIOR to the administration period, fundamentally it meant the company survived, had it not all staff would have been unemployed,(including all staff at the Corsair factory in HCMC). Its complex but simply put - the high dollar and the cost of doing business in Australia has seen many many business leave, eg Ford in Geelong.

On the viet vet issue, what can I say, my father fought in WW2 and was bombed by the Japanese but still managed to find it in himself to buy a Mazda. I served in the RAAF (and later the Reserve) and whilst I didnt serve in Vietnam I certainly did my bit in other places, but its a little like football, when its over its over move on. In any event if the Vietnamese people don't mind why should we, its not like they invaded us.

As an aside I spent time at the Long Tan memorial recently near Vung Tau, most moving thing I have done.
Good morning Factor
Extremely good article on the CEO of Seawind in the latest edition of the Club Marine Magazine , very informative , it also gives a " Hint" on where the brand will be going in the not too distant future .
Cheers
Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 15:45   #202
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yes - I think it gives some background and depth to understanding the company. It is however nearly two years old as an article, so "hints" like the 950 being built in Korea are no longer hints they are tested and rejected decisions. The 950 will be built in Vietnam when space becomes available, the Corsair lines have been rejuvenated, the seawind lines established, new Corsair product developed (including the new Cruze 970), so there has not been a lot of time or space to deal with the 950. But its coming and will be coming from Seawind's factory not from a third party.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 15:46   #203
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post

At last an opinion from someone who has had the opportunity to experience both boats , thank you , yes I do agree with you , the " speed" of the 1160 appears to br a bit of a myth as I to managed to not only stay ahead but leave one behind in similar conditions that you describe with a cat of similar length to the 1160 , but let's face it , even if they were quicker , the question you would ask is why rush to an anchorage to then be confronted by tight and uncomfortable sleeping arrangement . I am for the Lagoon over the 1160 , especially when the 1160 is more expensive
Happy sailing
I've never sailed a 1160 only a 1000 with stern extensions. I believe the 1000 is a little faster than the 1160. Can't say we've ever been passed by a Lagoon, passed quite a few though. You are right, the Lagoon is definitely more luxurious but we found the Seawind 1000 to be very comfortable for a couple. The salon open to the cockpit is a great concept giving great visibility, unsurpassed ventilation and a huge gathering space. It's such a good concept that now Catana and Gunboat are copying the idea in some of the larger models. We've owned cats ranging from 43' to 30' and find the mid to upper 30 footers are a good match for us. We enjoy our catamarans for the sailing experience they give us and we don't feel the need for a condo on the water as we already have a house on the water.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 21:40   #204

From distant memory only and i'm probably wrong but i thought the Seawind 1000 was the original and it was a good boat to sail but i don't think it initially had a 'Bridgedeck'.

Was the 1160 the beginning of the 'bridgedeck' evolution? I remember seeing them at the 'Sydney Boat-show' and they were not holding weight very well as the hull volumes hadn't been increased to cater for the bridgedeck addition.

Out sailing they looked way down on their lines, i was building a 'Tennent Tousissimo' for myself at the time and Tennant also succumbed to the market wanting a bridgedeck version...

I'd like to think after the 1160 hull volumes were changed, as i said maybe i'm wrong but i think that was the evolution?

Cheers Frank
Old 24-06-2013, 00:44   #205
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I was on SW1000 #1 the other day, and yes it had a bridge deck
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 02:36   #206
Marine Service Provider

Lagoon4us, you are probably referring to what appears to be a resort version or perhaps the Seawind 24.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 02:54   #207

So long ago but it wasn't a 24 as a mate had one here in Gladstone in our local races, good fun and wet....
Cheers
Old 24-06-2013, 02:55   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I was on SW1000 #1 the other day, and yes it had a bridge deck
So they weren't pods but a pure bridge deck? Too long ago for me too recall..

Cheers
Old 24-06-2013, 04:25   #209
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Our first Seawind 1000 was a 1996 model soft top version, no bridgedeck cabin. We added 4' to the sterns. Our second Seawind 1000 was a 1995 model with the hardtop and already came with after market stern extensions.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 07:21   #210

Thanks i thought that was the case, you've confirmed my hazy thoughts.

Now i believe the bridge-deck was then added without hull volume changes and that was not good for the marque....I'm not being critical i'm just trying to confirm history and Factor of all people should know more..

Cheers.

Tags
seawind, price, lagoon