Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2009, 18:01   #31

A question for Craig of Spiriteddesigns:

A couple of Spirited 380's I've seen have had the mainsheet led through rope clutches on to self -tailing winches.

Is this as-per design? With a powerfully rigged boat it seems a risky arrangement to me.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 01:54   #32

I'm not sure I understand. What is the risk, and what is the alternative?

It seems to me that a cruising boat has to have some way to cleat off the mainsheet. There are conditions where you want the sheet in your hand, and there are conditions where it is safe to cleat it off and read a book. Taking the sheet off a self tailer may be easier and faster than clearing a heavily loaded rope clutch, but it seems like having both available leaves the choice up to the sailor's judgement and the conditions.

I was recently on a Nautitech 40, which has both the double-ended mainsheet and the jibsheets led to the same pair of winches, with rope clutches. Now that, I thought, was dangerous. When tacking there wasn't much alternative to cleating off both ends of the mainsheet to free up the winches for the jib sheets. That just didn't seem safe to me in windy or gusty conditions. The Nautitech is almost exactly the same dimensions as the Spirited 380 with a rig about 10% smaller.

Martin
Sparohok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 13:14   #33

IIRC the Spirited I saw had the mainsheet and the mainsheet traveller lines both led to the same ST winches via rope clutches.

Loaded clutches take a fair effort to release, and you have to be standing right by them. Also it's easy for a twist or kink in the rope to jam entering the clutch.

IMHO it would be less risky to use cam cleats on the mainsheet tails after the winches. Just a matter of lifting the mainsheet out of the camcleat to release it, and it can be done from further away.

The traveller could use multi-part purchases on the control lines, and cam cleats, or it's own dedicated winches.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 17:09   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
A question for Craig of Spiriteddesigns:

A couple of Spirited 380's I've seen have had the mainsheet led through rope clutches on to self -tailing winches.

Is this as-per design? With a powerfully rigged boat it seems a risky arrangement to me.

Mmmmmm, I suspect they will change that after the first one falls over.
Seems like a strange place to save money.
Old 30-03-2009, 16:12   #35

In reply to 'Josier' (John F). The hatch layout as chosen on our own boat Spirited One (the prototype) was trialled on this boat. To correct you, the original engine hatch design (single hatch) to date as included in our plans has been very successfull.

I see a comment further on querying the choice of using clutches on the mainsheet system. My view is simple, and I agree with Sparohok (Martin) who suggests that it is up to the skipper to use their judgement in this respect. If in gusty conditions I always advise to sail conservatively ie: reef down to limit healing/overpowering. On the Spirited 380, the clutches can be left off if required, leaving the sheet on the winch for easy dumping. Even though the main and traveller share a winch each side, if racing/manning the sheets you can tend to the main from one winch and the traveller from the other.

Hope this clarifies?
SpiritedDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote