Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2017, 09:05   #1

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Where do all the salvage boats go?

I'm in need of downwind sails and the associated additional hardware and winches required to run it on my FP48. I occurs to me that there should be quite a few unfortunate boats that will be totaled by insurance and make their way to salvage yards to be scrapped. Where do these boats end up?
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:20   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Where do all the salvage boats go?

Somebody will say "auctions" but most of them actually are swooped up by people who buy directly from the insurance companies, then "fix" them and resell them. These "people" specialize in doing this and make a living from it.

I'd go to BoatUS or whoever insures most of the Catamarans in Carib and talk to them. However, it's a somewhat closed relationship, I'm sure the insurance companies have preferred buyers/ buddies.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 09:37   #3

Yards buy them often, rebuild them and sell them.
A yard I know bought a brand new 65 ft power boat that had been dropped on the concrete when being unloaded from a freighter at a US port. The keel had been cracked logitudinally a bit. The boat had mirrors on the bulkhead and the mirror didnt even break. The buyer chain sawed the flying bridge off for trucking. Once in the yard, they cut off the aft end/cockpit of the boat entirely and extended it to 72 feet. They added a hot tub there in the aft deck. etc etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 10:48   #4

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Somebody will say "auctions" but most of them actually are swooped up by people who buy directly from the insurance companies, then "fix" them and resell them. These "people" specialize in doing this and make a living from it.

I'd go to BoatUS or whoever insures most of the Catamarans in Carib and talk to them. However, it's a somewhat closed relationship, I'm sure the insurance companies have preferred buyers/ buddies.
I used to work in yacht insurance. Back in the day this was true. By the time I left in 2012 most were indeed going to auction just not places like Ebay. Instead they went to Copart, Certified sales, Cooper salvage etc.

Most are not parted out unless they are really far gone the vast majority are repaired or at least attempted to be. The ones that are parted out are hard to find. Most guys who try the parting out business on boats don't seem to last long. All the guys I can think of currently only deal with boats smaller then about 30'
Old 25-10-2017, 12:32   #5

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Wow. I know of an FP 44 that had the dock pilings driven about 4 feet inboard and sunk at the dock. One piling was driven all the way into the winches on the cabin top. The other piling was driven to the centerline of the hull just forward of the main bulkhead. I can't imagine someone fixing that and making it anywhere close to right.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 12:51   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Wow. I know of an FP 44 that had the dock pilings driven about 4 feet inboard and sunk at the dock. One piling was driven all the way into the winches on the cabin top. The other piling was driven to the centerline of the hull just forward of the main bulkhead. I can't imagine someone fixing that and making it anywhere close to right.

It doesn't have to be close to right, it has to be $100,000 less than comparable specimens. Somebody will buy a boat that's questionable because they save the money- or can't afford one otherwise.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 08:08   #7

Boat: Scout 30

YachtSalvage.com - used boat sales
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 08:12   #8

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE

Could be a great way to buy another set of sails .... especially a spinaker or Screecher as they were probably bagged at the time and they might just be a tad wet
I think that is where the OP was coming from
but how to find who to get them from
I guess either being there talking to the salvage surveyors on boats written off might be a good start on having someone on the ground to do it for you.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:34   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Here in Marathon they are filling a near by yard with salvaged boats. I'm told the procedure is that they mail the owners and if no satisfactory response they become county property. Most of these IRMA casualties look in poor shape so they will probably be scrapped. Apparently the county has a contractor to retrieve what ever is salable before they are crushed. I assume any boat the looks salable will be put on the market but they might not bother trying to make such judgements.
From what I have seen few if any of these boats would have been insured.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:32   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

That is a good question. It probably varies by location. Probably worth looking into in your local.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:57   #11

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I'm in need of downwind sails and the associated additional hardware and winches required to run it on my FP48. I occurs to me that there should be quite a few unfortunate boats that will be totaled by insurance and make their way to salvage yards to be scrapped. Where do these boats end up?
You may find what you're looking for at
Www.nandjmarine.com
I have no affiliation with them. Acres of boats in Wisconsin. Lots of stuff online at reasonable prices. Met Jeff while answering a craigslist ad for a trailer. He sells new hdw also. He was at Annapolis show recently. I think he hauls boats too. Maybe not .
Good luck!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 04:56   #12

Boat: Lots of boats.

If you are looking for used boat parts, just go to a place that salvages the parts and sells them. Like Bacon Marine in Annapolis. Search the web. There are plenty of other outfits that sell used winches, sails, etc. Can often find what you want on eBay as well. Its a favorite place for salvagers to sell their goods.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 07:16   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

parts of the crushed boats can be found at salvor shops such as minneys and others..
funny how owners of brand new boats donot feel the need to meet the local salvor--he i s usually my first desired encounter, as i have a boat that doesnt look nice with new stainless steel stuff.
depending on the country in which you are seeking the salvor, there are rules to follow, that is LAWS. learn these then find your salvor in situ. he is not going to be online. you donot want the one speaking perfect english. seek the local who is parting out the boats after the insurance write off.
good luck.
when in usa, i just go to minneys or bacons, as the alternative is convoluted.
here, i am best buddies with the only licensed salvor in the area. yes he has parts for me.

good luck in finding that for which you seek.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, salvage