Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2024, 22:51   #31

Boat: Beneteau 36CC
Re: Water jerrycan for gasoline

Hello all
After many years of using the traditional Jerrys, without any “fireworks “ , the new style seemed costly and counterproductive. Poor design and easily broken.
Whatever you do, use what should be normal care and caution dealing with flammable and potentially explosive liquids, that is to my mind is traditional.
Paint is readily available and should obviously be used to indicate the contents.
Good fortune to all.
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 06:48   #32

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jerrycan+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

Lots of sizes, materials and types there . .
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 06:53   #33

Boat: Orion 34

It took me a fair bit of research to finally find a company that still sells the Scepter gas and diesel cans in the US. I strongly recommend that you buy the right cans and not use the blue cans for gas or diesel.

https://www.kimpex.com/en-us/product...eyword=scepter
OceanFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 09:56   #34

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
Hi all

QUESTION: can I use plastic potable water jerrycans for gasoline?
Answer: Yes, you can. You can do what you want. Whether or not you are legally allowed to do something is a different matter. Whether or not you are at risk is also a different matter.

I recommend that you get the can you like and try it. If it works for you, then continue.

I always get rid of or disable those idiotic self closing spouts as they cause more spills than they prevent. I am probably not supposed to do that but I don't care. Good luck with your search.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 11:51   #35

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanFox View Post
It took me a fair bit of research to finally find a company that still sells the Scepter gas and diesel cans in the US. I strongly recommend that you buy the right cans and not use the blue cans for gas or diesel.

https://www.kimpex.com/en-us/product...eyword=scepter
That link shows the first can with an "old style" spout I've seen in a long time. I thought those were illegal in the US now, along with the vent on the handle.

No matter. I just buy my own spouts and vents on Amazon and retro-fit the new-style tanks so I can pour them without gurgling and splashing gas everywhere.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 13:14   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If you haven't used a new gasoline jug in awhile they are worth checking out. Yes, the early versions of the new sealed cans and spouts were terrible, but the latest versions work really well. I recently had to top off the tiny tank in my snowblower with one of these, and the flow was easy to regulate and very precise. I use one with a small outboard with integral tank and can usually avoid any spillage.https://www.scepter.com/products/con...-gasoline-can/

These are even better. https://nospill.com/
Old 26-03-2024, 00:17   #37

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavierp View Post
Hi all

QUESTION: can I use plastic potable water jerrycans for gasoline?

If you need background:

No plastic gasoline jerrycans available that will fit on my boat. I need the, I guess old fashion one that is tall and not so wide as the newer ones

The potable water ones still have the old shape.
In Australia, it is illegal to put fuel in a non-approved container. Fuel rated ones have a conductive element so it avoids any build up of static. Strictly speaking containers must be sitting on the ground when being filled too.
I would be surprised if US Reg’s we’re not similar!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 04:45   #38

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
If you haven't used a new gasoline jug in awhile they are worth checking out...
It's good to see someone is finally addressing the problems created by the CARB regulations. Maybe in the future this will be a non-issue.

But for me, it's a solution to a problem I don't have. Vapor recovery makes zero sense when filling a small engine from a portable tank. I know how to use a proper, vented spout without all the expensive (and failure-prone) gadgets designed solely to meet the regulations.

I have enough "normal" gas cans (and spouts) to last the rest of my lifetime. For me, there's no need to spend extra money or experiment with all the various designs.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2024, 07:45   #39

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I have enough "normal" gas cans (and spouts) to last the rest of my lifetime. For me, there's no need to spend extra money or experiment with all the various designs.
I thought the same until I used some of the latest generation fuel jugs--just so much better! One big thing I like is the lack of venting and spillage when one of the new-gen jugs inevitably gets overheated in the sun on deck or in my car. Number two is how I can regulate the flow precisely to avoid spillage when topping off the tiny integral tank on my 4HP Yamaha outboard.

Tags
water