Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 21:54   #391

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
This is as a not too good of a shot of the mount for my 9.9 yamaha. It is a mount that was designed and built by an engineer in S. Cal. and has a lot of good features.
Hard to see but, A single Alumin. pipe with a square stock key most of the length. The collar has a notch that keeps it from rotating. IF you drop the collar all the way down you can rotate the motor. It all works pretty well. I have motored in some lousy chop and not cavitated. I would prefer to have an inboard I guess. But this works well for what we do now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB250089.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	9302  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:48   #392

Boat: in between boats
40' Searuner chaacteristics

Hey Roy M,
Looks as though we mey be neighbors soon in San Diego. I need to travel a little ways to view, survey and sea trial a Searuner 40 at a considerable expense. Could you share some thoughts on the characteristics of your boat before I make the journey. You must love it to keep her for so long. Upwind? Steady at anchor? Pay load? Can four surfboards fit in an amma? How does she handle rough seas? After living aboard for 30 years, there must not be a beter vessel for the money in your opinion. Please be free to brag about your boat to me and this forum.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 17:52   #393

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
LarryB, Searunners are great boats. Bigger boats carry more stuff and feel more comfortable when things aren't nicer outside. My boat goes to weather pretty well. No multihull goes to weather when overloaded with too much gear and peanut butter aboard. I use all-chain rode, 1/4" high test, so it doesn't sail around an anchorage like it did when it used 5/8" nylon braid and a short length of chain. Pay load is listed at about 3500 pounds for the 40, less for the smaller boats. I built my float hatches to handle a longboard. Then I sold the longboard when I needed money to launch the boat. So now, I stuff the long fishing rods inside. The floats are great garages. If I had the capital, I'd build a couple more for investment, knowing what I know now. My boat was built a little different than the plans. Randy was here a couple weeks ago to check it out. He knows what I mean. Having had a Searunner 34, he can appreciate the differences.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 18:38   #394

Boat: Farrier f27
Larryb,
Actually I had a 31' and loved it and as Roy says with a 40 apparently the amas are big enough for stowing surfboards - Not so on the 31. Roy's by the way is a great example of a Searunner and the 40 has space for a dedicated work room or the flexibility to use space as you may need.
I haven't sailed a 40 yet but believe their characteristics are similar to my smaller 31 and I can say that I've sailed closehauled for weeks in as much as 12' seas in comfort, able to cook on an ungimbaled cooktop as I would have at anchor and slept in comfort as well in those conditions. I've sailed downwind in steep 25' seas in complete control (no tendency to round up as many mono sailors talk about)

Which 40 are you looking at? I saw one for sale located in the Seattle area which sounded to be real nice.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 20:48   #395

Boat: 37 ft Searunner AROHA 3
hi larryb
i cant recommend enough how good the sea runner is
i am living on mine way down in new zealand
These trimarans are quite special i believe and have some very clever design features. as a keen surfer i beleive you couldnt get a better boat for such combination sail and surfing. because of there shallow draft you can get into some amazing spots close to the surf.
Sea Runners do take lots of work because there is just so much wood and panel, paint and little area's to look after.
but once you get on top of it all its a great feeling
Sailing off around the world to go surfing diving and exploring.
Well its gotta be i believe the best kind of boat you can get.
Smart smart smart ....... GET ONE IF YOU CAN
islandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 05:39   #396
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
The 40s are a great great boat. Like most tris, sun-protection at the helm is an issues, but thats probably my only criticism of them. Great boats - get a good one and look after it and you won't be sorry.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:31   #397

Boat: in between boats
Thanks

Thanks RoyM, Randy, Islandkid and factor,
I appreciate the insight and input. Regarding female comfort factor, does the 40 Searunner float flat when at anchor, equally on the hull and ammas, or does it rock sublty from one amma to the other? Thus the term "constant camber"? I plan on spending more time at anchor than slipped, at least until such time I have to refill the cruising coffers. At this time, I have no plans of exploring the world, I may just find myself content somewhere on the west coast of the Americas, migrating with the seasons from one surf break to another. Key words in that last long sentence, 'at this time'. The boat I am looking at can be viewed at yachtword.com. It is located in San Carlos Mex. I am only waiting on my passport renewal, expedited, should be here tomorrow, to drive down from AZ to see it. Since I know no surveyors there, I will gamble on my own ability to survey boat to my liking. Past experience with surveyors, having owned half a dozen 'project' boats, I would rather depend on myself than a strangers opinion. No disrespect intended to any certified, qualified surveyors with refferals and recent verifiable history. I only wish I could afford to hire one to travel with me to survey the boat, but that is not financially feasable. However, I am buying the boat on the hard in Mex., "caveat semptere" Having said that, Roy, I would welcome, and need, your input on particular nuances, weak points and places I should pay extra attention to in regard to this particular vessel.
Again to Roy, you vaguely refered to building a searunner or two for investment were it not for lack of capitol. I have very little capitol, but may know those who do. ????? My few friends think I am crazy for giving up what I have to do this. Truth is I have so little, and sanity is soo over rated. Now, bring me that horizon....
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 16:06   #398

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Regarding female comfort factor, does the 40 Searunner float flat when at anchor, equally on the hull and ammas, or does it rock sublty from one amma to the other? Thus the term "constant camber"?
No, constant camber refers to a construction method where panels with the same curve are made and pieced together.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 16:46   #399

Boat: Islander 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb View Post
Thanks RoyM, Randy, Islandkid and factor,
I appreciate the insight and input. Regarding female comfort factor, does the 40 Searunner float flat when at anchor, equally on the hull and ammas, or does it rock sublty from one amma to the other?
My Searunner 37 rocks a bit with waves, but in a calm anchorage she's perfectly flat. The only times I've ever had anything fall off a counter, I've been out in six-foot swells. Currently I'm anchored in a bay just outside of Victoria, with shelter from three sides but open to the ocean on the fourth, and I'm catching wake from every ship that goes past - still, she rocks no more side-to-side than she does front-to-back.

Quote:
My few friends think I am crazy for giving up what I have to do this. Truth is I have so little, and sanity is soo over rated. Now, bring me that horizon....
I move aboard back in May. Same thing, friends all thought I was crazy.

They'll keep thinking that until the first time they come out for drinks on your boat and see how you're living. Then they'll start seriously questioning their own lives...
farotherside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 17:49   #400

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
This thread has taken on an epic dimension. The truly cool thing is the number and diversity of folks who have actually experienced the Searunner series. The other cool factor is the consistency of remarks regarding these vessels and their seakindliness. I hope Jim Brown is lurking out there because he would only be overjoyed that his designs have finally reached such acceptance in his own lifetime. No boat is perfect. Each has its detractors and zealots. Jim's seem to a pretty well-adjusted lot, nobody is deriding his work on serious grounds, and the disappointed appear to be focusing on relatively minor features. That is a statement all by itself.

As for being serious about building a bunch of Searunners, I am not. At the moment, all I want to do is pay off some debt from the current troubles, finish a couple boat-related projects, and head west, then north, then back south to San Diego, and keep doing that until I croak. Besides, San Diego and Southern California are tough venues to find cheap yard space. Although, if you are in a place with lax zoning, you could build one in your backyard (I did). I am happy to share my own experiences and resources, but now, I just want to catch up with some friends as they exit the Caribbean and head west, chasing the sun.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 21:01   #401

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
LarryB check your personal msgs......man it is getting so sweet in here I may have to just throw out a few more Searunner Pics!

Larry in San Carlos all the trimaran guys have there own trailors....makes it really nice to haul anytime and reasonable to do your own work or store the boat if you take off.

Shot #2 are the "soft hanks" that we are finding work so dang good. From Colligo......oh yea in case you never saw it. The boat was featured in Colligo's newsletter....:-)

http://www.colligomarine.com/docs/ne...Jan%202009.pdf

Also check out the new catalog on the cover page.

Shot#3 my daughter on a cruise down by La Paz this past spring.

Shot#4 Mom getting some grub ready

#5 anchored in a place that was drop dead gorgeous. Looked like Moab Utah

#6 just another great anchorage, and time to spend on a great boat. As you can tell I am very happy with my little 34'. I am sure I would like a bigger one just as well if not more....on second thought...nah. I "like" them all really. I still think after 30 years of fooling around in sailboats, and being out at sea on commercial rigs, this is one of the most innovative designs ever put to sea. It just has all the combinations dialed in. And for the money, I think most of them are a steal when you compare to what the regular sailboat market tries to sell you and what you end up with is so many things that do not work well....in real life. Try checking the rudder bolts from the inside, or inspecting a shaft log, or stuff all your weight out in the amas and the ends of the boat and then wonder why the motion is so lousy, In light air you shake the wind outta the sails and can't get moving. (I am really spoiled with the weight in the middle and a super light synthetic rig up high...man she ghosts along on nothing)
It is really nice to ghost into an anchorage and know you have a board way down there to warn you if you get a little too shallow....or you can beach it if you want also...no problem. Sure beats swimming around to wash the bottom. On and On.....did I say I liked them..hahahaha...yep...:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB220084.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	9368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	9369  

Name:	IMGP3348.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	9370   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240079.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	9371  

Name:	P4250086.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	9372   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270163.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	9373  

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 02:36   #402

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
JMolan: Thanks for the additional photos.

Roy M: {...ahem }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
This thread has taken on an epic dimension.
Absolutely and in great part due to you, JMolan and Steve Rust. Not only is it one of the longest threads with relavant posts I've found on this site, it has been referenced elsewhere for instance:

Quote:
2008 note: Nina happened to be surfing the internet while at Port Hardy after repairing some broken links on svrikki.net when she “Googled” Rikki-tikki-tavi + trimaran. The search result brought up a clip from a forum that mentioned “The Rikki-tikki-tavi Solution”. Curious, she clicked the link and was taken to a boatbuilder’s forum where builders and/or owners of trimarans were discussing our transom design change! For those interested in hearing it straight from the us, these steps work great!

Quote:
"...concerning the sugar scoop steps, are you thinking of the rikki-tikki-tavi solution or something else?”
Come to think of it, that may be a bit self-referential commenting about someone else comment about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I hope Jim Brown is lurking out there because he would only be overjoyed that his designs have finally reached such acceptance in his own lifetime. No boat is perfect.
I have three more Searunner projects I intend to do (in conjunction with finishing up the 34'). The big one is speak with Jim Brown and ask him for permission to rerelease the Case for the Cruising Trimaran and the Searunner Construction Manual as a set with new photos - hopefully he would also be willing to write a forward. That way a new group of folks can see what so many already know. If there are additional proceeds, I'm sure he could use them or donate them to the Mariners' Museum.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 12:38   #403

Boat: Farrier f27
That's a good idea Maren. Maybe Marples could add an addendum on Constant Camber but he doesn't seem particularly involved these days.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 21:05   #404

Boat: 37 ft Searunner AROHA 3
wow!..... thats a really good idea.
Print again "the case for the cruising trimaran"
Especially with new pic's and idea's from jim brown.
That would have to be a winner for me..... i couldnt contain myself and would have to read again......
Searunners i believe a a genious design.
There strength is amazing with vertical ply accross the whole boat and the whole layout just so clever . Living aboard i have to pinch myself seeing the concept.
Jim has designed a boat i believe could be copied and made in glass as a production boat. These Searunners even today are so special... i cant beleive how others cant see it.... must be because the Trimaran has not got a following compared to the CAT or Mono.
islandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 21:33   #405

Boat: Islander 34
I borrowed a copy of 'The Case.." recently and loved it - my only regret was having to return it. My copy (copies, actually) of the Searunner Construction Manual are both tattered and mildewed. I would definitely purchase a copy of a reprint of both of these books.
farotherside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran