Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 18:22   #31

Re: Which Are the Faster Cantanas?

Hey bairdag thanks for the Vids. I am all over a 45-49ft boat that is almost as fast as the 50'ers. Things get expensive after 50'. To under stand you all the Outremers have the same bridge deck cabin? Or is the 45 what the light 50 has?
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 18:33   #32

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The outie 55 comes in light and standard. Same hulls but the standard is about 2 feet wider. I believe it's salon is wider also.
Old 09-11-2021, 16:26   #33

Boat: Corsair/ F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazcatana View Post
Bazcatana: Tuning up you Catamaran

I have just been asked to explain what I asked the designer of Catana Catamarans, which was, why is the slot so wide on the Catana, my notes are on the boat but I measured from the center line out to the Track Car which was 14 deg off center line.

Monohulls have 9.3 deg, and I asked what could I close it down too, when you look at self tacking Blade Jibs with a closed slot, the answer was 12 deg, it does not sound a lot but the power increase was impressive.

Putting a new track in the Coach roof was easy, it was all the moving of Winches that put me off. What I did was get an over-the-top block and positioned that on the back end of the Track (engineering job) bought a Flip-Flop block off Harken and used that to get my sheets back out to the original track & Winch, not good you say, too many blocks for smooth running, see below.

When you let go of the sheet, the little bit of extra friction with 2 more blocks in the line HELPED, it held the sheet firm, without it flying out of control.

I did some extra Engineering to get the sheets to come around the corner at 90 deg and connect to the Winch along the rear beam. Now I stand there on my own if need be, press the buttons for self tacking, let the sheet go and haul in on my 7:1 Hexa-Ratchet main sheet Offshore block system.

Yes that's right, an Offshore Hexa-Ratchet 7:1 QUICK RELEASE, one quick flick of the wrist and the sheet is gone in a gust.

I would send photos if I knew how you do that here.

All I can offer is my Email and I will send photos.
bazcatanaATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

Glad to be of help for once. There will be other times I can help as well, message to the doubting Thomas's out there.

Best regards

Barry Parkinson
Hi Bazcatana,

I'm currently beginning my search for my perfect cruising boat. I noticed on this Forum that you own or used own a Catana. There is a Catana 48 for sale right now. Can I get your thoughts on this as a cruising boat? My current boat is a Corsair F31 trimaran. The Catana obviously would be a huge step up on accommodation level. Full disclosure, it is a potential question if the Catana 48 (at least the one I am looking at) would be the 1st Mate's first choice based on level of luxury requirements. A more cruisy (although lets not quit get to the FP/Leopard/Lagoon zone) might be more where her balance point lies. That being said the Catana 48 is a lot more luxury than the Conser 47 or a big tri (which is more the direction I might lean if just left to my own devices).
Thanks in advance, John
johnwilliamturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 06:10   #34

Boat: Lagoon 380

This 45' is among the fastest Catanas, built for the designer, only 2 of them built
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D80M.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	248381  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:07   #35

There are generations of Catana, by different designers:
1988-1992: Lachlan Crowther, with some interior design by Barreau
1993-1994: Crowther (died 1993) and Christophe Barreau
1995+: Christophe Barreau (beginning w the ‘xx1’ models)

These boats are very different from each generation to the next
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 03:38   #36

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Django, can you share some more details on that C45?
Old 17-11-2021, 16:41   #37

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

What about a Lerouge Barramundi 470 or 52?

Beware using Bruce numbers with cats it fails dismally when boat approaches or exceeds hull speed as multihulls do. Texel Ratings give a much more accurate measure of a multihulls performance.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 00:06   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Outremers faster than Catanas. At least the older models. I bet some weight difference there.

b.
Not really..Obviously it depends which Outremer against which Catana, under which sea/wind conditions and angle of sail....I sailed extensively with an Outremer 51 and Catana 47 (late model which is lighter than previous 47's). The Catana has standard dacron sails, while the Outremer had carbon stick and boom, hydranet sails and pivoting mast. In very light winds (4-6 kts of True wind) Outremer is faster, she can also point couple of degrees higher. Between 10-15 kts of wind, they are very close, after 15 or 20, Catana is slighly faster particularly with aft winds. The reason could be that Outremer has a standard mainsail traveller while Catana has a turnblocks and thus you can trim the main much better. After 20-25 kts of wind and heavy seas Catana feels much safer, cuts the water better (maybe due to the unique tulipe shaped hulls and high bridge deck clearance) and is more comfortable. In terms of space, Catana 47 is much better than O51 even though it's obviously not comparable to Lagoon or Bali's..
Maybe in overall, comparing the new O45 with Catana 47 would be more adequate as C47 in reality is a 46 footer.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2021, 05:04   #39

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Django, can you share some more details on that C45?
http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...0/1off45_1.pdf
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 14:03   #40

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

471 is the fastest.
That the Baz Catana 381 does so well, a catana comes into my can afford range.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 02:54   #41

I would be extremely surprised if any of the Barreau Catanas were faster than the first-gen all-Crowther boats (1990 and earlier).

Roomier, sure, and more luxurious, but that comes at a weight cost, thus slowing the boat.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote