Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 14:22   #1

Which Are the Faster Cantanas?

I am a mono convert and learning about multi's.I am a racer at heart and want a world cruiser that sails well.I have read a few times that some the older Cantanas are faster. Which models are the faster ones.

Currently my top three cats are the Freydis 46/49, Outremmer 50/55 light, and the Conser 47. How would any of the sugested Cantanas compare to these boats..
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 14:50   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat
I am a mono convert and learning about multi's.I am a racer at heart and want a world cruiser that sails well.I have read a few times that some the older Cantanas are faster. Which models are the faster ones.

Currently my top three cats are the Freydis 46/49, Outremmer 50/55 light, and the Conser 47. How would any of the sugested Cantanas compare to these boats..
I don't know but may I say you have impeccable tastes in catamarans!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 16:03   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Which are the faster Cantanas?

The Outie and Conser would be faster. That Conser is a partial bridgedeck cruiser where you have to go outside to go inside. The Catanas handle a much higher payload. Did the Freydis have boards? If it didn't then I would expect the Catanas to point higher. The older Catanas are generally lighter and faster but with less payload. People think the Crowther designed ones are really good. Catana went thru a heavy phase from about 2000 to 2010. They are now lightening them up especially the carbon infused ones. Even the heavy ones are highly regarded and have one many awards like Boat of the Year. Catanas are expensive to start out with but seem to hold their value pretty well.
Old 29-08-2012, 16:49   #4

Boat: Niagara 35
Have you looked at the Chris White designs? They have a reputation for speed as well
Old 29-08-2012, 17:11   #5

Re: Which Are the Faster Cantanas?

I like the newer Chris White designs, but out of my price range for now. I also lust after a Schonning Waterline 1750, but alas that is just a wet dream.
Old 29-08-2012, 17:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Maybe see if you can get the specs for the sail area to displacement ratio for various Catanas and years of manufacture. I really like Catanas as well and would even take a heavier one.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 18:24   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
I think all three would probably be faster than the heavier Catanas. Out of those three I would definetly pick the Freydis. Lerouge is a genius.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 18:41   #8

I think the Freydis is a great boat. The 50 Outremmer is smaller than the Freydis and maybe too small inside. The Conser seems good and for the right price you could get out the saw and glass and make it an inside passage to the hulls for not much more weight. Maybe phone up the company that supplies the panels for the Schonnings.
Old 29-08-2012, 19:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Maybe see if you can get the specs for the sail area to displacement ratio for various Catanas and years of manufacture. I really like Catanas as well and would even take a heavier one.
+1. They are badass boats.
Old 29-08-2012, 19:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think all three would probably be faster than the heavier Catanas. Out of those three I would definetly pick the Freydis. Lerouge is a genius.
I think the freydis would be my pick as well
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:48   #11

This vid of a catana 58 was posted before but i think it's worth watching again. And, that boat is for sale for about a mill.
Old 31-08-2012, 21:11   #12
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

Hi Forum, this is Bazcatana here,

As the name explains, I have a Catana 381.

I wanted to add a little to the post because coming off a Tornado Olympic Cat, I was looking for what the Video talked about plus pointing ability.

After the first season sailing, I asked myself what was wrong, the boat had 5 of the 6 sailing requirements, leaving alone comfort, I'll get that later when drinking my Tea.

After consultation with someone in the know (can't say the name) and have asked the question about the WIDE OPEN SLOT (I could drive a truck through it) I found out that most if not all Catana's have a wide slot because the sheets were not wanted in the cockpit.

I changed mine with the consent of you know who, and that was it - POWER RETURNED - with a full Genoa I now take her up to 35 ish deg to windward, sit and wait, and up she goes again looking for the sweet spot, all the speed you want @ 35 deg to wind doing 10/12 knots to windward, if you could keep this going, 288 miles per day.

Now I claim to have the only Catana with 5.5 of the 6 requirements to make Cats sail well. Comfort is another thing.

Downwind - Like on Rails in big braking seas. No bow burying, transom being Pooped, level boat and safe as Houses - Mine just points better.

Regards

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 22:56   #13

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana View Post
Hi Forum, this is Bazcatana here,

As the name explains, I have a Catana 381.

I wanted to add a little to the post because coming off a Tornado Olympic Cat, I was looking for what the Video talked about plus pointing ability.

After the first season sailing, I asked myself what was wrong, the boat had 5 of the 6 sailing requirements, leaving alone comfort, I'll get that later when drinking my Tea.

After consultation with someone in the know (can't say the name) and have asked the question about the WIDE OPEN SLOT (I could drive a truck through it) I found out that most if not all Catana's have a wide slot because the sheets were not wanted in the cockpit.

I changed mine with the consent of you know who, and that was it - POWER RETURNED - with a full Genoa I now take her up to 35 ish deg to windward, sit and wait, and up she goes again looking for the sweet spot, all the speed you want @ 35 deg to wind doing 10/12 knots to windward, if you could keep this going, 288 miles per day.

Now I claim to have the only Catana with 5.5 of the 6 requirements to make Cats sail well. Comfort is another thing.

Downwind - Like on Rails in big braking seas. No bow burying, transom being Pooped, level boat and safe as Houses - Mine just points better.

Regards

Barry Parkinson
Great tip, did you make it adjustable? or just move the leads, please lead us through the process of tuning your vessel to make the gains, pics of before & after would be great. Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32   #14
cruiser

Boat: Catana 381 - Tuned up

Bazcatana: Tuning up you Catamaran

I have just been asked to explain what I asked the designer of Catana Catamarans, which was, why is the slot so wide on the Catana, my notes are on the boat but I measured from the center line out to the Track Car which was 14 deg off center line.

Monohulls have 9.3 deg, and I asked what could I close it down too, when you look at self tacking Blade Jibs with a closed slot, the answer was 12 deg, it does not sound a lot but the power increase was impressive.

Putting a new track in the Coach roof was easy, it was all the moving of Winches that put me off. What I did was get an over-the-top block and positioned that on the back end of the Track (engineering job) bought a Flip-Flop block off Harken and used that to get my sheets back out to the original track & Winch, not good you say, too many blocks for smooth running, see below.

When you let go of the sheet, the little bit of extra friction with 2 more blocks in the line HELPED, it held the sheet firm, without it flying out of control.

I did some extra Engineering to get the sheets to come around the corner at 90 deg and connect to the Winch along the rear beam. Now I stand there on my own if need be, press the buttons for self tacking, let the sheet go and haul in on my 7:1 Hexa-Ratchet main sheet Offshore block system.

Yes that's right, an Offshore Hexa-Ratchet 7:1 QUICK RELEASE, one quick flick of the wrist and the sheet is gone in a gust.

I would send photos if I knew how you do that here.

All I can offer is my Email and I will send photos.
bazcatanaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

Glad to be of help for once. There will be other times I can help as well, message to the doubting Thomas's out there.

Best regards

Barry Parkinson
bazcatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59   #15

Barry, when you open the "reply to thread" box you will notice a paper clip. Click on that then browse through and select the pics that you want. Then click upload and there you are. If you have multiple windows open the pics won't load for some reason so close them all but the CF one.