Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 14:19   #571

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma
Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
what ever the 'home' comforts of a catamaran, I know which I would rather be in if confronted with a survival storm situation....'nuff said.
Then don't put yourself in that situation! For what I intend to do, island hopping, a cat is perfect. If you are crossing the Horns, maybe a mono is for you. Either way, it's prudent not to let yourself get into survival storm situations.
Now, true circumnavigation is different, where you have no choice but to take what the sea is dishing. A mono might be better, but I truly don't know, due to moving from 40 years of power boating to a cat.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 18:02   #572

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
For me we wandered from OP topic. To reduce issue moving from mono to multi to marina slip cost issues is just lost on me. I live on the hook stay away from marinas after having been member of two clubs....
I want us to analyse issue non-emotionally pro mono or pro multi!
To me monos represent beauty and elegance of sailing, whether day sail or long term liveaboard. I cannot compare mono to multi on those terms, I havent seen an elegant multi as yet, beauty same applies. Than the feeling of sailing on a monohull also beats the flat multi sailing anytime in sensual sailing terms! However I akso chose a multihull as my liveaboard for obvioys reasons.
Taste is subjective. Im at anchor right now, a Catana cat just anchored in front, those things just do it for me, they just look right. A seawind is coming into the anchorage also, they just aren't for me. I would swap my mono for the catana but not the seawind. This is just my personal taste.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 11:47   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martkimwat View Post
what ever the 'home' comforts of a catamaran, I know which I would rather be in if confronted with a survival storm situation....'nuff said.
I am just finished reading Rosie Swale's book Children of Cape Horn. In the early 1970's she, her husband, and two toddlers sailed their thirty-foot ketch-rigged Oceanics catamaran from Australia/New Zealand, through the Drake Passage south of Cape Horn, and then north to England. Sailing through the Roaring Forties and the Furious Fifties the parents were often scared of the huge seas and Force 10+ winds; the kids thought it was all a marvelous game.

'Nuff said.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:01   #574

Boat: Leopard 39

It seems to me that most of the really anti-cat people have never owned or even sailed a cat; on the other hand, most cat owners started out as mono sailors and aren't anti-mono; they just made a different choice.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:02   #575
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reason People Are Moving Away From Monohulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
I am just finished reading Rosie Swale's book Children of Cape Horn. In the early 1970's she, her husband, and two toddlers sailed their thirty-foot ketch-rigged Oceanics catamaran from Australia/New Zealand, through the Drake Passage south of Cape Horn, and then north to England. Sailing through the Roaring Forties and the Furious Fifties. The parents were often scared of the huge seas and Force 10+ winds; the kids thought it was all a marvelous game.

'Nuff said.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:22   #576

Boat: Liberty 458

Which people?

The cat is the suv of the boating world. Apart from a few regions globally I count more monos than cats by a magnitude or more.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:38   #577
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Which people?

The cat is the suv of the boating world. Apart from a few regions globally I count more monos than cats by a magnitude or more.

Does that make a monohull the motorcycle of the boating world?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:49   #578

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
I am just finished reading Rosie Swale's book Children of Cape Horn. In the early 1970's she, her husband, and two toddlers sailed their thirty-foot ketch-rigged Oceanics catamaran from Australia/New Zealand, through the Drake Passage south of Cape Horn, and then north to England. Sailing through the Roaring Forties and the Furious Fifties the parents were often scared of the huge seas and Force 10+ winds; the kids thought it was all a marvelous game.

'Nuff said.
'Nuff said"??? I hope you will take with a grain of salt (water) and while keeping in mind that they made it, your description basically says only those with the minds of children would actually willingly sail a cat' in that kind of weather.
Old 29-03-2017, 13:01   #579

Some of the new monos are offering really large cockpits and bright spaces below for low dollars or more than comparable to many Cats. It will be interesting to see how they are out.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:12   #580

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
SNIP

your description basically says only those with the minds of children would actually willingly sail a cat'

SNIP
Back in the day that is the way my Mom described my Dad sailing his very traditional Abaco schooner which was definitely a monohull.

Funny to think that now monohull guys are turning into my Mom.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:13   #581

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Back in the day that is the way my Mom described my Dad sailing his very traditional Abaco schooner which was definitely a monohull.

Funny to think that now monohull guys are turning into my Mom.
Was your Mom ever wrong?
Old 29-03-2017, 13:46   #582

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Was your Mom ever wrong?
Not about my Dad being crazy for spending so much time, money, effort, blood, sweat, or tears on boats.

Even if all his boats were monohulls.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:47   #583

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Taste is subjective. Im at anchor right now, a Catana cat just anchored in front, those things just do it for me, they just look right. A seawind is coming into the anchorage also, they just aren't for me. I would swap my mono for the catana but not the seawind. This is just my personal taste.

Well I have a seawind 1000, and I'm OK with the looks. [emoji6] But we were also moored behind a really nice Gunboat 62 in the Bahamas last year that I thought was sexy as hell. And an Atlantic 57, same. My wife kept telling me to stop staring at them both. They must have thought I was paparazzi, taking pics.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 13:48   #584

Quote:
'Nuff said"??? I hope you will take with a grain of salt (water) and while keeping in mind that they made it, your description basically says only those with the minds of children would actually willingly sail a cat' in that kind of weather.
"Willing" has as much to do with the state of mind of the sailors as it does with the number of hulls.

The Swale's boat insurance company wouldn't insure the boat while they were in the Southern Ocean, but said that when (if) they made it to the Falklands, if a boat surveyor said the boat was still in good shape they would re-insure the boat. The Swales had no trouble getting their catamaran to pass inspection in the Falklands, and so were able to insure their boat for the rest of the voyage home.

That being said, about the only person in Australia who supported the Swales' Cape Horn passage was David Lewis, who was currently fitting out Ice Bird in preparation for the first single-handed voyage to Antarctica. Lewis gave the Swales his emergency radio (the Swales were making their trip on an extreme shoe-string budget). Later, when Lewis was dismasted twice (in a monohull...ahem...), he was unable to radio his late arrival because of his generosity to the Swales.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 14:41   #585

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Well I have a seawind 1000, and I'm OK with the looks. [emoji6] But we were also moored behind a really nice Gunboat 62 in the Bahamas last year that I thought was sexy as hell. And an Atlantic 57, same. My wife kept telling me to stop staring at them both. They must have thought I was paparazzi, taking pics.
Thats my problem, they are the sort of cats I like. I must of looked at the catana 47through my binoculars 10times the other afternoon.
No offense intended regarding your seawind, I know they are a decent boat, just not for me......some may not like the look of my boat, that's ok.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull